Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bellcrank bolt

A machine. The bolt that holds the bellcrank on broke off, anybody know if the stud comes out of the gearbox so I can drill out the bolt. And is there a replacement for the stud? I couldn't find a part number in the book, it shows it but no number.

A2's should have shafts (in the same spot maybe different lengths though) so I can mention my experience with that shaft. I have a few of them with broken bolts on the inside. was was done as a repair was to tap the inside of the shaft and use a 5/16 or 3/8" bolt on the end of the shaft.....the problem with this on A2s is that this is where the sloenoid plate mounts to and people tend to lean on them and this will dislodge the shaft from the housing and over time it will come loose. So then people drill and tap a hole from the top of the housing into the shaft to secure it. This is why it is not a good long term solution. its best to get the broken bolt out and put in the proper bolt.

How I have done it in the past is I made an attachment that hooked up to my slide hammer that threaded into the threads that someone made in the shaft for the make shift repair described above, and pulled it out. Then I carefully drilled and extracted the bolt. I guess if I came across one that hadn't been repaired I could tap it so I could still use my slide hammer...unless somebody has a better way to do it.

There are replacement studs but I don't think you should necesarily need one for this particular problem.
    Nick

Comment

I hadn't thought of theading it. I have a couple broke but only one causing the machine to reset. When you put the shaft back in... Just tap it?

Comment

If the shaft is tapped for removal, you can put a bolt threaded into the end of it and tap on the head of the bolt with a hammer so that you don't mash up the end of the shaft.
        Nick

Comment

Kim:
          There are several styles used; the first models had a 5/16" hole which accecpted a 3/8" NC tap which one would need to run in at least 3/4" then use a 3/8 all thread and various sockets to pull out the old stub, the later models had a 1/4" ID which required a 5/16" NC tap to accomplish the removal. One must be patient and use a good tapping lub to cut the threads (Tap-Magic) is a great drilling and tapping lub. (Use 90 weight gear oil on the threads of the pulling allthread)
          When done pulling, clean the hole with brake cleaner and use locktite to reinstall new stud. The new studs have a relief on the ends to allow for driving into place. The newly installed stud can be tapped also in order to secure the selonoid stand.
          rfm

Comment

I'll give it a try Thursday. thanks

Comment

There is a reason the bolt is threaded into the gear box and not just tapped into the shaft itself. The bolt is used to help keep the shaft from coming loose from the gear box. If it comes loose, you will have other issues. I recommend that you remove the broken bolt and replace the bolt with a new one. Now the 64,000 dollar question...how do you get the broken bolt out? First, determine the size of the hole currently in the shaft. Using a dril as close to that size but at least 1/64th of an inch smaller, drill into the broken bolt using the shaft as a "drill guide". Your goal is to put a "dimple" into the end of the broken bolt. This should be the middle of the bolt as the shaft should center the point of the drill bit onto the broken bolt. Now you can remove the shaft from the gear box.

I use a "Brunswick" slide hammer to remove the shaft after the shaft has been tapped to 3/8-16. You can follow the instructions given above to accomplish this part. Once you have this done, gather the following parts.

11-102262 setscrew
              12-400810 jackshaft
              11-001344 bolt
              12-400139-003 washer
              12-402126 pulley
              or
              12-400126 pulley

The 12-402126 is preferable as it has more mass but the 12-400126 will work. I mention this as you stated you have A machines and may not have the other pulley.

Install the setscrew into one end of the jackshaft. Install the washer and bolt into the other end. Slide the pulley onto the shaft. Should look like this.

Thread the setscrew into the shaft. Using the pulley as a slide hammer...slide hard against the washer. the shaft will come out...after a few hits...but it should come out cleanly.

Now you can drill the broken bolt as it has a centered "dimple" in it. Drill an 1/8" hole into the broken bolt and use an easy out to remove the broken bolt. Install a new shaft if you feel you need to...but the old one should do just fine. You asked for the part number of the new shaft...it would be 12-200049-004.

Install either a new shaft or the old one and install the starter bell crank and a new bolt and washer setup. Hope this helps...
              TSM & TSM Training Development
              Main Event Entertainment
              480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

Awesome post Steve.
                Factory & Converted A-2 (US, Ger, Jap)
                Comscore ECT, Matrix & DuoHD
                Walker B, Sanction Standard, Original K, Flex Walker & Ikon
                Kegel C.A.T.S

Comment

Thats a very cleaver adaptation for a slide hammer steve! If one does not have an actual slide hammer to work with they should keep a junk jack shaft like this in their tool colection. I would put a some type of spacer on the end with the washer to prevent the pulley from falling into the smaller diameter part of the shaft.
                  Nick

Comment

You can use a new jackshaft to do this also as you will not harm the jackshaft.
                    Main Event Entertainment

Comment

Well, the Brunswick slide hammer worked great for removing the stud. However, the bolt was broken at an angle and being recessed in the gearbox, I couldn't drill it out. Thanks for a the assistance. I have another to try this on later.

Comment

did you try to use the inner diameter of the shaft as a guide for a drill bit that just fits inside that inner diameter as steve suggested? The shaft will guide the bit and maybe flatten out the angle of the break and put a dimple on center to guide with the extraction. If not maybe reinstall the shaft and give it a try.
                        Nick

Comment

I use to use a left handed drill bit (#7), about 6-8 inches long to drill the bolt out. It will grab the bolt and spin it out while drilling. On A-2's, the hole for these bolts is drilled and tapped all the way through the gear box housing. On these you can use a right handed bit to spin the broken bolt out.

Comment

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en

I have extractors like this that I absoluely love....they have helped me in many a bind
                            Nick

Comment

Using the shaft as a drill guide should have solved the issue of the bolt being broken at an angle. Reinstall the shaft and give it a shot. Let us know how it turns out.
                              Main Event Entertainment

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse