Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 70A Sweep Question

The 70A machine had counterbalance springs, like the table, attatched to the tops of the sweep links where they pivot on the machine under the catwalks. If you look at the top of the main sweep drive link where the large pivot pin is and there are two threaded holes in it then it probably at one time had them. A bracket was bolted to the sweep link with the spring attatching to it and to another bracket that was bolted to two holes on the rear side of the front wireway. (Standing behind the pinspotter, directly behind where the sweep pivots on the machine frame, if you look directly forward at the wireway there are two holes close together.)When the sweep was at zero, the spring was fully extended. From what I remember, the purpose of the springs was to smooth out the 'bounciness' the sweep tends to have when it hits 66 and when it is returning to zero. The center I took my training at had 70A's that still had these and the sweeps would glide to 66 and to zero in a very smooth consistent manner, no bouncing at all.

Not that the bouncing sweeps are really a problem, although I've always thought they looked kind of odd.

But I was wondering...

Why was this discontinued on later machines? It does not seem like a necessary part that is needed but it sure made a difference in the smoothness of the sweep.

Anybody else remember these?

Re: 70A Sweep Question

Great question TJ. I dont' know the answer, but I'll be curious to hear the answer.

Fever
    I really enjoy the Simpsons. My problem is that I am starting to look like Homer. Doh!!!

Comment

When my Dad's center had 70s, 4 of the 8 were field converted "A"s. They were installed at dad's place in 74. I assume they were converted before that as I remember all 8 of his 70s looking alike. But I do remember the "A"s having a much smoother sweep. I know they did not have the counterbalance springs on them.

Now that I think about it, the older machines did have a different shock tube. They looked more like a shock absorber than just a colapsable tube.

I also remember the newer 70s had a plastic sleeve on the colapsable tube that would get tacky when it got oily or greasy. I never tried cleaning them.

I wish I would have had BowlTech back when we had 70s, I would probably have a much better opinion of them, LOL.
      Gene Simmons for president!!!

Comment

Yeah, the machines I went to school on had a shock instead of a telescoping link, forgot about that. Also, instead of the threaded link on the machine where the telescoping link bolts to, which is fully adjustable, the shock style had this wierd half moon type bracket which has no in/out and barely any up/down adjustment. The in/out was adjusted by adjusting the shock length but the holes for it to bolt to the machine were not slotted.

Comment

Looking at my machines today I noticed I was incorrect about something. The spring bracket holes are on the sweep stabilizer link not the drive link.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
          widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
          Working...
          X