Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replacing cushion facing

I have a couple of the urethane facings(the old ones that are stapled to the wooden backing on the cushion) that are in bad shape.....should these be removed when putting the new brunswick urethane cushion cover on, or should I just go over the existing bad cover?
    Nick

i just put the cushion covers right over with no problems. just get ya some heavy duty tie straps and you'll be good to go.
    [email protected] | jsebeny <--YouTube | Cell: 309-275-2453

Comment

Not too much a fan of the tie straps...they always break on me. Might go with rope....I like how the originals are stapled on. If I had something to staple them to the wood I would opt to do that!
      Nick

Comment

I agree with Mechanik, but I lace 3/8 bungee cord through it, tightening as you go. Just tie a couple of knots at each end to secure in place.

Comment

If you have the real Brunswick urethane cushion face I would remove the old and nail on the new. If I use brad nails I hold them with needlenose pliers as I start to drive them. I have been using my air powered staple gun the last couple of years and so far the staples are holding the urethane to the wood, but I won't call that long term success yet. I stretch the urethane into place using shoelaces in the holes designed for cable ties and remove the laces as I nail or staple. I also drill holes at the bolt heads so if the cushion needs to be welded someday I can remove the face and the wood together by simply removing the bolts.

If you are using the flimsy lace on cushion covers I would leave the old face on and install the cover over it using shoelaces. Buy new laces for the rental shoes and use the old ones to lace them on.

Comment

I remove the wood and any old cover. Install new pvc cover and tyrap it on. No issues.

Comment

Instead of using rope or bungee cord and lacing through the holes, just because if you ever have to remove the cover and put it back on it is going to be a PITA to relace with the same piece, I use the tarp tie downs. The little bungee cord loops with the plastic ball on the end. Easy to put on and take off. More flexible than ty-wraps, which when they break, and they will break, need to be replaced.

Have been replacing ty-wraps with the tarp tie downs for over a year, and to date have only had to replace one of the tie downs because of a broken ball in that time.

I have a surplus store that carries these tie downs in bags of 50 for $10. Cheaper than ty-wraps, and I like them better.
              You don't have to be crazy to do this job...But it helps!

Comment

I have a hard enough time fitting the new pre-formed urethane covers onto a plain pit cushion. Leaving the old cover on would cause issues for me.

If you are installing these new covers because of holes worn in your old covers, you should not leave the old cover on as this will allow a void to be present behind the new cover. This could cause premature damage to the new cover.

I remove the old tack boards and install the covers. I have not used anything to hold them on for over 10 years...with no issues. I am not saying you don't need them in your application but I have not needed them here.

Hope this helps...
                TSM & TSM Training Development
                Main Event Entertainment
                480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

Originally posted by cuda96 View Post
                  Instead of using rope or bungee cord and lacing through the holes, just because if you ever have to remove the cover and put it back on it is going to be a PITA to relace with the same piece, I use the tarp tie downs. The little bungee cord loops with the plastic ball on the end. Easy to put on and take off. More flexible than ty-wraps, which when they break, and they will break, need to be replaced.

Have been replacing ty-wraps with the tarp tie downs for over a year, and to date have only had to replace one of the tie downs because of a broken ball in that time.

I have a surplus store that carries these tie downs in bags of 50 for $10. Cheaper than ty-wraps, and I like them better.
                  Thanks for the tip Cuda 96, I do prefer this....

IMG_0147.jpg

over this.....

IMG_0148.jpg

I don't think that they would be strong enough to pull and keep the pvc belting material type cushion covers in place though. May have to use rope there.
                  Nick

Comment

I use them on the both style covers and they work just fine. Haven't had to reposition any because they move using them.

Glad I was able to pass along something that I have found that works.
                    You don't have to be crazy to do this job...But it helps!

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse