Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distributor Grounding

RX

If you are like me, I'm getting tired of having the metal grounding roller on the distributor eat up the bottom of the tube. I do not like the thing, but you need it for scoring, and I like to put a plastic eccentric in their place. I do this so I can level off the front end of the distributor and have the pins go off flat and not at an angle. What I'm doing now, is to use the static brush from the 82-90 pin wheel. I forgot the part number right now. If someone wants it I'll post it later. They are not cheap, but I like them. When I order them I usually get 4 at a time.

AMF DOCTOR
    The doctor makes house calls.

If at first you don't succeed, try, try, again. Then quit. There's no use being a damn fool about it." -W.C.Fields

Re: Distributor Grounding

EXCELLENT Felix! I have been preaching about that for years! All you have to do is point a static meter at a distrubutor and you'll see that they can build up a LOT of static (many in excess of 25K volts) and that just ain't EVER good! Those nylon rollers can be a zapper....I like the looks of this mod!
    I've had enough of hope & chains.

Comment

**** it is a good thing i have 8230. Now I know the reason why nobody posts on 30,s is that they are running while your working on "newer machines", Just a joke no one to talk to on 8230,s Later Chief

Comment

Nice mod Felix.

Any issues with brush marks?
        Any rate probably less than the drag marks from the steel roller.
        Please.....follow the instructions!!

John
        804-240-4982

Comment

This Mod is compliments; The AMF Doctor! Rick, from Chicago Il.
          If at first you don't succeed, try, try, again. Then quit. There's no use being a damn fool about it." -W.C.Fields

Comment

Is this the same as a ground wire being installed on the bounce plate to the support bracket?

Comment

I've seen something similar... it used a piece of copper braid (like grounding braid or desoldering braid) in a loop that just touched the rail. It was attached to the front yoke (just about where the brush is in the above pic) by a screw and a small washer.

Those things can definitely build up a charge... in the winter when the air is dry in the building, I have seen sparks jump from the rods to the yoke that were 1/4" long or more.
              <span style="font-style: italic">Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis</span>

Comment

I've always wondered how the static from the dizzy or the carpet could get to the scorer (like the girl dinosaurs in Jurassic Park - nature finds a way?).

It's a nice looking mod, though I'd worry about the wire bending all the time (hit by pins, rags, etc). G's mention of the copper braid sounds more robust.

Thanks Doc, and Felix.

Cheers,
                Andrew.

Comment

Static Brush # 090 005 144
                  If at first you don't succeed, try, try, again. Then quit. There's no use being a damn fool about it.&quot; -W.C.Fields

Comment

Wonder who Rick got that idea from??

Been using those brushes for years...even posted it about 6 years ago. Still running good, no problems with marking the tubes.

Funny thing: if you put a continuity meter from the carriage tube to the frame, you'll find that with AMF's steel roller, there is much less contact than with the brush.

Another idea: McMaster-Carr, as well as other suppliers, I'm sure, carries static dissipative brushes that can be mounted across the distributor belt (no need for contact), within 1/4". You can drill a small hole in the main casting to mount this piece under the belt.

Comment

Grounding, shmounding - You could save almost a hundred dollars by just having the pinchasers continuously walk across the back and touch each distributor all night.
                      This post is not an unpaid promotion of my business.

Comment

At least it would keep them awake! [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rotflol.gif[/img]
                        I've had enough of hope & chains.

Comment

When we got our Accu Score system in '89, they supplied us with a metal roller wheel for the single flat wheel on the dist.
                          AMF told us to double check our bounce plate straps.
                          &quot;Gun control is the policy of tyrants&quot;
                          Rep. Rob Bishop (R-UT)

Comment

I get zapped every time i do carpets - on the ones we don't have carpet grounding straps on (well derr di$$head). I have a system that stops my ears being zapped - mainly ends up through my leg or shoulder.

Never got a shock from cleaning the dizzy belts, though.

Comment

I cant speak for all the Californians, but I have never needed the grounding straps on pit boards or the metal roller on dists. Never been Zapped or seen sparks from the distrubutor. Scoring has never had ill effects from non-grounding.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Approach Wear - DBA IQ/Anvilane

Our approach panels have a lot of wear at the joint between the first approach panel and the approach/heads panel. Nearly every one has the printed image worn through to various...

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                              1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                              First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                              our technician is working full time on another...
                              Working...
                              X