Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potential relay for BE

Would someone please explain how to wire a potential relay to a Westinghouse BE and how to reverse direction? I believe it is a 6X549.
    Yeah but, We've always done it that way.

Re: Potential relay for BE

Since there is no breaking required, and no directional reverse during aplication, I personaly wouldent bother with potentials for the BE. They will be bulky and cumbersome, and dont really have a good place out of the way to mount.

Stahls has a BE relay that works well. (It is a smaller gold colored relay, and does not operate like the SS start switches)

Stahls also will (for a price) build a box that actualy bolts to the side of your stator, which will house the Klixon, plut, cap, and relay. It mounts similar to the cap cover, so it is out of the way of pins that may fall off the pan. The down side is that it is a bit pricy, and you have to send the stator to Stahls as they have some machine work to do.

Best of luck.
    Paul

Comment

First off, I recently got a BE motor from Stahl's and they now come with a potential relay in them now rather that the gold ones. I have started wiring my machines up with this setup recently. Using Westinghouse motors, I've been taking the relay, capacitor, and klixon and putting them into the control box on the L.H. side. I've been changing the motors over whenever I have free time (HA HA HA). To start out, I don't have the numbers in front of me now, I use a physcially smaller capacitor in place of the original one. This is just to save space though. I built a test fixture to make sure that my wires going the stator are all the same. The fixture is made up of a relay, capacitor, klixon, and a socket for the motor plug. Once the thing is built keep track of where the wires go, so when you wire up the machines everything is uniform. First determine the wires for the run and start windings. On a new rewound one the two red ones are the start and the black one the run ones. Next get a 4 wire plug of some sort, I use a 6525 combo plug and socket. My friend BowlEquip uses a small Amp multi pin plug, C-23 style but smaller. Attach a 4 wire cable to the to the stator making sure to mark down where the wires are going. Next I mounted the socket to the rear of the control box and transfered the red and black wire through to the socket. As you wire up the relay and stuff you want to wire everything like the test fixture for uniformity, so that when you put another stator on, it will run in the right direction. This next set of wire locations are based on MY test fixture. Take one of the main winding, black wire, and hook it one of the capacitor terminals. Take the other black eire from the main winding and put it terminal #4 of the relay. Take the red wires, start winding, and put them on terminals #2 and #5 of the relay. If the motor runs opposite of what you want it to switch THESE. Next take a green wire and hook one end to terminal #1 of the relay and the other end to the empty terminal on the capacitor. Take the white wire from the 110v input terminal block and hook ot to the teminal on the capacitor with the black main winding wire. Next run a wire from the black 110v input terminal block and attach it to one side of the klixon. The other side of the klixon goes to terminal #4 on the relay. I seperate both the wires commonig off the klixon with wire nuts just in case something happens to the klixon I can change it really fast. Finally make a jumper wire to go from terminal #4 to terminal #5 on the relay. When you build your test fixture, and test out a motor on the bench it should work fine on the machine. The only thing different will be the direction of rotation and that once again is solved by switching the RED wires. That's about it. If you really want, I can post, with the help of Felix, my drawings of the wiring. If you have any questions let me know.
      One other little side note for anyone. If you have both type of Westinghouse BE motors, big and small rotors and stators and want to make a trade, I have a number of good small stator (newer AO Smith style) and gear boxes that I want to get rid of for the larger ones. I will throw in a set of seals and a new start switch in the trade too. If your close to me I'll even bring them to ya. Just a thought.

AMF DOCTOR
      The doctor makes house calls.
      AMF DOCTOR
      The doctor makes house calls.
      http://s427.photobucket.com/home/AMFDOCTOR/index

Comment

Thank-you for your replies and your detailed discription... I will pm you if I have trouble
        Yeah but, We've always done it that way.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
        widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Approach Wear - DBA IQ/Anvilane

Our approach panels have a lot of wear at the joint between the first approach panel and the approach/heads panel. Nearly every one has the printed image worn through to various...

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
        1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
        First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
        our technician is working full time on another...
        Working...
        X