Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• running a PBL without...

thimbles on the bottom will do what?

I shimmed out the lift rails on a pair and then the thimbles started putting dull scratches on balls (thought they were there to avoid this??). Took them off and no more scratches or problems as of yet. But it seems there's a lot of exposed metal down there. Am I going to cut up balls or what?

Re: running a PBL without...

You Shouldn't but I did it for about 2 months with no probs. long term I would say there'll be lots of huge golf balls around...........
    I'm a proud member of www.bowluk.com

Comment

Ive ran without without any problems. bought all our PBL's Used, didnt know i needed them. Until i noticed another house had these thimble lookin things on them

Comment

They are called ball guides. All they are suppossed to do is to help center a ball as it is being lifted. I have them istalled on most of my machines.
        SGT
        U.S. Army/AVN
        Retired

Comment

I wouldn't advise running a PBL without the ball guides. A ball hitting the end of the rail where the exposed screw is leaves a very nice crater. It would be rare when it happened, obviously, but it would only need to happen once to really damage a ball.

Comment

You will get ball damage and split lower rail covers. maybe not at first but you will hae problems.
            Please.....follow the instructions!!

John
            804-240-4982

Comment

Try the orange AMF urethane thimbles, they work great!
              I don't think our machines would return any ball without a thimble{metal or urethane) but I've never tried it and I ain't gonna try it...
              So it goes.

Comment

I've never seen the orange ball guides. Are they as durable as the metal ones?

Comment

Humpbacks are installed without thimbles.

I would think you could survive a PBL without thimbles easier dur to the ball already being centered.

You could use the lower Lifelong rail covers for durability.

Comment

Thanks for the tips. Shimming the lift rails really helped with the yo-yo's but I cant leave it like that at the expense of cut balls. Urethane ball guides sound safe enough. Got a part # for those?

Comment

Its also possible I went over board on the shimming. I used 1/4" thick steel washers because I wanted to see if shimming the rails actually worked or if I was just wasting time.

Comment

Originally posted by 82/30 king:
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yes they are. However they do have the plastic/urethane one-piece ball guide that mounts on the top of the lift arm bracket and protrudes into the area where the thimbles would be on a PBL. I purchased 4 used humpback systems and one of them had a broken one piece ball guide, so I used the metal PBL ball guides instead. They worked just as well.

Comment

I would think that the thimble / ball guide is a necessary.

I tried the shimming out of the rails and it worked ok, but then I moved onto installing the thimbles and AMF's gripper up-rails. The yellow colured ones made from neopropane. No need for the whole expensive PBL upgrade kit. Just install the rails and adjust the PBL accordingly.
                          They work very well so far!
                          Bring me the freshest "Mean Green" known to man! Juice on!

Comment

Originally posted by BG:
                            </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by 82/30 king:
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yes they are. However they do have the plastic/urethane one-piece ball guide that mounts on the top of the lift arm bracket and protrudes into the area where the thimbles would be on a PBL. I purchased 4 used humpback systems and one of them had a broken one piece ball guide, so I used the metal PBL ball guides instead. They worked just as well. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The new install process does not utilize ball guides.

Comment

Does anyone have a picture of these ball guides? From what has been discribed I don't have any on my PBL's. Never even heard of them.
                              There is always more to life, but would someone tell me what it is!

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Approach Wear - DBA IQ/Anvilane

Our approach panels have a lot of wear at the joint between the first approach panel and the approach/heads panel. Nearly every one has the printed image worn through to various...

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                              1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                              First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                              our technician is working full time on another...
                              Working...
                              X