Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Instalation question, need quick response!

Collapse

Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Instalation question, need quick response!

I'm working in a new center that is still in it's construction phase. The machines are going in now (8270's). But the Head Mechanic of this new center, another Head Mechanic from a sister bowling center, and I all noticed something that I'd like to get some opinions on.

When you look across the pinspotters from one side of the house to the other, the back of the bins should be lined up. Or be pretty close to it. One machine shouldn't be sitting further back than the next one. Are we wrong? I've been in and seen four other centers with these machines, I've worked in three of them, and all of their bins lined up.

But the crew installing these say it'll be fine. We, the head tech and I, are concerned that it's going to cause huge headaches for us in the future. And we are also concerned that they are trying to get out of there by the end of this week, so they are rushing things.
    9th Amendment!

Re: Instalation question, need quick response!

Start bitching loudly.

It is much easier to fix this now rather than band aid it later.

Comment

All mine are lined up. I've only had to move one machine, and it's a bitch.

Sounds like the crew that installed our new lanes. They say it'll be fine, but the minute they leave it causes problems. Now we got another crew coming in the fix the other crews problems.

Mike
      Mike

Comment

This is deffinately not right. Get them to fix it now before they leave.
        Save the environment, eat more beef.
        No more Ethanol, save Beer.

Comment

If the 7 - 10 lines were scribed up the kickbacks and marked right, they should line up.
          "Gun control is the policy of tyrants"
          Rep. Rob Bishop (R-UT)

Comment

Is there something in the service manual that I can point to and say "Look, it's wrong!"?
            9th Amendment!

Comment

Call carl klauck at AMF tech support. He can fax you the machine install specs.

Mike
              Mike

Comment

It may be an illussion, If one side of the bin sits lower then the other side then it looks like they're not in alignment with each other.

Stand on top and look down where the front ends meet side by side if they're offset from one another I would get all over the installer.

Comment

Get a camera and start taking ALOT of photo's. Try and get as many angles as you can. If this should go to court. A picture is worth a thousand words.

P.S.
                  Should they happen to ask why the photo's. I'd tell them it will be evedence when this go's to trial if they dont install things correctly.
                  Even a old dog can bury a bone

Comment

I would be shooting a laser for accuracy to determine exactly how far things are off. Just remember…If not up to your satisfaction and you find it to be out of specs, don’t sign off.

Triac

Comment

I've been thru an install where the machines didn't exactly line up,maybe an inch or so difference.Didn't have any problems because of it,but I'm not saying it won't cause problems later, only time will tell.

Comment

Fellas,
                        The length of the lanes can vary up to an inch. With used wood lanes, it will be more evident. new synthetics though, it should be lots closer to '0' difference in length. So, the kickbacks might be marked correctly.
                        The problem might be alignment of the ball door if the adjacent lane is too far off.
                        Once you've got the ball doors aligned, the front roller of one lane might be too far away from the tailplank, so here comes pins rolling at the flat gutter! [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif[/img]
                        This post is not an unpaid promotion of my business.

Comment

Never trust existing markings on kickbacks. Never assume that the kickbacks are evenly placed at the same distance from the foul line. For this reason you can NOT trust that the Unistrut on the re-cycled kickbacks is properly placed.

For 8270 front-end machine placement, the offset for the odd-lane from the actual '7/10 line' (spot center to spot center) is 5/8" behind this line to the center of the rear mounting jackscrew in the Unistrut. The AMF manuals show for placement that the front edge of the middle square machine frame strut should be 13 5/8" from the '7-10 line' (resulting in the above off-set measurement). The bottom of the machine frame to the pin-deck should be 18 7/8".

Given that the lanes meet the following standards, the front-end motors on all machines should be in a straight line (the bins can be slightly mis-alligned on first installation because of spring placement, bending and other considerations). Another place to judge is that the catwalks should be parallel and level to each other on the common side (again the entire set of machines).

Lane length is not an issue here. I believe that Ted is referring to the tail-plank as the 1" +/- variance. The effect here is the required curtain to tail plank distance specification must be ensured.

1. The overall length of a regulation lane, including the pin deck, has a reference dimension of 62 feet, 10 3/16inches, measured from the lane side of the foul line to the rear edge of the pin deck (not including the tail plank).

2. It must be 60 feet, plus/minus 1/2inch, from the lane side of the foul line to the center of the No. 1 pin spot.

3. It must be 34 3/16inches, plus/minus 1/16inch, from the center of the No. 1 pin spot to the rear edge of the pin deck (not including the tail plank).

If you have checked the '7-10 lines' on these machines and they are still out of 'dead straight' alignment I would strongly recommend that you start measuring for compliance distances shown above. If these are not correct, you will not pass sanction. I would recommend that you have the local association come and check this installation before the back-ends are placed to ensure you will pass.

The installer is responsible for making this 'right'.

Comment

I think that lane length like Ted said is a very important issue! During installation, you allways line up each individual machine with the 7-10 pin line of that particular lane. If your lanes are different in length (like most used lanes are), your machines will not line up! This is not a big deal, because the only thing that is really important once they are running, is that the machine will spot the pins OK every time it puts them on the deck, and that you have enough play in the spotting rod, cups and spotting latch to readjust if nessecary. I do totally agree that this is not a very nice way of building a bowlinglane, and that it is the fault of the installers but unfortunately I have seen this happen too many times before here in Europe. What you should check very carefully is that the two Back Ends of each lanepair are aligned properly. If not, you will get problems with your balltracks and ballifts, and you will have a hard time taking out your rear rollers!
                            Allways check each and every pin for proper spotting before you let the installation crew go home!! If your machines are installed properly, they should all be exactly on spot without wobbling. If not, and it can not be readjusted in a few minutes time, it could indicate a problem in the machine setup that will haunt you for the rest of your time as mechanic in that centre!
                            If a machine doesn't want to be fixed, it will let you know. Over and over again!

Comment

The lanes are not used, they are synthetic. And the end of the pin decks looked dead straight all the way down before the machines started going in. They still swear that it's not going to be a problem. I had a look at the pinwheels, and they look straight from one side to the other. We'll see what happens when they start to fire up those babies.
                              9th Amendment!

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                              1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                              First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                              our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                              Working...
                              X