Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solid state switchs

On my 82-70 I put solid state on the combo moters I got them from bowlmaster my chassis are solid state, w/expander When I put the switch on the sweep and changed the wiring under the chassis for sweep reverse it runs the way it should with the expander but when I run sweep rev. from mechanics control the mian breaker kicks ?? But the sweep will reverse with the expander if you get a gutter ball It makes no sense to me.

Re: Solid state switchs

What kind of solid state switches are they??Sounds like it may be wired wrong.Info on the switches and how you wired them would be helpful.sorry I dont have any thing else right off the top of my head

Comment

I would highly recomend eliminating the ss switch and go to a potential relay. The price isnt much different, and they are much more reliable.

Comment

It won't be the start switch that is the problem (because the sweep works). It will be the sweep reverse modification to the wiring that is wrong.

Recheck the wiring changes that you made, and double-check that the instructions match your previous setup (e.g. did you have previous modification for expander or another brand of start switch?).

I am not familiar with the bowlmaster wiring so I can't say specifically what would make this happen, but the problem is likely to be where the wires from the sweep reverse switch are terminated. If you could post a link to the instructions/diagram, or tell us how you wired it up, we could possibly help further.

Cheers,
        Andrew.

Comment

If this SSSS is a Quality brand or a Quality clone…you need to follow the directions for the MP chassis.

Triac

Comment

Originally posted by JimDorsin:
            I would highly recomend eliminating the ss switch and go to a potential relay. The price isnt much different, and they are much more reliable.
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Your most intelligent and insightful post ever.

[img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/143.gif[/img]

Comment

lol thank you Jerry

Comment

The potential relays work real well and last a long time. The only problem I’ve had with them is that when they do go, occasionally they will melt the receptacle and short the windings out.

Triac

Comment

which one are you using? Granger sells a vast amount of ratings on those. I have yet to have one do any damage (going on 3 years now)

Comment

Dunno….These ones (in question) were going longer than 10 years and did some serious damage when they went.

Triac

Comment

Why not use a SS one that doesn't need any modification to the machinewiring? You can then use every motor on any lane, sweep or table.
                      If a machine doesn't want to be fixed, it will let you know. Over and over again!

Comment

Originally posted by 82/30 king:
                        </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by JimDorsin:
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Your most intelligent and insightful post ever.

</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">So what exactly is the difference between a solid state switch and a potential relay?

Comment

Originally posted by JimDorsin:
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">100% agree with JimDorsin. I've only got a handful of Cent switches/mechs left. No problems on the potential relays (6X550 from Grainger, BTW). The cost of one relay is cheaper than the boards which the points burn up in no time. (Westinghouse) If a relay goes bad, it's easily changed out in under 1 minute.
                          "Where are we going, and why are we in a hand basket?"

--Kat

Comment

Originally posted by WAHSAM:
                            </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by 82/30 king:
                            </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by JimDorsin:

</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">So what exactly is the difference between a solid state switch and a potential relay?
                            </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The potential relay is still a switch that opens and closes. A solid state start switch has no movement. Its all done with solid state devices for switching. With westinghouse motors, SSSS have a tendancy to cost on combos. A potential relay doesnt coast because it has a set of contacts inside. Its easier to change out a potential relay then it is a set of contacts on the terminal board as everything is inside the little black box.

Wang

Comment

For me, 'Solid State' means: no relays, no contacts, no burning in, no worries! It's all electronic. Mine are working fine for 13 years now. There's a little plug on them. If I ever have to replace one it will take about 4 seconds.

If a machine doesn't want to be fixed, it will let you know. Over and over again!

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                              1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                              First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                              our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                              Working...
                              X