Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bowl Tronics Contactor boards.

We seem to be frying a truck load of Triacs ... not sure if anyone else is having this problem. It is random, and to date, we have chalked it up to bad power (power has been an ongoing issue) just wondering if we are alone. I never had a problem with them in Vermont, ran them for almost 2 years b4 I left.... just curious.

Paul

Re: Bowl Tronics Contactor boards.

Paul;
    I put the first set of boards into one of my chassis back in 2000, and it's still going strong. I have mp chassis, and over the years I've lost some of the Triacs. The first source of the problem comes from the M2 relay during the sweep reverse. If the contacts are bad in the relay, sometimes the motor will want to run in both directions for a fraction of a second. This puts a strain on the traic and could cause failure. Another area that causes a problem for me is when I run a solid state start switch, the contactor, and a 9860 mp board. Once again, during sweep reverse, when the motor changes its direction of rotation the voltage is not completely out of the motor when it switches. This also caused a strain on the triac which resulted in failure. The way I cured this problem was to put a mechanical starting stator on the sweep. Since I went this route, I haven't had any real problem with them. I am seriously thinking of going to potential relays on all the combos and retire all the ss start switches. This project will start after I convert all of my backend motors to potential relays. If your running ss chassis, never ran them in them. I'd be curious to learn what you find out about your problem. If you could keep me in mind. One other thing I just remembered, and I really haven't lookd into it was that there was a change in the brand of triac that BT was using. Any please keep me in mind.
    Thanks,

AMF DOCTOR
    The doctor makes house calls.
    AMF DOCTOR
    http://s427.photobucket.com/home/AMFDOCTOR/index

Comment

ive been using them since 2004. have about 16 lanes worth. have lost 2 sweep contactors. Both were related to Bad capacitors. whether bad capacitors caused the bad contactors, or the bad contactors caused the bad capacitors, i dont know

Comment

Jim
        We have removed the ones from the sweep and leaving the ones for the table....
        The contactors don't like sweep reverse on some machines.
        Peanut

Comment

I've had a rash of these ones too. Mostly it's the new style that I have recently bought. I noticed they changed the design of them about 4 or 5 months ago. Mostly they are sweeps but some tables as well. A few of these are capacitor related, but the others I haven't locked in a problem yet.
          I think i will go the route of masternut on this one, put the solid state contactor on the table and mech. on the sweep.
          There is always more to life, but would someone tell me what it is!

Comment

Masternuts idea will work, I would however contact rick at bowl tronics so he can look into this problem. I know queen had expanders and bowltronics contactors at the palace and he didnt have a problem. Hopefully Rick will be able to sort this all out.

Wang

Comment

The only SS contactor I ever lost was on a table......go figger.

I replaced every capacitor in the house while installing the contactors. They are only $6 each.

Comment

If the reverser relay is faulty, it could potentially short the mains supply through the start capacitors, but it would involve the NO and NC contacts connecting (which is extremely unlikely).

Also, a motor starting, running and stopping in the reverse direction is no different in electrical characteristics (e.g. current draw, etc) than one running forward.

I would suspect that it is the more frequent starting and braking that makes more of a difference than the actual reversal of the sweep. Or ineffective starting (which may not necessarily be non-starting, initially at least).

A sweep starts and stops 6 times in a typical non-strike frame. A table starts and stops twice. So you'll probably notice it more on sweeps.

Lack of, or ineffective, starting (caused by bad caps) will also draw more current through the contactor.

Braking also requires a lot of current, which passes through the contactor and the start caps (and ballast resistors and dissipated mostly by the run windings).

The type of start switch may affect the current draw during starting and braking, as will the condition of the capacitors.

Do you notice whether it is more often the start or brake 'contact' triacs on SS contactors that fail?

Andrew.

Comment

All of mine the start tric has failed causing the sweep to run all the time unless I pull the power from it. I'm going to give Rick a call today to find out what is going on, maby I should replace the caps like the King does.

Comment

Paul, can you give any extra info about the 'usual' failure, like which motor (S or T), type of start switch, existance of reverser relays (e.g. MP or OT-expanders or Offspot reversers, etc), which triacs on the contactor boards, etc?

Thanks,
                    Andrew.

Comment

Thanks all for the info. We will follow up on the cap idea.

It is always the sweep. It almost always goes into a continous cycle. (national motors).

Lane 1 is the only lane that has done it twice, rest is random. (we keep strict logs) so thats why I was leaning towards dirty power, but i was wondering if it were a trend.

We know its the triaks going, as thats what we are told when we have them repaired. 99% of the time there is no visual signs.

on a few occasions we have blown up resistors, and once had a table triak char and break in half. On those occasions, we searched the machine and found problems that we resolved.

Thanks all

Comment

Paul, in this house, what chassis do you have? Also what start switches? Do you have auto-sweep reverse?

Just trying to see if something correlates.

AMF doctor, have you noticed more contactor failures with SS start switches or MPs than with mech-starts or older SS chassis? What combinations do you run? A combo can't exactly attempt to run in both directions - and usually there is sufficient delay between stop and reverse (and if there isn't, most SS switches will restrict start winding current as will pot. relays and cent. mechs) - i.e. flipping the sweep reverse switch while the sweep motor is running will do nothing.

Cheers,
                        Andrew.

Comment

mostly potentials, but it has happened with the SS (I believe most SS are murrey)

we have ss chassis w/mk-70 and expander.

Comment

Andrew:
                            I have MP chassis, with most of them with the solid state contactor in them. Several of my combo motors, Westinghouse, have the Bowltronics ss start switch in them. Like Paul stated, 99% of my problems are on the sweep motor. I have been slowly moving the motors with the ss switches to the table and going to mechanical switches on the sweeps. For the most part its been working. Been seeing a number of problems though with the M2, sweep reverse relay. It's switching so fast that the motor must still have voltage in it when it wants to go in the opposite direction, hence a problem with the sweep motor. Another problem that I can see is in the 9860 MP board from Zot. When it does a guter ball sweep reverse it switches real fast and with the ss stuff it make for potential problems. I've been seriously thinking of going back to all mechanical switches and relays lately. I have a couple of more things that I want try before I do this though. One of them is to get in touch with Rick at BT and discuss things with him. Will keep you informed out what says about this situtation.

AMF DOCTOR
                            AMF DOCTOR
                            http://s427.photobucket.com/home/AMFDOCTOR/index

Comment

I talked to Rick at BT and he said to change those caps when you do an install. He also said somethimes at the manufacturing plant they put in a wrong resistor or cap value thats why they warenty them for 2 years, great warenty as long as you have 2 spare chassis. Other than that he didn't say anything else. I just got back a pair of contactors for BT will put them on and see how long these ones will last.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                              1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                              First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                              our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                              Working...
                              X