Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1-1 key is breaking inside gearbox

The key inside the gearbox on a 1-1 has broken 3 times in 1 year. The blackout switches work great and the cam
    followers seem fine. What else would cause enough strain to break the key??

1-1 key is breaking inside gearbox

I have had the inside key on a 1-1 break 3 times in a year on the same machine. The blackout switches are good and
    the cam followers are good. What might cause the amount of pressure it would take to keep breaking the key??

Comment

A sloppy key way on the shaft where the gear mounts.

Comment

David, you're supposed to let HamBone fix it anyways.
        This post is not an unpaid promotion of my business.

Comment

Is the gear or shaft worn? are you replacing with a different 1-1 assy or repairing the same one? are you using oem key?
          formerly dunsel
          ITS NOT HOW MUCH YOU KNOW ITS HOW MUCH YOU CARE!!!!!

Comment

Do you keep rebuilding the same 1:1, or was this on 3 different 1:1s. If you keep on rebuilding the same 1:1 and the key keeps on breaking, maybe it is because there is slop in the keyways of the cam/ shaft of the 1:1 that you are replacing the key on.

Are the keys cut from square stock, or actual individual keys that were ordered? If they are square stock, maybe they are hot rolled steel instead of cold rolled steel which would be more suitable for keys?
            Nick

Comment

You puttin everything on new and tight?

Comment

You've kinda got the same post going twice, so I will post here to in case you check this one and not the other.

Do you keep rebuilding the same 1:1, or was this on 3 different 1:1s. If you keep on rebuilding the same 1:1 and the key keeps on breaking, maybe it is because there is slop in the keyways of the cam/ shaft of the 1:1 that you are replacing the key on.

Are the keys cut from square stock, or actual individual keys that were ordered? If they are square stock, maybe they are hot rolled steel instead of cold rolled steel which would be more suitable for keys?
                Nick

Comment

I've merged the two threads to prevent confusion.

The gearbox gears are meant to be "press fit" onto their shafts. Using new keys with worn parts won't prevent the inevitable.

An example of what a worn shaft will look like after the gear has been allowed to move on the shaft. Even if this was a firm fit, it will in time cause the key to wear or break.

Rule of thumb; new gear + new shaft + new key = Permanent fix.
                  Factory & Converted A-2 (US, Ger, Jap)
                  Comscore ECT, Matrix & DuoHD
                  Walker B, Sanction Standard, Original K, Flex Walker & Ikon
                  Kegel C.A.T.S

Comment

Good post Kanga. had a spare 1:1 sent out to replace the gear (I dont have a press). The guy ended up having to cut the gear off... his 30 ton press wouldn't remove the gear! he called me in and the shaft was scored and looked worse than this photo. long story short, new shaft, new key, new gear...

Comment

If you do not have a new setup to use and you have been rebuilding the same 1:1...you can try this. It will be a disposable unit after this but it is no doubt trash anyway. The key will not break again.

TSM & TSM Training Development
                      Main Event Entertainment
                      480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

I can't say I know exactly what i am seeing....never mind, the shaft is welded to the gear. I guess why not on a set that are garbage anyways.
                        Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Mechanick View Post
                          I guess why not on a set that are garbage anyways.
                          I know that it's a pain in the shorts; but, it'll get you through something important, like a tournament. When things have died down, replace the junker with a new assembly. Then you won't have to worry about the thing for, at least, 20 years (if it's properly maintained).

Comment

If the only thing wrong with it is the gear and key on the inside...this fix can be permanent...at least until something else breaks or wears out. At that point, you were going to throw the rest away anyway.
                            TSM & TSM Training Development
                            Main Event Entertainment
                            480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

Dave do you have the right m-d cam on your machine?

Ron

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse