Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (Military) OSHA B/S

Hi guys,
    Just had a Unit Compliance Inspection, got wrote up for not having a Lock Out / Tag Out program on my 82-70s. Team wanted a box to lockup the main power plug, preventing someone from turning the machine on. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/burningmad.gif[/img] Anybody else doing this?
    Cheers,
    Steve

Re: (Military) OSHA B/S

remember OSHA, along with alot of other regimes just wanna make everything illegal so anytime they want, they can come get some money. Unfortunately it is a reg, as to whether or not anyone actually does it, (other than having one to show the pencil neck) my internet connection is breaking up

Comment

Yeah, we do it everytime a machine needs to be "down" for a repair. BPF's don't rate a lock-out box. We have a lock-out box hung on every machine and we have to use them. It's called C. Y. A.. They didn't ask us if we liked the idea, we just have to do it. If you get slightly injured and need medical treatment, someone is going to ask why you didn't lock-out the mach.. They could terminate you. C.Y.A.
      "Gun control is the policy of tyrants"
      Rep. Rob Bishop (R-UT)

Comment

Ball return on 28 you say? Sure thing. Lemme just climb up on top of the machine, unplug the machine, put the lock out box around the plug. put the lock through and secure it, then climb back down to clear the pin blocking the ball, then climb back up, get my keys out, unlock the lock, remove the lockout box from the plug, and plug the machine back in. A 5 second remedy turns into a 2 minute endeavor. The customers would love that.

Comment

amfpinboy,
          Would you have a grainger part number or the like so I can push it up the chain for $$$.
          When you work for the government, CYA is huge. But, it does not make me like it. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]
          Cheers anyway,
          Steve

Comment

Steve, We have the UCI coming very soon and you better believe that I've got my LOTO in order...We just had our annual saftey inspection and LOTO is what they looked at the hardest...I lock out every time I have a major repair,even for pile-ups and ball returns.j/k [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]
            Lifes to short to stress on little things.

Comment

BG, Minor calls don't require a lock-out box, but the mach. should be shut off to do a lot of small stuff. I use a lock box adaptor plug for the lock-out box. When you're doing a carpet job you can plug for the pit light. The mach's. on either side need to be locked-out when you're doing a pit. I don't like useing the boxes, but that's S.O.P. now. Ya get used to it.
              "Gun control is the policy of tyrants"
              Rep. Rob Bishop (R-UT)

Comment

Originally posted by BG:
                Ball return on 28 you say? Sure thing. Lemme just climb up on top of the machine, unplug the machine, put the lock out box around the plug. put the lock through and secure it, then climb back down to clear the pin blocking the ball, then climb back up, get my keys out, unlock the lock, remove the lockout box from the plug, and plug the machine back in. A 5 second remedy turns into a 2 minute endeavor. The customers would love that.
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Too true. I have a LOTO station right outside my shop. When OSHA pussheads come around to hassle me, with their "Do you have lockout/tagout protocols in place?", I just point to it and go about my business. But they always find something to whine about.
                My mom always said there was one crazy person on every bus,... but I could never find him.

Comment

About 10 year's ago I went to work for a guy who leased a center.

When I showed up the first day, he instructed me to boot the mechanic whom I was replacing, needless to say he didn't take it too well.

About a 3 weeks later OSHA shows up and writes us up for the follwing.

1. The B.E. motor's were wired directly
                  2. CWC's were left open
                  3. AM&amp;C boxes were open
                  4. Lane machine power cord showing wear
                  5. Chassis covers missing
                  6. Ball lift guards missing
                  7. No lock out proceedure
                  8. The soda vending machine power cord frayed

And a bunch of odd ball thing's which was all caused except 1 item by the mechanic I booted.

It all amounted to nearly $15,000 in fines, Which we were able to get reduced because of the new ownership and correct all the problems.

Comment

Locking out for minor machine stops seems a bit unnecessary. But locking out for more major repairs, maintenance and adjustments COULD SAVE YOUR LIFE!

Ray
                    Ray Jordan
                    Cybernetic Solutions/tenpintec
                    Australia

Comment

yes it is bs iam at barksdale afb base and we got wrote up for the same exact thing but the deal is last year when we had a uci the inspector told me that i didnt need a flippin lockouttagout those fluckers need to make up their mind!!!!!GRRRRRRRRRRRR
                      DEFINITION OF MANAGER IN THE 21ST CENTURY: (ADULT BABYSITTER)

Comment

This is a TRUE story of some of the craziness exhibited by compliance officers:

A factory had a power switch located up on a gantry that required climbing a set of steps and walking across a platform to shut it off... Turning it off in a hurry was not an option unless someone was standing on the catwalk by the switch. This was not acceptable, so an acceptable option was to install a $900 remotely-operated contactor with an 'off' switch at the ground level... which still required climbing the gantry to turn it back on.

The suggestion was made to attach a piece of nonconductive nylon rope to the switch handle, so it could be pulled from the ground level to turn it off, after which it could be reset later by going up the catwalk to switch it back on (just like the contactor).

The suggestion was nixed by the safety officer, because "The rope could inadvertently be pushed upward, turning the switch on."

That makes good (non)sense, doesn't it?
                        <span style="font-style: italic">Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis</span>

Comment

"The suggestion was nixed by the safety officer, because "The rope could inadvertently be pushed upward, turning the switch on."

I hope this guy doesn't have children. Darwin award winner possibly.
                          Save the environment, eat more beef.
                          No more Ethanol, save Beer.

Comment

LOTO is a replacment for common sence. 18 years, and I have never had to use a pad lock to keep my head attached.

Comment

Originally posted by JimDorsin:
                              LOTO is a replacment for common sence. 18 years, and I have never had to use a pad lock to keep my head attached.
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Paul, you might have common sence, but a fellow emloyee might not. Look at it this way, what if you were working on a pit or underneath a table and you have the machine unplugged and power switch off and somebody comes walking by and see's the power off and that it's unplugged but they don't see YOU and end up powering up the machine with you in it...I can say this from experience...When I was the Head Tech at my sons' grandfathers center (GS-10) I was in the pit doing some work, the owner (my sons grandfather) came through the front doors saw the sweep down at guard on a machine, he comes to the back to see what's up and doesn't see me working in the pit and powered the machine back up and hit the reset with me in there. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/burningmad.gif[/img] I screamed "turn it off" just as I started to take a ride on a T-Band and he shut it back down...I was pissed and came flying out of the machine asking what the fuk he thought he was doing, he said that he thought I had been cleaning the machine and forgot to turn it back on since he didn't see me anywhere in the shop or around the center...He is one of those owners that dosen't like to see a machine down for too long...He never touched a machine again while I was still working there.
                              Lifes to short to stress on little things.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                              Working...
                              X