Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pins Falling over

I have 82-70's My pins keep falling down on a full spot it first started with the 9 then the 7 now the 10, I've re-adjusted the fingers replaced several respot cells,checked all the linkages, adjusted the cups and checked the gap. The fingers are not opening up completly after it picks up pins and puts them back on the deck. When it goes to spot a new set of pins the fingers jerk open just before the pins hit the deck. I have expanders and MK-70's in our chassis so wires are ruled out. Any sugestions would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Pins Falling over

It sounds like there is a bind in the respot system somewhere. If you have a manual, go through the respot adjustments step by step.

Pete

Comment

Fast and dirty (and this assumes that the major respot adjustments are essentially correct):

Lock out the machine with the sweep down and the table up. Lay down on the pindeck under the table.

Close the cells to their stopped position, then drop all the links except the master (If the 7 is attached to the stringer, leave it connected).

Holding each cell in the closed position by it's pivot, swing the fingers through their full range of motion to make sure nothing is catching (usually binds occur here if you have the old 'pinned' sliders... the nylon breaks off, and the pin hangs up inside the cell track). They should move freely and smoothly. Check each cell with the gage block to make sure they are all gapped at the correct tolerance. Adjust any cells that are gapped too narrow or too wide.

After checking the cells, move the stringers to their open and closed position several times slowly and feel for binds. Eyeball the 'boomerang pivots' up the #10 side of the table for bent pivot pins, and look at the underside of the stringers for wear spots/rub marks that would indicate the stringer is bent down and catching on a cell pivot. If the operation feels smooth and things check out, start at the #1 pin and attach the link, then move the stringers open and closed a few times slowly and smoothly, checking for any 'grabs' or binding.

If it checks out, add in the #2 cell, then open/close again a few times, again feeling for grabbing or binding. Proceed to add in each cell in this manner. As each cell is added, the motion should become a bit 'stiffer' because you're moving more parts, but it should not bind or grab. Also watch for any excessive 'drag' when adding in each cell.

Usually, you will hit one cell that noticeably loads down the linkage, or causes a bind/grab in the open/close motion. That is usually your problem cell. Leave it disconnected until you have gone through the rest of the cells (in case more than one is causing the problem.) Change out or rebuild the offending cell, place it back into the table, connect it, and move the stringers open/closed again. The binding should not return.

After all the cells have been reconnected, 'snap' the cells open/closed several times, again feeling for binds/grabs, and watch for fingers 'flying up' off the tracks and catching on the neighboring cell's pivot. After the last 'snap' open, hold the stringer in the open position with light hand pressure, and look at all the cells, the front finger should be close against the stop, and the back finger on any cell should not be excessively forward. If any do not open fully or are open to the point that there is no play at all (both fingers jammed against the stops), the individual links on the offending cells will need to be adjusted (if it's not opening far enough, shorten the link 1 turn at a time until it does. If it's 'jammed open' (fingers tight agaisnt the stops with no play), lengthen the link 1 turn at a time until it has some slight play when fully open).

In some rare cases, if ALL the cells seem to be opening too short or not closing enough, you may have to adjust the master link, but it's much less common than an individual cell acting up. Again, you move it only 1 turn at a time until you get the desired operation.

It takes longer to explain than to do, and it will usually find about 90% of binds rather quickly. Once you get used to the procedure, you can do this check in about 5-10 mins. If it doesn't ferret out the binds, you have to go through the full table/respot adjustments (as explained in the book), and possibly try it again after that.

The most common problems you will find with respot binds in the table is a bent stringer catching on something, a bent pivot in a boomerang or respot cell causing a bind, and occasionally a broken bushing in a pivot causing a bind.
      <span style="font-style: italic">Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis</span>

Comment

David, this is not chassis related, it is mechanical. Look for a bent pivot stud, a possible "flying finger", linkages on backwards, find the cell that the plastic "finger tip" is hitting on the linkage, make sure your RSC's are adjusted correctly {use the guage}, respot hangers are not worn, that includes the pin, hanger bracket did not break,{they make a kit for that}, respot rod didn"t somehow get bent for that will change an adjustment, assure that you don't have a broken RSC frame itself, and make sure that all of the STUD SCREWS ard good and tight. If the studs can move, even a little, that will screw everything up. Hope this helps!
        Don't mind me, what you read is invisible.

Comment

Thanks G Man for the info. After checking for binding and drag I found the number 2 cell catching on the number 3 cell linkage. The only way it happend is when the someone left a 2 pin. When I would open and close the fingers it would'nt catch so I never saw the it hang up until I finally did it cell by cell. Thanks all for the help and once again Bowl-Tech to the rescue!!

Comment

Glad to hear you found the problem. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]
            <span style="font-style: italic">Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis</span>

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
            widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
            1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
            First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
            our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
            Working...
            X