Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cam switch timing - anyone ever actually do this?

Collapse

Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cam switch timing - anyone ever actually do this?

I was just wondering...OK I have no real life...but has anyone ever done a timing chart of cam switches on an 82-70? I mean how long the SA, etc is N.O. or N.C. contacts are open/closed and the time that the machine runs? Been bugging me...maybe an idea here... [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/143.gif[/img] If anyone has ever been bored enough to do this, please post. Maybe we can compare really well running machines to "so so" machines! [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/icon_nworthy.gif[/img]
    I've had enough of hope & chains.

Re: Cam switch timing - anyone ever actually do this?

Jon, It's been a long cold winter there in Ohio, hasn't it? Not to worry. The ice is melting and you will be able to go fishing very soon.
    "Gun control is the policy of tyrants"
    Rep. Rob Bishop (R-UT)

Comment

Jon:
      Check out a print on any of the chassis, MP or SS, if I remember correctly there is a drawing of the cam profiles on it.

AMF DOCTOR
      The doctor makes house calls.
      AMF DOCTOR
      The doctor makes house calls.
      http://s427.photobucket.com/home/AMFDOCTOR/index

Comment

[img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img] yea, it has been a long winter - makes you think of wird things!

AMF Doctor - there is a chart with that on it. I was just curious if anyone ever did actual timing. I have a stopwatch...hmmmmm, I ain't bored YET... [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Dang you TA2, beat me to it!!!
          [img]http://pic16.****************/VOL657/2474429/4897923/149934618.jpg[/img]

Comment

Yep! Thats the one on the chassis schematic. I just wondered if anyone ever actually figured out the timing in seconds. Great job, guys!

Comment

Yeah Chad,but yours looks a lot better.you goin to the beach this weekend??.
              People tell me I'm indecisive, but I just don't know...

Comment

Will try to! Have to go to Maryland for part of it but from the looks of your pics your place is a must-see.

Jon,
                Depends on 12.1 or 14.5...or 12.1 and 14.5. Or running a 50hz motor on 60hz. Or 60hz on 50hz.
                Hmmmmmm

Comment

In my anal retentive quest to find 355 degrees exactly for electrical table zero….I needed to know how many revolutions the motor turn’s verses 1 turn (360 degrees) of the output shaft. By inserting a table shaft and putting a level on the key (for a starting point) I counted 146.5 motor revolutions to 1 output shaft (360 degrees) revolution. Mind you, this is a 12.1:1 gearbox and your tests may very. Using a little math I can set the table at TDC and reverse crank the table 2.03 turns to achieve 355 degrees.

Now we can use this data plus the data on the motor plate assuming the motor turns 1750 RPM’s @ 60 HZ (although in reality this will usually be 1758-1772 RPM’s) to determine the time each cam switch is on or off.

1750 RPM’s = 29.16_ RPS (revs per sec)
                  146.5 revs / 29.16_ revs / 1sec = 5.02 sec / 360 deg

Therefore you multiply each degree you want to calculate the time by 0.01395.

Example:
                  66 degrees will take 0.9207 seconds and the motor will turn 26.86 revolutions.

Although this is not exact due to number of significant numbers calculated and slight error in measurements, it’s as close as your going to get with the measuring equipment and techniques that are available to us.

Triac

Comment

Originally posted by triac:
                    In my anal retentive quest to find 355 degrees exactly for electrical table zero….I needed to know how many revolutions the motor turn’s verses 1 turn (360 degrees) of the output shaft. By inserting a table shaft and putting a level on the key (for a starting point) I counted 146.5 motor revolutions to 1 output shaft (360 degrees) revolution. Mind you, this is a 12.1:1 gearbox and your tests may very. Using a little math I can set the table at TDC and reverse crank the table 2.03 turns to achieve 355 degrees.

Now we can use this data plus the data on the motor plate assuming the motor turns 1750 RPM’s @ 60 HZ (although in reality this will usually be 1758-1772 RPM’s) to determine the time each cam switch is on or off.

1750 RPM’s = 29.16_ RPS (revs per sec)
                    146.5 revs / 29.16_ revs / 1sec = 5.02 sec / 360 deg

Therefore you multiply each degree you want to calculate the time by 0.01395.

Example:
                    66 degrees will take 0.9207 seconds and the motor will turn 26.86 revolutions.

Although this is not exact due to number of significant numbers calculated and slight error in measurements, it’s as close as your going to get with the measuring equipment and techniques that are available to us.

Triac
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You are giving me a headache Brain, I mean Brian...You never cease to amaze me.
                    Lifes to short to stress on little things.

Comment

[img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif[/img] And I was gonna use a stopwatch... [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img] Very interesting!

Comment

Jon,

One of the reasons I did these calculations, was for a project I was thinking of making awhile back. The project was an override interface for the cam switches. This device would plug into the C2A (machine/pass thru to chassis) and override the switches with electronic timers. The timers would be calibrated according to these calculations using a hacked stopwatch integrated into the circuit. The function of the project is an emergency override due to a defective cam switch.

Kenny,

Sorry about giving you a headache. For you, I would suggest…..1 mississippi…..2 mississippi …..3 mississippi ….4 mississippi….ect. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]

Triac

Comment

Great job, Triac! I could see where that would be a handy thing to have! [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by triac:

Kenny,

Sorry about giving you a headache. For you, I would suggest…..1 mississippi…..2 mississippi …..3 mississippi ….4 mississippi….ect. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]

Triac
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That's the only method I would know how to use. Everytime after we talk I have to go and take some Advil. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif[/img] [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]
                            Lifes to short to stress on little things.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                            widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Approach Wear - DBA IQ/Anvilane

Our approach panels have a lot of wear at the joint between the first approach panel and the approach/heads panel. Nearly every one has the printed image worn through to various...

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                            1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                            First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                            our technician is working full time on another...
                            Working...
                            X