Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pic for Wang: SSSS in BE box

Wang:

Here's the pic of those orange can SSSS in my backend control boxes.
    "Where are we going, and why are we in a hand basket?"

--Kat

Re: Pic for Wang: SSSS in BE box

Couple more pics...

--Kat

Comment

What does this do?
      The problem is usually harder to find than to fix.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat P:
        What does this do?
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Looks to me like the starter for the backend motor.
        <span style="font-style: italic">Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis</span>

Comment

Originally posted by Pat P:
          What does this do?
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">This is the Lewus Orange Solid State Start Switch (SSSS) that was mentioned in the other thread regarding centrifugals and such. I told Wang I would post a pic so he could see my setup here.

--Kat

Comment

nice kat! for some reason tho..., i've never had any luck with those lewis ssss's? i've never tried them for the b.e., just combos. some love em', some hate em'. i have all ssss's from stahls now for combos. is there a way to wire them for the b.e. too? just curious [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif[/img]
            Don't mind me, what you read is invisible.

Comment

Nice work.

Comment

Originally posted by bent wrench:
                i have all ssss's from stahls now for combos. is there a way to wire them for the b.e. too? just curious [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif[/img]
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Sure. You need higher-rated SSSS, but the principle is exactly the same. Backend motors are basically the same as combos; the difference is how it's used: runs continously, and it has no electric brake. The switch should come with instructions for wiring into a BE motor. It's as easy (and very similar) to the combo wiring.

Cheers,
                Andrew.

Comment

I think it is a shame that your going out of your way to show Wang your backend and he can't even take a look and comment.
                  I think it looks great.

Drill
                  Drill

David Bolt
                  Champaign, IL
                  USBC Silver Coach
                  IBPSIA BOD
                  IBPSIA Advanced
                  Technical Certified
                  Pro Shops

Comment

Interesting Kat. I assume that you had to run a 3 conductor cable to the BE motor for this type of installation.

With regards to the Lewus SSSS….I like them for my BE’s and Combos due to the fact they are adjustable, require no wiring changes up front and outlast Quality’s SSSS.

From my understanding, these SSSS don’t work very well on GE’s and Westinghouse Combos to prevent drifting. They work fine on Nationals because of the constant friction created by the brake disk and carbon brushes. The instructions clearly state that this switch does not eliminate the need for carbon brushes.

Triac

Comment

Triac:

Yes, I did run a 3-conductor SJO to the BE motor. I haven't tried the Lewus SSSS on my Westinghouse combos because of some horror stories I've heard both from here at BT and locally. They work very well on the BEs and can be adjusted like you said.

--Kat

Comment

Hey well look, Drill, I thought it was funny even if none of these other guys did.

BTW, that really is a nice backend you've got there, Kat!

Comment

Looks good Kat. I will be sending your switches and pulleys out Monday. Hopefully they will work for you.

Wang

Comment

Originally posted by triac:
                            With regards to the Lewus SSSS….I like them for my BE’s and Combos due to the fact they are adjustable, require no wiring changes up front and outlast Quality’s SSSS.

From my understanding, these SSSS don’t work very well on GE’s and Westinghouse Combos to prevent drifting. They work fine on Nationals because of the constant friction created by the brake disk and carbon brushes. The instructions clearly state that this switch does not eliminate the need for carbon brushes.
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The mechanical loading of the GE combo main shaft should be enough to prevent drifting (i.e. movement of the motor after the electric brake has stopped it).

If motors are not stopping fully, perhaps the brake circuit is faulty or the start switch is turning off too early (and putting the start winding back into the circuit before the motor stops).

You mentioned these Lewus SSs are adjustable - do you know if they are timer-based or something else?

Cheers,
                            Andrew.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew:
                              You mentioned these Lewus SSs are adjustable - do you know if they are timer-based or something else?

Cheers,
                              Andrew.
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">They are adjustable based on the HP of the motor. They come factory set for 1/3 HP motors.

--Kat

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                              1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                              First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                              our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                              Working...
                              X