Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deck Lift Shaft

Hey guys need a little help have got a deck lift shaft that blew out bearing on the 7 pin side. Have never replaced a deck lift shaft in the 22 years I have worked on A-2's. What is the easiest way to replace can you go through a quick list of waht to do?? Also how long can a deck lift shaft go before I really have to worry something major might come up?? I have wrapped a piece of chain aorund the deck lift shaft and the main shaft just above with enough slack to not tear up the main shaft and enough when deck drops when detecting pins at 90 & setting pins back on deck in scissors at 270 that the shaft looks like the deck lift levels out when it rides on chain the there is equal distance where bearing used to be. It rides on the collar that slides in the bearing and the bolt screws into. Will this be ok?? Get back to me with some advice. Thx.

Re: Deck Lift Shaft

Rodger,

Personally would be fixing this problem as soon as possible, your only going to cause more damage if you don't.

Not a difficult procrdure, run machine to OOR then remove scissor cable and moving deck cable.
    Get back to zero 1st ball, place a couple of 2x4's down on pindeck to support deck, I manually hold the sweep hook up out of the way so the rake doesn't sweep, jog machine to 270 setting new pins, lock the spring tube and remove completely, disconnect the detector rod and remove the lower half of restricted drop blocking finger link.

Remove the deck lowering pin...be careful here because the needles will more than likely fall out the bearings, if you haven't got spare bearings, make sure that as you remove the pin you slot another pin in behind it to prevent bearings from collapsing, swing the deck lowering link out of the way of lift pin.

Remove the 4 socket head cap screws from bearing caps which connect the deck lift shaft to deck.

At this stage I hope you have a spanner (wrench)that fits the bearing stud for deck lift shaft, remove both lift shaft screws from studs, lift shaft should now be able to be removed.....be careful you don't lose any shims between stud and bearing.

If you haven't got a spare lift shaft and the new bearings are loose in their housing, I locktite in, I have also drilled and tapped 2 small holes in lift shaft...use couple of small screws to lock in new bearings if required.

Hope that helps.

Shawn

Comment

I WOULD ONLY ADD IF YOU DO HAVE A SPAR BEARING YOU COULD TIE A ROPE OR A CHANE AROUND LEFT SHAFT ON 10 PIN SIDE TO SUPPORT SHAFT WAIL YOU CHANG BEARING
      THIS WILL MAKE IT EASER TO REPLACE BOLTS WHEN REINSTALLING SHAFT

Comment

Originally posted by Headpin View Post

Rodger,

Personally would be fixing this problem as soon as possible, your only going to cause more damage if you don't.

Not a difficult procrdure, run machine to OOR then remove scissor cable and moving deck cable.
        Get back to zero 1st ball, place a couple of 2x4's down on pindeck to support deck, I manually hold the sweep hook up out of the way so the rake doesn't sweep, jog machine to 270 setting new pins, lock the spring tube and remove completely, disconnect the detector rod and remove the lower half of restricted drop blocking finger link.

Remove the deck lowering pin...be careful here because the needles will more than likely fall out the bearings, if you haven't got spare bearings, make sure that as you remove the pin you slot another pin in behind it to prevent bearings from collapsing, swing the deck lowering link out of the way of lift pin.

Remove the 4 socket head cap screws from bearing caps which connect the deck lift shaft to deck.

At this stage I hope you have a spanner (wrench)that fits the bearing stud for deck lift shaft, remove both lift shaft screws from studs, lift shaft should now be able to be removed.....be careful you don't lose any shims between stud and bearing.

If you haven't got a spare lift shaft and the new bearings are loose in their housing, I locktite in, I have also drilled and tapped 2 small holes in lift shaft...use couple of small screws to lock in new bearings if required.

Hope that helps.

Shawn
        Hi
        When you remove the cables do you simply lift them off the guide rollers on the deck post?

Comment

Originally posted by Ulf View Post

Hi
          When you remove the cables do you simply lift them off the guide rollers on the deck post?
          Yes. Rag or gloves to protect your hands from being pricked by a frayed wire. Can use screw driver to help lever them off but really not necessary when done at the correct point in the cycle.

Comment

That was the easy part. When putting it together i can´t seem to find a good place in the cycle to put the scissorcable on. The problem is i can´t get the machine to detect an OOR pin. Probably got a small change in deckhight and now the detector rod needs an adjustment. Feels scary to run the machine with the SC hanging around.

Comment

OOR or standing pins is fine, as long as the scissors close.
              Factory & Converted A-2 (US, Ger, Jap)
              Comscore ECT, Matrix & DuoHD
              Walker B, Sanction Standard, Original K, Flex Walker & Ikon
              Kegel C.A.T.S

Comment

My list of rookiemistakes is getting longer and longer. Detector rod pins not on top of the bracket.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse