Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urethane foam lift rod covers

I installed a urethane foam lift rod cover on a machine. It was very difficult. Does anyone have a good method to install these?
    (Psalm 37:29) The righteous themselves will possess the earth, And they will reside forever upon it.

Do you have the lift rod installation air tool?

If so a zip tie barely tightened over the leading end will help trap air in the lift rod cover making it slide over the rest of the rod, even a few squirts of wd-40 helps. Just make sure you throughly clean the rods first with lacquer thinner or other solvent.

Comment

The cover installation tool is just about a must have for this job. I have done it without it but it is much, much harder.
      I also use a hose clamp very lightly tightened on the leading edge of the cover after getting around the top bend.

I don't use ANY kind of lubricant with these, I just make sure the rods are cleaned and deburred, then lightly sanded with emery cloth and finally wiped down with a damp rag and dried.
      You don't have to be crazy to do this job...But it helps!

Comment

Originally posted by cuda96 View Post
        I don't use ANY kind of lubricant with these,
        The only lubricant you can use is baby powder or talcum powder. It works without destroying the inside of the lift rod covers; and it makes the job easier, as long as you use the lift rod cover tool and an air compressor.

Comment

I have an air compressor and an installation tool. The problem I have is after I put the first piece on the long side I but it up to the next piece and it goes on good until I get to the bend. Then I have trouble keeping them together to impart air from the second piece to the first one. It would be nice if the piece for the long side was all one piece.
          (Psalm 37:29) The righteous themselves will possess the earth, And they will reside forever upon it.

Comment

Anyone tried the foam lift rod cover on the SBE units? Was wondering how they would wear on them.

Marty - Pro Bowl West
            56 Jap A-2's Qubica VDB's
            2 Kustodian Walkers
            http://s1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa408/a2mechanic

Comment

Marty I have one here with the foam cover on it and it is several years old and still looks like new.

Ron

Comment

Originally posted by Marty Murphy View Post
                Anyone tried the foam lift rod cover on the SBE units? Was wondering how they would wear on them.

Marty - Pro Bowl West
                I have it there too and just like the lift rods, you will see no wear.
                Nick

Comment

Marty, I have to agree with Ron and Nick. The lift rod cover on SBEs is as good as sliced bread. (And that reminds me...it's lunch time.)

Comment

Purchase a needle for blowing up a football. Attach needle to a blower attachment for your air compressor. Carefully...and I mean carefully ...bend about a 60 degree angle at the base of the tip. Insert the needle under the cover at the end that is already on the lift rod. Using your hand, clamp around the cover where the needle is. Blow air into it and it will now move. It is best to have someone help you with this...but it can be done alone. Pull the cover around farther than you need so you can position the next cover (if you are on the longer rod). You can do the same thing for the next one. You will still need to start the cover with the attachment tool until it won't go any further. Then you will use the needle attachment. The needle does NOT go through the cover material...it goes between the cover and the actual lift rod. I will try to get a picture of this later...
                    TSM & TSM Training Development
                    Main Event Entertainment
                    480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

Thanks Steve!
                      I've used the foam lift rod covers on the SBE and I've used the red urethane from Vantage and they both work well. The only problem I have had with the red Vantage ones is if you have too sharp of a bend on your SBE it WILL tear.
                      Jerry

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse