Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor Mans Quick Disconnect.

In another thread, there was discussion on whether the cushion is removed or not when doing a pit job. I do, as it makes my life easier, especially with a poor mans quick disconnect. Another advantage this quick disconnect offers, is reducing the possibility of cross threading the welded nuts (on the kickbacks) when lifting the cushion and trying to align the holes of the support box to the machine.

I know there may be a few skeptics on this flimsy looking design. However, field test results in very high lineage houses prove it is just as durable as factory over many years.

I have them installed across my house on the common side (opposite ball door side)... I know this goes against what we were taught, but …..you only have to loosen the three bolts (and not remove them) to clear the kickback panels (when sliding out the rubber block). Also, the shock side is more stressed as it takes most of the load from the impact of a ball and additional weight of that end of the cushion. Just be sure to use lock washers (on the three bolts) and retighten after installing the long bolt.

This just a simple idea I had a long time ago and have been using many years….but you know what they say when you have an idea…. It’s already been done and implemented by someone else many times over.

This is for Air Force Mechanic and others who have not seen this and would like to give it a try.

Draw 90 degree tangent lines using a square and wax pencil or a scribe.

Cut along lines, de-burr and slightly round off. While sliding in rubber block, check to see if any material needs to be removed. Be cautious of removing too much material from the top as this has the least amount of 90 degree bite. I prefer the bottom line to be slightly lower than the hole to compensate for wear.

For final assembly, use a Stover nut and Do Not over tighten. I prefer it to be on the loose side. If over tightened, it will slightly bend the bracket making it difficult to realign the bolt after removal.

Of course this bracket is proprietary for which side it will be installed, but I prefer this design. However, my mechanics make them universal by making the bottom cut much further down so that it is the same distance from the edge as the top. Their design looks extremely flimsy, but test results show it to last almost as long as the proprietary design. Also, the universal bracket will accommodate urethane blocks with an additional lip molded in them.

Triac

Re: Poor Mans Quick Disconnect.

Tall Paul has done this for us also. The one thing he does different is instead of bolt and nut he straightens out a ring for a wiper cloth, cuts it to length, bends it into an L shape and lets gravity hold it in place. Works like a charm.

This is Tall Paul's mod, not mine.

Tim
    HBOwner

Comment

I vote Triac for tech of the year.

Can I make this work on a turdy?

Comment

Very nice triac. Why couldn't this be done on the ball exit side? I think I'm going to give this a try.

Thanks for sharing...it will benefit those who implement it.
        "Where are we going, and why are we in a hand basket?"

--Kat

Comment

Vantage already offers this for around $30..I have them on all my 70's. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]
          Without love there is no life.

Comment

That last post was me [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img] ....I forgot I was on my gf account.

Comment

Jerry,

Thanks for the kind words. Yes, it will work on a turdy.

Kat,

Although I have not tried it on the ball door side, I prefer the common side for a few reasons. One, the shock side is the heaviest part of the cushion. This will cause more stress on the support box and I feel that the factory design would be better for this. Ever notice how the rubber cushion block wears faster on the ball door side? Two, since the shock side is heavier, that means that it would need to be put into the pit area first….making it heavier putting in to the pit, then lifting and maneuvering after starting the common side. Three, the bolts are a little easier to get to when they need to be loosened for removal.

Don,

I was doing this mod long before the Vantage quickies. This mod cost nothing but 5 minutes labor. Hence the term poor man’s mod. Plus, I do not care for Vantage products.

Triac

Comment

Seen both. Actualy, I have noticed that over many years of use with the purchased model, the weldment seems to get ground down agenst the kickback. ( the shields never helped) and over time, you find your self shiming one side or the other with what ever you can find to put behind the cusion block. (had this problem in 3 seperate centers)

The one house I encountered the 'home made' design, they had been in for years with no signs of shims......

May just be happenstance, i never actualy tested it....

Comment

I like it too!!
                  Gene Simmons for president!!!

Comment

Nice one, Triac!
                    Removing the bolts isn't a big problem, but you're right, it sure would be nice to be able to just zip the cushion right out of there and only need to bring along pliers.

Comment

Thanks a million Triac or should I say Brain. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]
                      Lifes to short to stress on little things.

Comment

Originally posted by WAHSAM:
                        Nice one, Triac!
                        Removing the bolts isn't a big problem, but you're right, it sure would be nice to be able to just zip the cushion right out of there and only need to bring along pliers.
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Pliers?

Real machines have shoulder bolts.

[img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

If I were to do this I would do it on the ball door side. I have had broken bolts before on the common side and they are not fun. Does this cause a sagging issue?
                          The problem is usually harder to find than to fix.

Comment

Pat,

I wouldn’t think so, but never know…..Give it a try and let us know. The idea came to me at one house where mechanics were always taking the cushion out the common side. During installation, they would cross thread the nuts and break welds. You can tell them not to do that side, but they will do it anyways. After welding in a chit load of nuts (no fun), I implemented this idea and the quick disconnect was just a perk and not even considered at the time.

Throughout the years I installed a hand full of these at different houses on the common side for test purposes. Never got enough data, as the modified supports lasted longer than I did before parting with the company. Finally, I have been able to evaluate them (for over 9 years) to make the claim that they will perform as long as factory on the common side.

Triac

Comment

I have been doing this for a couple of years now. It works great! Came up with the idea while trying to solve the problem of not taking the bolts out after the original nuts that where welded on to the kick back from the factory broke off. Trying to tape a nut to a long extention with a wrench on the end was not to effective and time consuming.
                              There is always more to life, but would someone tell me what it is!

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                              1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                              First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                              our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                              Working...
                              X