Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's no yoke!!

Have two lanes a present with the same severe problem. When the table comes down on re-spot the cups mainly the 2, 4 and 5 touch the tops of the pins resulting in the occasional pin falling over [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif[/img]

The main cause of this problem is that over time and damage the yoke has become bent. It sags downward in the middle so the 2, 4 and 5 pin cups are all sitting lower than the rest.

At first, I ensured 19' front of machine height. Set table up as high off the pin deck as possible. Adjusted the toe-in at re-spot position to ensure the cups wouldn't interfere with the pins, and set up the table from there. Unfortunately could not gain a good spotting action and pins would wobble on spotting. It just wasn't good enough!!
    (Unfortunately buying a new yoke is not an option at present)

My good friend and colleague James, suggested that we invert the yoke. So we took it out and turned it upside down and reversed all the components on it. Fair enough there was no little groove marks for the springs to hold onto, but didn't see that as being an issue. The assembly was able to be reversed with out too many problems.

The yoke was a bit difficult to re-build due to the hellish bend. The tie-bar was not easy to re-assemble, but was do-able. Set up the table, (as low to the deck without touching) and managed to spot pins on spot without wobble and no interference with the cups on re-spot [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif[/img]
    Bring me the freshest "Mean Green" known to man! Juice on!

Re: It's no yoke!!

Put a yoke repair kit at the bend.

Comment

I forgot to menchion that the yoke had been welded in two places before.

Comment

THROW IT in the garbage

Comment

If your initial check of the table height-19" was wrong,what is the procedure you use for setting this height without having equipment to support the front of the m/c?
          The reason I ask is because I have a few m/c`s that need adjustment to get this measurement.
          Thanks,
          Triforce.

Comment

Alastair,

Embassy Services had some reasonably priced Yokes in a while ago.

Can't remember how much they were though.

Comment

When setting the machine height to 19'' I used a wooden post cut to the measurement to help with this. Measuring from the pin deck to the bottom leg of each of the four corners of the machine. You can use large washers or c washers to raise the machine up. Simply loosen off the two bolts connecting the front of the machine with the pit, and then use a crow bar to lift up the machine and insert the washers where required.

We also have another yoke which is bent but has not been welded. Don't fancy breaking the yoke to use the repair kit!! Will probably end up turning it around too, as this method worked quite well.

Comment

I am with Lustre..... If it has already been welded twice, its lived its life.... Sounds to me like it is time for a new yoke... I would save the extra $$ and get just the yoke (not yoke and bearing assy) the bearings have little to no actual use in the yoke, and rarly go bad. They can be transfered.

Comment

well said jim, i agree whole heartedly.
                  Don't mind me, what you read is invisible.

Comment

Jim I have to say that I disagree. Whenever I have seen a yolk break there is a frozen bearing near the break. Bearings are cheap also have some spares and check them all prior to moving cups etc.

I agree they can be welded two times by a qualified welder, we made a jig and have a welding God do ours. Most of the welders up here are artists, really! Rich and famous like metal work.

I want to let you know that we got a spare complete yolk. We made it over time with parts we got a deal on. This really releaves a lot of stress when a yolk breaks.

It was well worth the effort of creating the spare. Now the spare can be put on without canceling a league.
                    The problem is usually harder to find than to fix.

Comment

I have never seen one break due to a bearing, but I see how it is concievable. All the ones I have had break were from a pin falling through..... but that is a different story....lol Either way, odds are that all 8 aretn bad, and since this is the same as the clevis bearing, you should have a few on stock....

Its really not that much more to get the whole assembly, but I see too many bearings in the garbage that way that are good...lol

Comment

We have just had three break in the past two years all have been at the three pin and the bearing has been frozen. I agree if there is a bad bearing the others are usually OK.

Luckily when we have pins fall through the shuttle we mainly break spotting cups. So Far--- I probably just geve my self a kiss of of death and we will probably have a pin fall through tonight and breat a shuttle.
                        The problem is usually harder to find than to fix.

Comment

nice idea Alastair, next time i speak to you let me know how it is working.
                          maister

Comment

Tri Force ,

Sorry forgot to say that you should also loosen off the track holding brackets too. There are two of them. One at the apex of the PBL, where the ball duster cloth attaches, and another bracket further down, with a allen key bolt. (or it is on my machines)

Comment

Yeah,thanks for that info Alastair.
                              Will be checking our m/c`s shortly for table settings etc.
                              Good initiative with the yoke Alastair!
                              Did a table set up in a different centre last week and got told by the senior eng that the back row of pins would`nt spot correctly.Found that there was no counter balance springs connected!!!

Triforce

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                              1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                              First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                              our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                              Working...
                              X