Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ball Damage at my wits end

We have been getting ball damage on a pair of lanes and we are at our wits end trying to find the problem. Every time we think we have found it we get another ball with damage on it. We have looked in the pit, the ball wheel, the rubber ball guides, the track under the caps and approaches and the ball return up front. We have covered all screws and anything we think could possibly be make the marks. The tape is not wearing, we are not finding any ball shavings which by now we should be. We have to be missing something. Any suggestions at all beside drinking alcohol and forgetting about it LOL would help!!! We are tired of repairing these balls. Sometime the scratch can be even longer. Up to 5 or 6 inches.

balldamage.jpg

I had one doing this same thing what would happen is as the ball would go up the ball wheel it would occasionally catch the edge of the pin wheel i had to adjust the upper guide out some to stop it i hope that helps good luck!!

Comment

Check for screw heads exposed due to wear on the back edge of the deck.
      Also might check for loose angle iron on the underside of the approach over ball return track.
      If it's broke it will work great.... until you stop watching it.

Comment

That mark is pretty straight, so Im thinking along the lines of loose flat gutter, or pin deck molding.

Comment

Ball was moving pretty good when that damage was done. Have you tried throwing a ball down the lane when the building is quiet and listening closely while standing out on the capping? Could be tagging something during the return in the subway.

Comment

Anytime a mark is long, it means that the ball was rotating in place, or a long piece of something is the cause. I have seen balls launch out of the rods and into the Cross Conveyor drive pulley, the center bolt that is and cause that type of damage. The only other place would be the C Tracks missing rubber, you said you checked that, or a bolt falling out of pit cushion but they seldom leave long mark.

Comment

I would agree with freek ball hitting the cross conveyor drive pulley bolt when I used to work on A2 used to balls similar damage from hitting cross conveyor
              im never wrong just askme

Comment

Check the ball Y-track. When the Y-switch height is incorrect, or the switch is worn where it should connect, or the stop blocks are missing or loose, the switch may be going wide allowing ball to impact frame. Those particles can fall under shaker board, but some remnants should be found. Do you have ball accelerator or booster?

Comment

Other than the chunk in the middle, that line looks like a belt burn to me; which would kind of line up with the cross conveyor pulley theory.

Comment

this ball was traveling very fast when it was damaged. My bet is flatgutter screws, pindeck edgeboard screws, dropsweep track, anywhere in the underground especially around any tracking transitions, and entering power lift. start with flat gutter areas, then pull off dropsweep cover and capping closest to dropsweep. then check powerlift, make sure ctracks are not worn and allowing ball to tag motor mount.
                    ME&My68

There's no such thing as idiot proof, it just makes a better idiot!

Comment

I agree with FreeK that the ball was was rotating in place. That mark was "carved" out of the ball. In my mind you can rule out the pin deck, flat gutters, tail plank, subway tracks since screw heads or obstructions in those areas typically leave chips or dings in a ball, not long lines. I've got 82-70s myself, and I've seen damage like this from ball door issues. I'm not familiar with A-2s, but I'd look for any place where the ball is under pressure or where it can spin in place. I do have power lift ball returns up front, and I would definitely inspect the C-rails, both wheels, and the transition to the ball holder.

Comment

Almost looks like one of the pit cushion guards, (left side) caused this except for the large hit in the middle of it. Get a bright light and look closely at everything. Remove pit board, capping, lift hood, etc. There has got to be a big pile of ball chips where the damage is occurring.
                        Everything has to be Somewhere !!

Comment

I had somewhat of a similar damage that would come and go randomly. Replaced a 20 foot section of underground rails. (we have 4 pair that were added on and have the metal tracks front to back) hat however was not the issue. What I ended up finding was the old metal support under the first 20 feet of lane or so had come loose. the steel support would shift to barely out over the track (just enough for a ball to hit) and the shift back until it did it again. Ended up pulling 3 of those out from that pair that were loose.

It too was making me nuts
                          Ignorance is Bliss!

Comment

Originally posted by KPADS View Post
                            I had somewhat of a similar damage that would come and go randomly. Replaced a 20 foot section of underground rails. (we have 4 pair that were added on and have the metal tracks front to back) hat however was not the issue. What I ended up finding was the old metal support under the first 20 feet of lane or so had come loose. the steel support would shift to barely out over the track (just enough for a ball to hit) and the shift back until it did it again. Ended up pulling 3 of those out from that pair that were loose.

It too was making me nuts
                            I had same thing happen,mine was between ball return and foul line , was a pita to reach!

Comment

Wow! There are a lot of ideas here we didn’t think of. We will get to work looking and let you know our findings. Thank so much!

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse