Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Visualize the pin going through the ball door.

Collapse

Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visualize the pin going through the ball door.

I've tried replacing the solenoid 2 times.

It appears to lock immediately when the ball crosses the photocell.

I can't even figure out why I keep checking the clearance between the door button lock and the solenoid arm because every time it comes out correct.

I'm using a wireless camera during open hours on the most interesting spots that I can think of, it fits almost anywhere and (mostly)works in the dark. Feel free to help me discover a good spot to place the cam.

Here are three videos of pins getting through ball door #1. It gets most of these malfunctions, undoubtedly more than the others:

1.png
    2.png
    3.png

ALSO, a bonus of another strange malfunction.

th_3812.png

I took small zip ties and installed them in the hole the metal rod goes into for the lever. Makes the lock travel down more and won't stop light balls from opening the door from the lock being adjusted to low.

You may also have to rebuild the locking mech. itself.
    Mike

Comment

To me it looks like your cushions are a bit out off.... Adjust them so that the ball can run straight into the balldoor.

On the bonusvideo, how is the tension on your belts? And do you clean the belts sometimes, as you clean them don't forget to put a drop of oil under them.

Comment

This looks creepy.

Comment

Looking at the top video:

This looks to be the odd numbered lane.

At the 31 second mark you can see a pin come from off the L.H. kickback, bounce off the ball cushion and go through the ball door well within the 5 seconds the ball door should have been locked and even 5 seconds before the ball that was thrown makes it to the ball door

My guess is that the ball door didn't close properly after the previous ball went through. Like the ball door closing spring tension was great enough to make the ball door bounce back after it closed and the ball door lever went under the locking bolt. So it was partially open before the current ball was ever thrown. Cause that pin went straight through the door with no hesitation.
          Use ADANA (Attention to Detail And Never Assume) or take a SWAG (Scientific Wild Ass Guess)at it

Comment

The second and third video also looking at the odd lane

The second shows a pin going through the door with no hesitation at the 28 second mark. The third video, the pin goes through with no hesitation at the 18 second mark.

Either the ball door wasn't closed to begin with or the locking mechanism was so slow (or periodically doesn't work) and the the pin just happened to hit the ball door button perfectly to open the door.

I would take off the ladder and position the camera looking in at the ball door from the back of the accelerator box. That way you can see if the ball door lock functions reliably and whether the ball door is closing properly in between throws.

Since the plunger hole is offset on all the solenoids it's important that they are installed facing the correct way (try installing a shark solenoid the wrong way once) so the plunger is not being pulled in at an angle. That can cause it to bind and not lock relaibly The parts manual shows the offset should be facing the locking bolt.

I've also had door lock solenoids where the plastic collar of the coil breaks causing unreliable locking of the bolt. That's something to check.

doorlock2_thumb.png

And if it breaks completely off, it will be hard to see but it still can cause a bind in the plunger as it is being sucked in when the coil is eneregized and the locking bolt will not be lowered all the way.

black_solenoid_thumb.png
            Use ADANA (Attention to Detail And Never Assume) or take a SWAG (Scientific Wild Ass Guess)at it

Comment

Originally posted by MCSS View Post
              I took small zip ties and installed them in the hole the metal rod goes into for the lever. Makes the lock travel down more and won't stop light balls from opening the door from the lock being adjusted to low.

You may also have to rebuild the locking mech. itself.
              It was the slop. I made the adjustment with a few separate voices in mind, including yours and found that when pressing on the ball door button in a downward direction, the plastic of the locking mechanism could be seen giving until it would malfunction and the door swings open. A minor adjustment! Thanks for the input.

Originally posted by Pinchezr View Post
              To me it looks like your cushions are a bit out off.... Adjust them so that the ball can run straight into the balldoor.

On the bonusvideo, how is the tension on your belts? And do you clean the belts sometimes, as you clean them don't forget to put a drop of oil under them.
              The belts are still very tight, but not as much as they were 180k frames ago when they were new. They get cleaned every 2-3k frames, always with a drop of oil. It would happen just after a wash and oil, and just before one. Once I spread the shark wedges apart from eachother just by a little bit, the malfunction reduced, maybe entirely.

Originally posted by Tablejam View Post
              This looks creepy.
              At least there aren't people screaming while the camera waves and twists. Sorry for the low quality... turns out the camera is sensitive to the harsh conditions in the pinsetter room. At least it produces something to show.

I'd go back and give a warning to mute the volume for the videos if this forum allowed me to edit my old post. Meh...

Thank you J_Rakow for your valuable input!
              Last edited by fromthetopdown; 04-17-2012, 08:44 PM.

Comment

I just meant it was creepy because it looks like footage you would see on one of those ghost hunter shows.

Comment

Very useful diagnostic footage. Most of those little wireless camera transmit on a standard frequency used by lots of other equipment, so they can experience quite a bit of interference. You also get mini recording cameras that store their output directly to SD cards.

A search on ebay for keyfob camera will yield lots of VERY cheap units. They are limited in their recording time by the little battery included, but that should be considered a CHALLENGE to any self respecting tech. I should think that a decent capacity external lithium cell or even just three AA NiMh rechargeable batteries would last for ages. You'd need to add a lightsource if there wasn't much light in the vicinity too.
                  www.bigclive.com

Comment

O that last video where you have the pins getting stuck on the distributor I have a question. Are those belts moving when the pins get stuck there? We've had issues with a couple of our lanes where the gears weren't meshing and the gear on the back distributor shaft was worn was part of the problem. Another thing that was part of the problem was the bracket that holds the rear distributor shaft broke and I had to put a distributor repair kit in to hold the shaft where it's supposed to be. If thats not the problem then I'd say move the back of the shark assy. up and that helps mesh those gears together but don't forget to raise the shovel guide or pins will drop on the distributor head first. Hope that helps with the second problem.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                    widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                    Working...
                    X