Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sweep cam switches

Hey everybody, Good day to ya.

I am having a sweep cam issue, Hoping you all may know what the deal is.

Here is what is going on, my lane 10 goes down for a gearbox issue, after i get it all going, the sweep will come to first guard, then travel back and stop @ the 7-10, table SOMETIMES comes down and they interlock... I knew this was the cams, so i adjusted and put new switches in. same result. SO, KNOWING that something is wrong with the cam switches, I take the switches out of lane 9, and put them in 10. lo and behold, 10 works great. so I put the new switches in lane 9 and guess what...... as sweep is coming to 2nd guard it stops BEFORE it gets to 2nd guard (at about the 1 pin) table does its thing but the sweep stays put.

Now, the new switches i put in do not look like the old ones, but i had even got those from another head mech at another center, and we both know there is no reason why they shouldnt work. ???????????

anyone have a clue whats goin on?

also, you all are great and somedays i think i couldnt do my job without this site. Thank you

Re: sweep cam switches

You're sweep cams are out of adjustment.
    Since these are brand new switches on 9, they need to be adjusted with the guage. You need part # 030 002 748. Crank the sweep to get the cams at their lowest point. Each one must be done individually. At the lowest point, the flat part of the cam will be perpendicular to the lane/pindeck. The guage has a skinny end and a fat end. You need to adjust the screw for the cams at the flat spot so that the skinny end doesn't activate the switch but the fat end does. Do this for all 3 switches. Once the levers are adjusted, you need to rotate your cams to obtain proper stopping positions. SB cam controls 1st guard which is 66* and SA cam controls 2nd guard which is 270 *. SA also controls 0*. Any more questions, just ask.

Wang

Comment

I agree with Wang. His procedure is dead on. If that does not resolve the problem, and you feel that there is a bad switch, any of them could (theoraticly) be the cause. If that is the case, I would swap out 1 at a time with a known good one. Just because they are not brand new dosent mean they are good.

Good luck.

Comment

when i adjusted the cams, i did all that.... adjusted w/ guage and all... its all perfect, even had the same problem with different switches (of the same type) seems to be in the switches themselves, as i siad, the switches are not the same as the ones that where in, but ARE SUPPOSED to be for the cams, so, no reason they shouldnt work. and i have tried diff. switches... its like, I KNOW if i took the switches out of lane 8 and put them in 9, im SURE 9 would work fine( as was the case with taking the switches out of 9 to put in 10)

Do different models of 82-70,s use diff. switches???

Comment

Herb

You're next step is to double check the wiring for the switches. They are as follows:

Wire color Destination

White SA(NC) to TS(31)
          Brown SB(NC) to TS(16)
          RED SB(NO) to TS(1A2)
          GREEN SC(COM)to TSA(1)
          BLACK SA(COM)to TS(15)
          PINK SC(NO) to TSG(1)
          YELLOW SC(NC) to TS(9)
          BLUE SA(NO) to TS(14)

NO = Normally Open NC = Normally Closed Com =Common

Also there is a jumper wire from SA common to SB common.

Verify the wiring to make sure you didnt cross a wire when you were reinstalling new switches.

Wang

Comment

there is something missing here. double check the wiring as Wang said. the fact that you used 3 untested switches is suspect. i would test them one at a time if all else fails.

Comment

check the terminals with a meter to determin if the n/o and n/c are in the same location. sometimes with different switches the position of the terminals are opposite.
              SGT
              U.S. Army/AVN
              Retired

Comment

From the symptoms you described, it sounds as if your sweep may be running backwards. Watch the rotation of the motor and cams to see if this is what is happening.

If so...It may be (out of adjustment/bad) centrifugal mechanism/switch, weak capacitors or a crushed wire (from the sweep reverse switch) either in the wireway or in mechanics control box.

Triac

Comment

Like wang said, double check the wiring connections for Common/NO/NC. The newer switches have the terminals in different places, so that mistake is easily made. Also, make sure the insulators are in place so the flag terminals don't make contact with the switch cluster housing (contact with housing = ground = problems)
                  "Where are we going, and why are we in a hand basket?"

--Kat

Comment

It sounds, as Triac says a probable motor issue.
                    If you have done some work on the motor wiring or related area then you only need to mix up two wires and you end up with the sweep reverse problem.
                    Hope you get it sorted.
                    Triforce.

Comment

I've seen a very similar thing happen on my lane 16. Turned out to be a gimpy micro switch on the TA2 cam. If all else fails, give that a try.
                      fatty

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                      widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                      Working...
                      X