Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scissor & Moving Deck Cams

Hello all,

I'm wondering what the main difference is between a few versions of the scissor & moving deck cam. As far as I know there have been 4 styles over the years.

The 100310 and 12-100828-002 cams have identical curves, but the 12-100828-002 cam has the bolt thru style mount, and the 100310 is a press fit. I understand why this was changed, it was probably easier to machine to tolerance, and it makes swapping them easier.

I know the 12-102794 cam is meant for scotch yoke a2s, the "bumps" for the moving deck to shift was moved to match the slower speed of the yoke at 270.

What I really don't understand is the existence of the cam numbered 100135. I have a copy of the original parts manual from 1956, which lists this cam. What's really strange is that there are parts numbered 100311 thru 100314 in the manual, but it skips the 100310 cam.

What's the difference between the 100135 and 100310 cams, and if the 100310 number was already reserved for the new S/MD cam, why did the original manual list the 100135 cam? The only explanation I can think of is that some feature of the 100135 cam was causing issues and was already being re-designed when the first run of machines was made.

If anyone's got a 100135 cam I would be super interested to see a traced profile with the 100310 cam on top.

100135.jpg
    (I'm only uploading a tiny cropped snippet of the diagram to prevent copyright issues)
    Ethan Campbell
    Technician 2
    Main Event Entertainment - Plano

We have a mixture on our converts. I haven't spent any significant time looking into the part numbers but I do know the older (likely original) cams have a harder final shift forward. I believe I posted some videos of it here many years ago. Other than a greater potential for damage during a deck jam you're also likely to have issues if you have the older smaller DJ tube. The machine can blink of and on as a result of the sudden jerk and weaker DJ springs.
    Factory & Converted A-2 (US, Ger, Jap)
    Comscore ECT, Matrix & DuoHD
    Walker B, Sanction Standard, Original K, Flex Walker & Ikon
    Kegel C.A.T.S

Comment

We had "Hard Cams" & "Soft Cams" way back when. Like James stated, the last part of the cam around 355 was "Softened" so you would Not get the "Hard snap" forward of the deck. This caused the "Blink" of the lights as the original style Deck Jam tube springs were not strong enough to keep from compressing when they went to Jet Back & A2 conversions. You had to change out the entire tube assembly to the larger one with bigger springs to prevent this. The hard "Snap" also caused the Moving Deck Follower shaft bolt to break. We know what results from that. Deck jams also caused the bolt to break due to the faster speeds. I slowed my machines down to "A" speed and converted the bolt to a larger size. Never broke one again in over 30 years. You can pretty much forget those old part numbers as they no longer apply even though the parts are still out there. And I don't believe Brunswick offers a cam without the bolt mount at this time. You will notice that after the dash, - , the 100s are changed to 102. That was Brunswick's way of indicating it was a part for the A2's or a redesigned or material changed part.

That is why 12-102794 is for a A2, Scotch Yoke, I prefer Dewers LOL, and 12-100828-002 is for the "Old Style" link found on the original "As" whether converted or not.

May want to check these posts:
      Preventative Maintenace - Brunswick A, Jets, A2 - Slow Machine - Semi Creepy Speed (Yes, Maintenance is spelled wrong, Maybe James can correct the Post Title)
      Preventative Maintenance - A-A2 Moving Deck Cam Follower
      Everything has to be Somewhere !!

Comment

On this site somewhere is an outline of both cams overlayed on top of each other by Steve Stafford, this highlights the differences.

Comment

Originally posted by Headpin View Post
          On this site somewhere is an outline of both cams overlayed on top of each other by Steve Stafford, this highlights the differences.

https://www.bowltech.com/forum/pinse...ck-scissor-cam
          Factory & Converted A-2 (US, Ger, Jap)
          Comscore ECT, Matrix & DuoHD
          Walker B, Sanction Standard, Original K, Flex Walker & Ikon
          Kegel C.A.T.S

Comment

I remember that post! Those were my pic's. I finished LV 2 at Bowling Supply Nashville and it was a week on gearbox. (Thanks Phil Cantrell!!!) We took them before I left.
            If I can find them and you want a copy send me a PM. I just took a small Vid of the 310 MD cam and at the end my Detector #5177. yup it's green. I have about 8 1:1 assy's on the shelf. A couple with 37000 along with the matching detectors. They're full of dust so sorry about that on the Video.
            jonesborobowl.com

Comment

Steve gave me a bunch of his files a couple years back, I've seen that exact cam image before. If I manage to get my hands on a 100135 cam I'll be sure to re-create that image again. I'm interested to see what exactly got changed.
              Ethan Campbell
              Technician 2
              Main Event Entertainment - Plano

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
              Working...
              X