Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lane 5 fouling up

One machine is scoring fouls every few frames, requiring score corrections and respots. Our foul units are not compatible with the Nexgens so they are not connected to the pinsetter. We hear the "beep" but scoring must be done manually in the event of a foul. I'm thinking that the issue is probably within the Nexgen itself. Would the CPU board be the most likely culprit?
    GSX Noob

CPU board or I/O board would be my guess.

Do you have AMF foul lights? If so I got a box from bowl-tronics that will convert the AMF signal to the GSX signal. I'm using them on my upgraded radary 82-120 foul units. I tried finding it on their website, but couldn't find it. He had to make them to order for us.
    Mike

Comment

Well if there is no way the pinsetter can get a foul signal from the foul unit then its probably in the electronics on the pinsetter. Is the machine going through an actual foul cycle or is there a malfunction making it appear that way?

Comment

Originally posted by PKMech View Post
        One machine is scoring fouls every few frames, requiring score corrections and respots. Our foul units are not compatible with the Nexgens so they are not connected to the pinsetter. We hear the "beep" but scoring must be done manually in the event of a foul. I'm thinking that the issue is probably within the Nexgen itself. Would the CPU board be the most likely culprit?
        Just another guess. Are the wires ran for foul lights but not hooked up to the foul lights? If so the wires may have gotten onto the ball track and causing the foul when a ball rolls over the wires.
        Mike

Comment

All you need to 'convert' the original AMF foul output is a 12 volt AC relay. Brunswick scoring and GS machines only need a switch closure for a foul. So, when the AMF unit fouls, it will close the relay contacts.

As far as the original issue, MCSS is probably on track here - so to speak.
          This post is not an unpaid promotion of my business.

Comment

Thanks for the quick replies everyone. The machine still runs it's foul cycle when this occurs. As far as I know, no wiring was run from the foul units to the pinsetter, but that doesn't mean it didn't occur. Our foul units are Qubica, prior to the AMF merger (foul is signaled by an obnoxious beeping sound). I was told connecting them could short out the electronics by our installer. I do remember him telling me something about Brunswick foul units having a toggle switch. Would be nice to find a way to make them compatible. Maybe I can talk the boss into working that this summer.

My gut says to try pulling the I/O board on the lane 5 side of the box first, since the problem is isolated to that lane. Unfortunately, this is one of those issues where you don't really know if it's fixed until you get some lineage on the lane.
            GSX Noob

Comment

What he was telling you that the machine needs a switch closure to go through a foul cycle, and the Qubica unit put out to the PS-I is 12 volts, like AMFs. This indeed could ruin your GSX IO board, unless it is converted to a switch closure. You can tell the nextgen box to ignore a foul signal and see if that works.

Comment

Ok called my manager and he OK'd me to come in and look at it. MCSS nailed it. The wire underneath the unit itself had dropped into the ball track and the bowling balls running over it appear to have knocked the Molex connector off. Looks like that was causing the wires to short out. Cleared the wire and bowled two games with no foul signal. Thanks for the help guys.
                GSX Noob

Comment

Originally posted by Ted View Post
                  What he was telling you that the machine needs a switch closure to go through a foul cycle, and the Qubica unit put out to the PS-I is 12 volts, like AMFs. This indeed could ruin your GSX IO board, unless it is converted to a switch closure. You can tell the nextgen box to ignore a foul signal and see if that works.

What kind of parts should I look for and what could potentially be the cost figures associated it. We run a tight budget down here (you have no idea...) and I would rather have a solution that I know is going to work rather than something the might work but could still damage components. If I have something viable to show my manager I'm sure he would be on board with it.
                  GSX Noob

Comment

Those 2 wires would be hooked onto the normal open contacts of a relay. If you foul unit only outputs 12 volts for the AMF machine, you need to get a small 12 vac relay and hook its coil to the output of the foul unit for each lane.
                    You should check out the existing foul unit very closely though, almost all manufactured in about the past 15 years have both switch closure and 12 volt outputs, selectable by a switch, jumper or different terminals. If you're not there, but know the model, I can tell you if it has dual output, where you would need nothing but to hook those 2 wires into it - selecting the Brunswick setting.
                    Further, if the scorer shows a foul, the relay could be placed on the curtain wall near the PS-I and wired in close proximity to the foul voltage source and output to the machine.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse