Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bouncing table

so i have this bouncing table problem. I'm looking at my table drive assembly and the key is a little worn. So i'm going to replace that but I also have bearing 000 021 905 that i need to replace. This is driving me crazy. I've pulled the table drive assembly, shuttle operater and solenoid assembly off so i can get to it. should i pull the sweep motor and transmission off so that i can use a bearing puller to pull the bearing retainer and bearing off? or am I going at this the completely wrong way?

gotta get this machine up and running. silly me thought this would be a fast easy fix.

Re: bouncing table

Casey

If the shaft is going to be replaced. I'd cut the shaft with a saw's-all. Then you can work on pulling bearings on the work bench or in a vice.

It only takes about 2 minutes to cut thru the shaft with a metal cutting blade. And it's ALOT easier working on the bench.
    Even a old dog can bury a bone

Comment

No I wasn't planning on replacing the shaft. That bearing is shot and needs to be replaced. The shaft seems to be fine, not slipping in the transmission that I can tell.

Comment

hey Casey, Do you think its the table shaft bearing that's bad?? if so, that bearing is easily changed if you have the shaft out. There should be two slots in the bearing housing , and once the shaft is out, turn the bearing perpendicular to the housing, line the outside race up with the slots,and it should come out on the mtr. side ,not the table dr. side.. You don't need to remove the solenoid, or any of those components. Are the bearings in the end fitting that goes to the table drive clevis okay??? That can cause table bounce also.
        People tell me I'm indecisive, but I just don't know...

Comment

Other things that can cause a 'bouncing' table;

1. Loose table drive on shaft/bad table drive eccentric bearings
          2. Bad gearbox
          3. Bad splines on table shaft
          4. If only during spotting, improper adjustment of table yoke and/or springs
          5. TA1 out of adjustment (tables coasts back from 355 then bounces back up)
          6. Worn motor brushes or 'loose' gearbox-usually in combination with #5
          7. Bad table drive clevis bearings (3 total)

Comment

Normally I always replace the shaft and bearing as a pair regardless of which one is shot. Just too much work to have to come back a year or two to tear it all down again when the other component goes out. This way, all should be good to go for at least 15 years.

Casey,

You shouldn’t have to remove the sweep motor/gearbox. Also you won’t need a bearing puller. I don’t know if you are aware of this….The bearing is eccentric with a slip collar. You loosen the set screw on this collar and find the hole in the collar. Use a punch in this hole to turn the collar until you can back it away. If it doesn’t loosen, try to get it to rotate the other direction. Once the bearing assy (or shaft) is out….follow TA2’s advice on how to the bearing out of the retainer.

Triac

Comment

ok thanks for the help I was able to pop the collar off and the bearing and retainer eventaully came off with some help...the shaft is so burred/marked up that the old bearing didn't simply slide off. So I think I'm just going to replace the shaft. this should be interesting. no instructions and nobody to guide me.

Comment

Note: I remember the book saying something about removing the pit light before beginning a table shaft removal…but, I don’t know if this is necessary…its been awhile since I’ve done this.

Basically the next step is to remove spot and respot springs and rod ends (and maybe the table gearbox to make it easier manipulating the shaft and cams. Leave gearbox on until springs and rod ends are off as you will may need to crank motor to position cam followers at lowest position.

Loosen the shuttle cam and shift it to remove the key.
                Loosen the switch cams so they can be shifted.
                Leave the spot and respot cam alone so that it can be measured before putting on a new shaft.

Now it’s just a matter of manipulating the cams and shaft until it comes out.

Hopefully someone will chime in if I forgot something.

Triac

Comment

so far so good...i found a bent shaft going through the spot and respot arm assemblies, also the spot/respot cam on the shaft itself is really worn, has a nice grove in a spot. So I'm without parts for a couple of days and at a stand still. all in all its a not so fun experience so far.

Thanks for all the input, you guys have been a big help. I'm always a bit nervous when jumping into something I haven't done.

Comment

Originally posted by triac:
                    Note: I remember the book saying something about removing the pit light before beginning a table shaft removal…but, I don’t know if this is necessary…its been awhile since I’ve done this.

Basically the next step is to remove spot and respot springs and rod ends (and maybe the table gearbox to make it easier manipulating the shaft and cams. Leave gearbox on until springs and rod ends are off as you will may need to crank motor to position cam followers at lowest position.

Loosen the shuttle cam and shift it to remove the key.
                    Loosen the switch cams so they can be shifted.
                    Leave the spot and respot cam alone so that it can be measured before putting on a new shaft.

Now it’s just a matter of manipulating the cams and shaft until it comes out.

Hopefully someone will chime in if I forgot something.

Triac
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I take off the pit light and the spot solonoid assy.

It makes it much easier.

Comment

"I take off the pit light and the spot solonoid assy.

It makes it much easier.(JK)"

This is time consuming and in my opinion is not necessary.
                      If at first you don't succeed, try, try, again. Then quit. There's no use being a damn fool about it.&quot; -W.C.Fields

Comment

anytime you have to get that far into the table drive, just replace the shaft no matter what. were talking $55.00 shaft for maybe 10 to 20 years. also make sure to check spot/respot cam for any flatness.
                        Don't mind me, what you read is invisible.

Comment

oh and always use new keys as well!
                          Don't mind me, what you read is invisible.

Comment

JMHO; But, I have never replaced a table or sweep shaft that wasn't broken.

All you really need is a ftp wrench [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img]
                            If at first you don't succeed, try, try, again. Then quit. There's no use being a damn fool about it.&quot; -W.C.Fields

Comment

I still say it's easiest to cut the table shaft. Then mess with the bearing's and cam's on the bench.
                              Even a old dog can bury a bone

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                              1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                              First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                              our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                              Working...
                              X