Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summer Maintanance

Hi guys.

I have worked on 82-70's and GS-98s on and off for 20 years.

I have just recently got back into bowling and working on GS-96-98 mix.

The owners say that during the summer they rip out the entire machine and clean, lube check weld etc and put the machine back, they do a lane a day, this includes taking the elevator and table and pit out etc.

To me this is not possible in a day, or am I wrong ?

Also I in place is a rolling preventative maintenance and inspection/lubrication plan and the machines get inspected and cleaned every month and lubricated as per Brunswick manual.

What do you guys do for summer do you strip the machine down to bare bones and clean and rebuild ?

To me this seems a little bit OTT, and time could be better spent.

Ideas please guys ?

Thanks

For what it's worth, that does seem a little over the top. I myself am only familiar with GSX and unaware of the differences btw them and 96s and 98s. I would think that it would depend on how many lanes you have and on how high your annual lineage is followed by the number of leagues you may have starting in the fall. I am a firm believer in " If it ain't broke, don't fix it" , but keep them clean and well lubed and adjusted you should be fine. Doing a total teardown opens you up to needing to readjust many things that were not any where near out and the possibility of pinching wires or shearing off bolts that were just fine the way they were. I would not be in favor of this , but then again, I don't sign your paycheck. Good luck
    Steff
    It's like keeping 16 old Harleys running. I love it!

Comment

Seems like a little overkill to me. And I'm with Steff as far as "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." I would be worried about getting the machine 'off-kilter' somehow. If it's running well, why unbolt everything and possible have the machine sit differently on the kickbacks? Seems like a way to have something line up differently and possibly have weird issues until the next time you strip the machine down. The machine's design is simple enough that most major issues can be prevented, or at least serviced in a timely fashion, by performing routine PM's and being observant while performing them. It's surprising how often you can spot a loose bolt or a misaligned deflector by during routine cleaning and lubing.
      GSX Noob

Comment

Thanks guys, my thoughts exactly.

Comment

If by "rip out entire machine" he means removing all distributor pin shields and pin stations I call shenanigans. Especially in one day. Hell, my GS-10s take a good four hours to pull, rebuild, weld-repair, and reinstall just the t-band (yes, I'm aware just how much easier a GSX pit is to pull...just sayin'...).

For the record my Summer maintenance is no different from my Fall maintenance. It's year-round, Baby.
          So speaketh the Gospel of The Beer Can

Comment

Originally posted by Centrino78 View Post
            Hi guys.

I have worked on 82-70's and GS-98s on and off for 20 years.

I have just recently got back into bowling and working on GS-96-98 mix.

The owners say that during the summer they rip out the entire machine and clean, lube check weld etc and put the machine back, they do a lane a day, this includes taking the elevator and table and pit out etc.

To me this is not possible in a day, or am I wrong ?

Also I in place is a rolling preventative maintenance and inspection/lubrication plan and the machines get inspected and cleaned every month and lubricated as per Brunswick manual.

What do you guys do for summer do you strip the machine down to bare bones and clean and rebuild ?

To me this seems a little bit OTT, and time could be better spent.

Ideas please guys ?

Thanks
            It says you worked on 70's, On them you should pull the pits every 2-4 yrs. depending on linage. Ball lifts and front ball returns in between. (something every yr.) I don't know G S mach. but you should be able to compare. You need to check the major break down areas and do this during slow times not when it's too busy.

Comment

I take nothing off that ain't broke and thougherly clean twice a year and it's suited me for 6 years now.
              If I can't fix it I'll break it so no one else can fix it either.

Comment

Well Steff, I am facing the issue now because you left me as my right hand man and my knees are killing me. I am really torn about removing table since it has
                been 4 years and in the past have been able to clean and lub with table in place. Doing front bushings I have down to a 2 hour job and I can make it go every 2 years
                with how much grease i get in machine (only 70-90K cycles a year on the back counter).
                Still frustrating and scared with everything that has to be done this summer. PM is so much fun but so crucial to these machines.
                Steff, thanks for keeping me in touch with how to do this stuff, always learning.
                Gene
                \

Comment

I agree with what's been said above. There's no need to tear apart a machine that is running smoothly because there's a good chance it's going to need tweaks to get it back to where it was.

I worked in Vegas on 8 year old GS-90s and we never did anything like that, but we did have 60 lanes. Our focus was on cleaning and PMs. If you keep up on everything and fix issues as they arise, annual rebuilds are not needed. Sounds like busy work to me.

Comment

Originally posted by davegargamel View Post
                    .........I call shenanigans.
                    LOL!!!!

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse