Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GSX Drops spares (mostly involving the 4 pin)

Collapse

Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GSX Drops spares (mostly involving the 4 pin)

I have recently been doing preventive maintenance on some personally owned GSX machines. One of them intermittently drops the spare from the table up position and then sweeps the pins away. The only scoring system in use is the switches at the pin position so I am able to push the repeat button and it will spot only the pins that were left. I have tried changing the fingers at the 4 pin but I am certain I am not doing this correctly. I have way more experience on 82-70s. Any suggestion that will help me is much appreciated.

Possibly the timing is off on that one spotting tong. With the tongs all the way open there is a flat black spot that needs to line up with the second tooth in on the rail. We have painted ours to make it easier to line up when installing.

20191213_190019.jpg20191213_190019.jpg

Comment

I second what rgarcia said. If your tongs use speed nuts (the flat star washer like things), they can back out a bit and even the plastic on the tong linkage can wear. Push the speed nuts down until there's minimal gap between the linkage but not tight as to where the tongs will have a lot of friction and bind. We've been modding the tongs on our machines. We shave off the bevel on the linkage and use machine screws, actual washers and nuts to make sure they never get loose.

As far as the detection switches on the pin holder goes, make sure the flat metal spring is tight on the finger as well as curved enough so that when the detection plate his the spring, the end of the spring does not flip off the switch button at the end. You may also have a faulty switch or connection if none of the above works. Just let us know.

Comment

Gentlemen I appreciate the quick response, one of my clients is hosting a Christmas party tonight and I would like to get them settled

Comment

Originally posted by NatChem View Post
          I second what rgarcia said. If your tongs use speed nuts (the flat star washer like things), they can back out a bit and even the plastic on the tong linkage can wear. Push the speed nuts down until there's minimal gap between the linkage but not tight as to where the tongs will have a lot of friction and bind. We've been modding the tongs on our machines. We shave off the bevel on the linkage and use machine screws, actual washers and nuts to make sure they never get loose.

As far as the detection switches on the pin holder goes, make sure the flat metal spring is tight on the finger as well as curved enough so that when the detection plate his the spring, the end of the spring does not flip off the switch button at the end. You may also have a faulty switch or connection if none of the above works. Just let us know.
          GSX doesn't use the metal tab spring setup on the switch. It's a plastic arm that pivots to activate the switch. Paddle hits a post that hits the arm that moves across the switch button. A pin dropping into the holder pushes down to pivot the arm and activate the switch again. Single switch setup now versus the dual switches.

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong but that wouldn't cause the pin dropping issue he is having right? any issues with that finger would cause a double load into the pin holder. I'm still leaning towards the tong being out of time. I've done the service on it a few times and if just one tong wasn't timed correctly, it would drop the pin in only certain pin formations, and I think you would only see it in the second shot. I haven't figured out the reasoning behind it only dropping a pin in certain formations, but I always bowl a game after doing a service to double check if I mis-timed one.

Comment

Originally posted by rgarcia View Post
              Correct me if I'm wrong but that wouldn't cause the pin dropping issue he is having right? any issues with that finger would cause a double load into the pin holder. I'm still leaning towards the tong being out of time. I've done the service on it a few times and if just one tong wasn't timed correctly, it would drop the pin in only certain pin formations, and I think you would only see it in the second shot. I haven't figured out the reasoning behind it only dropping a pin in certain formations, but I always bowl a game after doing a service to double check if I mis-timed one.
              No, you are not wrong.
              Certain spare combos hi-lite the timing issue because of the timing of when the pins contact the tongs. Likewise, you'll see pins being picked up and moved over or wobble and sway while the table lifts them for the sweep to run. This is a good sign the tongs need to be checked.

Comment

As others have said, if your dropping pins you should check the timing of the tongs. You can spin the square shaft that drives the rack by hand and if you see any starting early/late try to make an adjustment, if your tongs and racks aren't marked it may be a good time to pull the table and get them timed and marked. There is a good video on youtube search Tmiller453. Gl

Comment

Originally posted by NatChem View Post

Do you have a picture of what bevel you are referring to?

Comment

"The only scoring system in use is the switches at the pin position so I am able to push the repeat button and it will spot only the pins that were left."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I assume you have no scoring system installed, (Brunswick, QubicaAMF, etc). If that is true, (and if you have Brunswick power lifts), then the "repeat" button would be the RESET on the Player Control Station, (if you have such installed on the "Throat" of your hood assembles). See 1st and 2nd attachments. (On our GSX pinsetters we have the Conqueror scoring scoring system interfaced, and have no PCS boards on our Brunswick hood assemblies. But the RESET button on the ball rack serves to re-spot/recall any pin that slips through their respective spotting tong).

That said, I assume that you have no double loading issues with that particular pinsetter, and the only issue is the #4 pin that has not fallen after the first ball delivery is slipping off the spotting tong that is meant to pick it up, and is being cleared by the sweep wagon. Along with the alignment/timing checks, take notice of the "lever" (#12 on the 3rd attachment; also on rgarcia's picture attachment). Take a feel or visually shine against the light to see if it is bowed or bent, it should be flat, (not being flat would result in the tong not having a solid grip, but a soft one on the pin.

Hope my 2 cents helps.

pcs with hood.list.JPG pcs with hood.JPG tong.JPG

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                    widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                    Working...
                    X