Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ball damage

I have a pair of lanes that is putting scratches on balls after about 30 throws. some times 2 or 3 might get scratched wihin a few throws and then go a long time before anything else will happen. The problem is now spreading to another pair of lanes. The manager and I have removed the subway covers, visualy inspected and felt every inch of the rails, nothing. We have gone over every inch of the pits with a flash light and bowling ball. We could not find any metal that came close to the ball. Realinged the uprails to give equall clearence to the ball from the pit walls. I even loosened the hot dog on the ball door rings and used a scisor jack to sread the rings a little bit further apart. We have pulled the front lift (sprectrum) checked the intire assbly and lift rail section. Also pulled the PBL, every thing checks fine. All rubber is in very good condition. We are at a total loss as to what is happening. This has been going on since Friday. The only thing that I can think of is the lanes. The front ends are pretty rough. The last time they were resurfaced was in Aug of 2003. They are getting done on May 8. Along with the flat gutters and tail plank cap. I am going with synthetics. The pindeck edge boards have already been done. Any Ideas would be helpfull or suggestions on were to get enough rubber coat to paint my pits would be nice to. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/usflag.jpg[/img]
    SGT
    U.S. Army/AVN
    Retired

Re: ball damage

We've had problems before with the ball "rocking" on the rails thru the underground capping. The shavings might be hard to see if the balls are just getting little scratches.
    Valkyrie: The American made motorcycle that Harley Davidson WISHES it could build.

Comment

Most of the scraches are only 1/4 - 1/2 inch long. You can just grab them with a finger nail. We are at a loss.
      SGT
      U.S. Army/AVN
      Retired

Comment

Are they in the track area of the ball for the most part? The last job I worked from which I was fired...ooop's I mean resigned, nine feet from the foul line, board 16, a broken drill bit had unscrewed itself because the lanes were resurfaced this summer and loosened the broken bit when they were injected years ago. When you pull the lino duster, does the paper get torn?
        Yeah but, We've always done it that way.

Comment

Door weldments not being level will cause this problem (exact symptom as you describe). Check the securing hex head bolts for tightness or possible rounding of the CNC drilled holes in the Kickplate. Look for shavings under the paddle, PBL and lifter assembly.

Al : { )

Comment

I think today I am going to cover any thing that might be a possibility with tape. That way I can look and see if any have scrapes in them after balls are thrown.
            SGT
            U.S. Army/AVN
            Retired

Comment

I had a nail in a carpet once... [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/burningmad.gif[/img]
              So it goes.

Comment

We had a similar problem, drove me crazy looking for it. Turns out it was a metal tie bar under the lane bed in the head area. Would work itself over near the underlane, scratch a few balls, then from getting hit by a ball, get moved out of the way, making it impossible to see. You have to get down with a bright light and look for it in the subway path, you may just see a corner of it.

Comment

If you have AMF plastic gutters, check the METAL couplers that connect the two gutter pieces together, there are several in each gutter on both sides. When the screws work loose and stick up, or if the metal coupler is sticking out, that can scratch the ball as you describe. It's probably something simple, usually it's something obvious. Just follow the path the ball has to take from foul line to machine to back to bowler, and you WILL find it. (Sometimes easier said than done).

I have to also agree with Klixon as I have had that experience as well.

Comment

If the scratches are on the track, then most likely it’s something on the lanes. How’s the condition of cushion and shock? I’ve seen a bad shock that will launch the ball forward hitting the table and kickback panels. Also, worn cushion rubber will expose the bolts.

When I run into these mysterious damages…I will vacuum under the subway (including under the approach) and under the machines. Mop the gutters including the flat gutter. Then let the porters (and yourself) throw a ton of house balls (different weights) at no pins. Instruct them to throw hard and even in the gutters and corner pins and to look for scratches on different shots. Eventually, the shavings have to show up somewhere.

Triac

Comment

Ahhh yes, the mysterious pile of magical multicolored ball shavings. If you rub the pile you get three wishes.

Comment

I have had balls scratched in that matter in the ball lift.usally where the ball leaves the top v-wheel, the plastic guides get worn or pushed back and the ball hits the edge of the metal bracket.

Comment

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          I have a pair of lanes that is putting scratches on balls after about 30 throws. some times 2 or 3 might get scratched wihin a few throws and then go a long time before anything else will happen

Yeah, That to me sounds like something in the gutters, I'm saying that because you did not mention if you had checked them. Something that intermittent is probably about the same frequency as when a gutter ball is thrown, know what I mean? Something to think about.

Comment

Try isolating sections of the lane and the ball return. Throw a ball down the lane with the pit off and have another person check for damage. Then put balls in the pit and catch one as it comes down the rails. Work your way to the tracks and then let the balls come up the return.
                            It may take awhile, but it will divide the different areas and make it easier to find.
                            "Gun control is the policy of tyrants"
                            Rep. Rob Bishop (R-UT)

Comment

I appreciate the Ideas. I think I found the problem. About 20-25 feet down the lane were a couple of pebbles imbedded in the lane. Dug them out and then thru 40 or more balls and came up with no scratches.The 2 different pebbles just happen to be in 2 different lines. Only the people that use them would actually hit the rocks every now and then. Thanks for all the ideas.
                              SGT
                              U.S. Army/AVN
                              Retired

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                              Working...
                              X