Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who makes this?

Can someone tell me who makes this? My head mechanic is converting our motors to the old centrifugal and start switches. But he's not sure how to convert the ones with these switches on them back.

[img=http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/2654/plug1mx.th.jpg]
    9th Amendment!

Re: Who makes this?

That is a GE potential relay. Most commonly used on the S & T motors. Do a forum search and you will find exhaustive data on this subject. This relay available from Grainger as part no. 6X550.

There are three different ways to wire this.

Table
    Sweep (MP)
    Sweep (Solid State/Wanna-Be MPs)

I need to reference my drawings in the shop in the morning for wiring instructions. If you can sit tight till morning, I'll post 'em.

"Where are we going, and why are we in a hand basket?"

--Kat

Comment

That would be great, thank you!
      9th Amendment!

Comment

Easy as pie.....

locate your Z wire from your motor plug to the terminal strip...... Remove it from the terminal. run it to either 1 or 2 on the potential. Now run a new wire from the other (1 or 2) back to the terminal you removed the Z wire from.

Now locate the Y wire on the terminal strip. (there will be another wire on this terminal too, running to the c-1 plug) add a wire to these 2 and run it to #5 on the potential.

Basicly you are putting the potential in the Z curcit like a switch, and using the Y to control it.

If you have national motors, you will need to take the 2 wires that go to the cent switch and connect them together (in the moror)

For GE and Westinghouse stator mod, I will have to review my notes, been almost 3 years since I have done one.

Comment

The relay in the picture came from Stahl's Seventy's. We used them for many years on the National's. We removed the old point set up 'cause the points they were making were NG. Are the points that you want to re-install quality items? Give Jamie a call. He should be able to help you out.
          "Gun control is the policy of tyrants"
          Rep. Rob Bishop (R-UT)

Comment

Originally posted by amfpinboy:
            The relay in the picture came from Stahl's Seventy's. We used them for many years on the National's. We removed the old point set up 'cause the points they were making were NG. Are the points that you want to re-install quality items? Give Jamie a call. He should be able to help you out.
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">.

Actualy amf, Kat is absolutly correct. I used to think they were an exclusive stahls part too. When I got here, we found them in the Granger book. They are made by GE, and if you look closly at a stahls relay, you can see the faint remainder of the orrignal GE logo on the side. 30 seconds with your wire grinder brush, and it is gone. (they also remove all but 1 break away mounting tabs)

They are also about $5 cheaper from granger. (that stands to reason, Stahls needs to make something)

the way I understand it, it is actualy for a washer/dryer, or dishwasher, or something like that. Been using them for almost 4 years now. they rock!!

Comment

Back to business.....

To modify the wiring on a Westinghouse and GE stator, you have to pull the motor plug off the housing. Remove the plug wire to terminal 1, and add it to terminal 6 (you have to leave the terminal board in, at least the primary, you can remove the secondary if you want to)

thats it. you will be ready to go.

in an emergency, if you need to run the machine with an unconverted motor, simply pull the 1 and 2 wires off the relay, and connect them together.

let us know how it goes.

Comment

Those relays are also used on 82-30s. Stearns brake motors (58-50 and 4400) use them to control the capacitors and the brake release solenoid.
                Gene Simmons for president!!!

Comment

I would bet $$ they can be utilised in any double winding ac motor.

Comment

toons
                    For 5850's I disagree somewhat
                    The brake is wired directly to 110v
                    Power to motor= power to brake release solenoid
                    The relay only controls drop out of start winding.
                    Mechanical brake.
                    VERY dependable
                    Soon to be 70/70
                    Go Pirates

Comment

Wow, does everybody love these things? We've been converting our combos (national) back to the old cent and switch because the solid state stuff have been dropping like flies. However, these machines were pretty abused when we got them and then they sat in storage for a year before we were able to fire them up. We're a (mostly new center. And our motors have, so far, three, maybe four, different types of S.S. switches on them. So we've been slowly converting to the old style (tried and true) whenever one of them drops. Trying to get some symblance of uniformity. We've done about eight now, and we haven't even opened yet!

But from what I've read on these boards we might give them a shot... We might give some NEW ones a shot.

Couple of questions...
                      Do these work in the back end motors? We've got both ntnl's and westinghouse BE motors.

Where do some of you have these mounted? I'd like to see pics or read descriptions of any cool ideas.

Thanks for the responses!
                      -Steve
                      9th Amendment!

Comment

I put mine right in the wire way. In vermont, I mounted them right under one of the terminal stipes. here we drill 4 holes in the front of the machine by the sweep motor and screw them in there.

They are nothing like the SS switches. much more reliable.

Comment

Instructions as promised...

Table:

Take green wire from Table motor cable and place on terminal #2 of the pot relay.
                          Wire from #1 on pot relay to TS-20
                          Wire from #5 on pot relay to TS-22

If you have the 5-conductor cables, substitute red wire in the cable for the green.

Sweep: (MP 9800)

Red wire from 5 conductor Sweep motor cable goes to #2 of pot relay.
                          Wire from #1 of pot relay to TSE-1
                          Wire from #5 of pot relay to TSE-2

Westinghouse/A.O. Smith stator modification:

Remove auxiliary board and related wires for switching points. Make sure red wire from plug socket is connected to terminal #6 on main motor board. (Usually red to red).

--Kat

Comment

Kat....

I have found across 3 different centers that (too many mechanics over the years doing home made mp installs) that the Z wire can end up anywhere..... not always on TSE-2....sucks too, one center I found them in 5 different places across the house.

Comment

Originally posted by JimDorsin:
                              Kat....

I have found across 3 different centers that (too many mechanics over the years doing home made mp installs) that the Z wire can end up anywhere..... not always on TSE-2....sucks too, one center I found them in 5 different places across the house.
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I hate when that happens. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif[/img]
                              whenever I have to move a wire for whatever reason, I be sure to take a P-Touch label maker and tag the wires for the next poor sap.

--Kat

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                              1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                              First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                              our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                              Working...
                              X