Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geneva Plates

I have a machine where the moving deck was not moving. At first look I thought that the bottom portion of the moving deck cable had broken. However, after loosening the cable guide and removing the geneva plate, cable was fine. I had raised and lowered the deck several times, trying to get a little room to work in. When I went to replace the geneva plate, the two pins were kind of aligned with the slots, but I could not get the plate to align with the bolt holes; the pins were blocking me. I then looked at the ten pin side geneva plate, and one of the pins was stuck under the plate. I removed that plate and the deck was freed up. However, now the roller pins on each side are blocking me from getting the plates back on. What have I screwed up and how to I get the geneva plates back on? Once I get them back on, then I can start to figure out what the real problem is.

sounds like the spring unwond with plates off do you have spring tention on cables also since you have genevas off will your deck move freeley if not look for your bind as for cable tention you will need to wind it a bit so it pulls on cable
    Mama said bowlers are ornery because they got all them balls and conditions are never good enough

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Wray View Post
      I have a machine where the moving deck was not moving. At first look I thought that the bottom portion of the moving deck cable had broken. However, after loosening the cable guide and removing the geneva plate, cable was fine.
      When you removed the Geneva plates, was the cable still attached? And, is the moving deck cam follower being blocked out?

Originally posted by Bill Wray View Post
      I had raised and lowered the deck several times, trying to get a little room to work in. When I went to replace the geneva plate, the two pins were kind of aligned with the slots, but I could not get the plate to align with the bolt holes; the pins were blocking me. I then looked at the ten pin side geneva plate, and one of the pins was stuck under the plate. I removed that plate and the deck was freed up.
      By pins, I assume you mean the stud bearings. If you find them under the plates, that's usually when the deck is floating. You may have a broken spotting finger or deck chute bolt that has dropped down and is interfering with the stationary deck. Before worrying too much about getting the plates on, try to find where the interference is coming from first. Then you should be able to get the plates back on.
      Factory & Converted A-2 (US, Ger, Jap)
      Comscore ECT, Matrix & DuoHD
      Walker B, Sanction Standard, Original K, Flex Walker & Ikon
      Kegel C.A.T.S

Comment

The moving deck goes back and forth quite easily. There is a slight scratching sound by the Geneva plate section on the seven pin side, but it really does not interfere with the motion. The scissor cable is on but the moving deck cable is off. The upper wheel for the the moving deck cable turns freely. I wasn't sure if that should be happening when the cable is off.

Comment

BILL IF YOU CAN USE A HAND im am 90mis away

Comment

I have the same problem as you have posted. Here is what I found... before you start worrying about an unwound spring. If the cable is still on the lower pulley in the back. You can check this by pulling on the cable and do you have tension (without the plates on)? yes.. you don't have to worry about wrapping cables or rewinding the spring. I would take a look at the bell crank on the 10 pin side. there will be two bearings, if you notice either one of them bent, look closer at the bell crank.. is it the bell crank or the bearing... Mine happens to be the ends of the bell crank are bent. Changing the bell crank is a bolt and roll pin... make sure you put on new bearings. You can also check the plates, but I have never had any geneva plates bend... maybe I am lucky...

Comment

Sounds as if plates were put on in wrong posistion maybe...

If you do find you have tension on shaft, cycle to 270 setting pins at that postion the geneva cam bearings will be straight front to back, in that position the slots in the geneva cam plates will fit in each of that bearing, so back bearing in rear slot and front in front slot

Mike
              DO A NEAT CLEAN JOB, AND FIX IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME. THE ONLY WAY TO WORK.

Comment

MasterMike, I have the machine at 270. That is where it was when I took off the second plate to release the moving deck. The bearings do not line up with the grooves. So I guess that means that the spring has unwound. How do I fix that?

I haven't been back to the lane since Tues. I'm thinking I have to get the geneva rollers working again to figure out what the actual problem is that caused the cable to come off.

Comment

Can u pull on cable and feel tension?
                  If so u might just have to remove the geneva plates and line up moving deck to get them in correct position...
                  if u don't have any tension and it unwound u can turn shaft one and half turn u might need a second hand
                  DO A NEAT CLEAN JOB, AND FIX IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME. THE ONLY WAY TO WORK.

Comment

Bill - are you back up and running?

I took the walk over to the lanes today with the coordinator for a little training time. After we settled into the project, we found that the bell crank on the ten pin side was definitely bent and twisted. The spring had unwound so we did not have to worry about an unwinding spring. We replaced the bell crank and then moved over to the cable side to take the cable off and make sure it wasn't frayed... luckily it wasn't so while my buddy was putting the cable on, I took a 5/8" box end wrench and made the 1 1/2 turns.. My buddy put the pin thru the cable and I started letting the pressure off... WOUND it the WRONG way.. He took the pin back out, and we revisited the wrapping of the spring. He put the pin back in.. and after he finished with the x-washer and put the plate on the ten pin side.. He moved over to the 7 pin side and found that it was missing the bearings. We ran the machine back to zero and he put the bearings on.. then back down to 270 to put the 7 pin side geneva plate... Now we have a happy machine again. I hope you have had some luck with your machine.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse