Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cushion rebuild q.

Last night, I was granted the task of rebuilding a cushion and had about 6 rivets that had no "tail" that I could get the rivet tool on. What are some easy ways to get these rivets out?

I'll post what I did later.

Edited to add (after seeing response #1): I broke the utility knife. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif[/img] We have one of those multi-blade dial Husky deals, and I dropped it. Couldn't find another knife. Plus, it was kinda tough to slip the knife in between all the stuff. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif[/img]

Re: Cushion rebuild q.

I use a utility knife and cut them off in between the plank and rubber cushion.

Mike
    Mike

Comment

If you are talking about taking it apart, any type of cutting tool will work by sliping it inbetween the facing and the plank. (one of the snack bar knifes would work) I generaly use my pocket knife.

When you put it back togather, make sure you use a little lube on the knuckle. Helps pulling them through a lot.

Comment

I usually just grab the tail of the rivet with a pair of channellocks, pull the knot away from the plank, and cut it off with a utility knife. If the tail is ripped off, I just grab the head of the rivet at the facing, pull it up, and cut the head off with a utility knife or a pair of cutters.

If you're careful and like making a project harder, you can use a drill and a sharp drill bit to cut the inside of the rivet out enough so it pulls back through the front. Don't laugh... we had a guy do this.
        <span style="font-style: italic">Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis</span>

Comment

Saw-Zall between the plank &amp; cushion, takes .01235 secs

Comment

A rivet broke off inside the plank is harder to deal with. I just use a drill bit.

Comment

Quote: "you can use a drill and a sharp drill bit to cut the inside of the rivet out enough so it pulls back through the front. Don't laugh... we had a guy do this."

DING DING DING!

Since my utility knife was busted and sucked anyway, I took a small bit and drilled a pilot hole through the rivet. I then took a bit just slightly smaller than the rivet hole in the plank, and used the pilot hole. Got all six out in no time. I hate cushions. :p

Comment

Dude.... go down to the autopart store just past Juniors by the school. Buy a few break away Utility knifes... (cheap) Give Posternak the recipt, and have him reinburse you. Its that easy....lol

Comment

Paul, I'm a pinchaser not a tools buyer. :p If we need something I let Robbie take care of it.

Comment

let robbie take care of it, it will never get done....lol

Comment

The best tool I use to remove the rivets is the carpenter's pincer.
                      You can simply lift the (short tailed) rivets with this tool and cut them off.
                      A good practice for removing a tick by yourself.

Comment

i just use one of the 1000's of blunk hacksaw blades we have, they wont cut metal quite as well but they rip through plastic

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                        widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                        Working...
                        X