Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sure Pik

I am running a lot of oil and have a Sure Pik with a Stahl's grey belt. Besides cracking the balls in half with a hammer what can you do to get the old balls to come up the ball return? The track cushions appear to be in good shape and the leather belt is in alright shape. Added tension to the pressure plate and it made it worse. Is it worth adding more tension to the leather belt? The problem stays even when you clean the belt and balls after some frames. Or should we just single out the offenders and have them not bowl on this ball return?
    Well we're safe for now. Thank God we're in a Bowling Center.

Re: Sure Pik

1. Adjust the pressure plate to allow the balls in with a 1/8 gap on the underside.

2. For heavy balls add tension by placing the top spring hanger back.

3. If the light balls fight to get in, add tension on the lower springs to force the pressure plate up higher.

Comment

I have found that if you have wood down ramps, using EBN's Brunswick kicker strip cork glued to each side of the down ramp will help the ball roll down rather than slide, thus picking up a little more speed MAY help. I have done it and it does help on some lanes. Also, hooking a spring around the leather strap in front of the pressure plate will raise the plate slightly, allowing the ball to reverse farther up the strap. I use the same spring that is used on the idler pulley for the carpet drive belt. You will have to use bailing wire on each side of the frame to hook the spring to get the right amount of tension by experimenting. The spring will rub the ball on the way up but does not appear to damage the ball. I have had limited success with these options but it may be worth a try, especially Ed's cork. Good luck. Bill
      Yeah but, We've always done it that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Brunsamf:
        I have found that if you have wood down ramps, using EBN's Brunswick kicker strip cork glued to each side of the down ramp will help the ball roll down rather than slide, thus picking up a little more speed MAY help. I have done it and it does help on some lanes. Also, hooking a spring around the leather strap in front of the pressure plate will raise the plate slightly, allowing the ball to reverse farther up the strap. I use the same spring that is used on the idler pulley for the carpet drive belt. You will have to use bailing wire on each side of the frame to hook the spring to get the right amount of tension by experimenting. The spring will rub the ball on the way up but does not appear to damage the ball. I have had limited success with these options but it may be worth a try, especially Ed's cork. Good luck. Bill
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">With all due respect, the last thing I want is a metal spring coming in contact with someones $200 bowling ball.

Comment

You can mess with those pressure plates till the cows come home, and it won't help anything. First, you need to determine which is causing the problem.......the belt, or the strap. If the ball is spinning in the SurPik, it's the strap. If it just sits in the sure pic NOT spinning, it's the belt. In my experience, it's usually the leather strap causing the problem. You need to get a common wire brush with wooden handle, and attach the brush to an old broomstick or something about 3 feet long. Use a few hose clamps to attach the brush handle to the stick. Then, go thru and wire brush the straps up and down. Just brush where the scum mark is from the balls contacting. With the long handle brush, you can go thru all your surpik's quickly. Brush the straps every 3 or 4 days. It's the oil mixed with dirt, that packs the pores of the leather, making them lose their traction.

Comment

Swinger.
            If at first you don't succeed, try, try, again. Then quit. There's no use being a damn fool about it.&quot; -W.C.Fields

Comment

Fold up a rag and jam it in between the the leather strap and the pressure plate. Primitive but effectivr. If that does not work, check the leather strap. Is it slick? If it is, take a wire brush to it. You may have to flip the leather strap over. Try the rag trick first.

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will try to descum the leather belt.
                Well we're safe for now. Thank God we're in a Bowling Center.

Comment

i to have been having this same issue same surpiks everytime!!!! gutted and replaced all moving parts, only to have the same prob!!!! noticed 6 holes to increase tention on the pressure plte and flat belt. should i increase spring tention equally or from just the top, just bottom king??? this been a brain bender?? tried various types of different flat and lift belts. ebn sent me a rough top flat belt i thought sure as hell would work. no cracks in the pressure plates. i think and this is just a guess??? its in the tension??? i've wire brushed them cleaned them everything i can think of up to this point. i really need some help on this one...

Comment

Start a new thread with a more detailed subject for better exposure.

I know nothing if sure piks other than that they are awful.

Comment

Originally posted by deni View Post
                      i to have been having this same issue same surpiks everytime!!!! gutted and replaced all moving parts, only to have the same prob!!!! noticed 6 holes to increase tention on the pressure plte and flat belt. should i increase spring tention equally or from just the top, just bottom king??? this been a brain bender?? tried various types of different flat and lift belts. ebn sent me a rough top flat belt i thought sure as hell would work. no cracks in the pressure plates. i think and this is just a guess??? its in the tension??? i've wire brushed them cleaned them everything i can think of up to this point. i really need some help on this one...
                      1. I love Sure Piks
                      2. If the ball gets to the top and starts to spin you put more tension on the leather strap
                      3. If the ball gets in and wants to slip back down put more pressure on the plate
                      4. I never use 3 springs - only 2
                      5. Make sure you can get the ball under the strap and your fingers up to the 1st joint too or the strap is too low

Since I switched to Logic then Defy - we have only had 3 undergrounds in almost 2.5 years. With Prodigy I was getting 5 or 6 a week.

Comment

Make sure the leather is not worn smooth, (stahl's sells them). Center the v on the metal flapper on the belt with all springs and leather off, put springs shafts at the least tension and 2 springs. I pull the fuse and throw a ball, then when the ball hits the flapper look to make sure the ball is centered. Run the lift by hand (turn the large pulley) make sure the ball stays centered. If it hits off center you will have to move the track entering. If it doesn't go up straight you may have to move the top leather bracket with a pipe.

Comment

Originally posted by House View Post

I know nothing if sure piks other than that they are awful.
                          And Dangerous!

link to recall notice:

http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/1998/...-Ball-Returns/

Interesting note, in the recall notice, it is said that there were 238 bowling establishments with the returns as of July 1998. There had to be WAY MORE than 238 centers with those returns. That is important because they indicate 14 injuries. 14 out of 238 is alarming. 14 out of 2000, not as much.

Although, I must say, we had those returns on 10 lanes for nearly 20 years and we did have one SERIOUS injury. Somehow we lucked out and didn't get sued. Not sure how.

Comment

Originally posted by smalltownguy View Post
                            And Dangerous!

link to recall notice:

http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/1998/...-Ball-Returns/

Interesting note, in the recall notice, it is said that there were 238 bowling establishments with the returns as of July 1998. There had to be WAY MORE than 238 centers with those returns. That is important because they indicate 14 injuries. 14 out of 238 is alarming. 14 out of 2000, not as much.

Although, I must say, we had those returns on 10 lanes for nearly 20 years and we did have one SERIOUS injury. Somehow we lucked out and didn't get sued. Not sure how.
                            There is not a ball return made that is truly safe. Sick your hand in as the ball is coming up and you will find out.

In fact old power lifts are more dangerous because they are lower and kids could get their hands inside easier.

Comment

I like my sur-piks. When I started they had been totally neglected. Everything has to be lined up/centered perfectly. Biggest problem now is ball being thrown after pinsetter is turned off but not quite timed out. *&$%#*# counter staff!
                              Go Pirates

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                              Working...
                              X