Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rake sweep hook / deck hook

I have a problem that popped up. I had a call that the rake was down and not sweeping after a ball was thrown. I observed the machine and what I noticed is that the sweep hook was not lowering to grab the crank link, just hanging in the air. I took off the rake sweep hook and put in a new link & rollpins along with a new rake hook. After I put back in the machine, it worked fine for about 10 cycles or so and then it started up hanging in the air again. I check the roller bearing in the detector on hook selector and it was there with now grooves in it. I also tried adjusting the long threaded rod that goes from the rake shaft to the hook selector and would either double sweep when I backed it off or rake hook would stay up. The machine would also stay on the deck post and shift the buckets as if would set new pins while it was on the deck post. So it would stay on 2nd ball unless I pulled on the tube that goes to the deck hook and would free it up. I checked the deck hook and there is a about a 18 - 1/4" gap from the back of the hook and the pin it sits on for 2nd ball.

I'm kinda leaning towards a detector problem at this point. The only thing i noticed is that the I can move the hook selector when the machine is at 0 from left to right. I think the bearing could be traveling off the cam and could be the problem. The detector has been on this lane for a couple of years.

If anyone has any thoughts I would appeciate it.

no signs of rust anywhere, or metal shavings above/around/below the hook selector bearing? as far as the deck staying on the pin, is the "flag" lowered onto the shotgun? if so, just lift it up and walk away. perhaps do a complete rake adjustment and see what happens.
    [email protected] | jsebeny <--YouTube | Cell: 309-275-2453

Comment

If the bearing were missing or missing the cam the hook would lower. You're saying the hook isn't lowering from your post, so that would suggest something is holding the rake sweep hook cam follower bearing almost at the equivalent high of it's cam. Your problem may be with the OOR linkage binding or the hook for the auto OOR kit (if you have them) failing let go of the pin on the rake sweep hook cam follower (AKA hook selector).
      Factory & Converted A-2 (US, Ger, Jap)
      Comscore ECT, Matrix & DuoHD
      Walker B, Sanction Standard, Original K, Flex Walker & Ikon
      Kegel C.A.T.S

Comment

Out of range link not hanging up on rollpin is it?
        Brent V
        Hi-tech Repairs-Duck tape &amp; ty raps

Comment

I have auto out of range on my pinsetters. i will check it out when I get in. It would be a nice answer to the problem if the lever is grabbing early.

I know from last night that once the machine got to 2nd ball, that deck hook would stay on the pin and would never go to 1st ball unless it i lifted it up.

Comment

Inverted trip lever also maybe?

Maybe you lost a rake lift shaft bolt causing it to sag....

Auto OOR could also be it as suggested...

Mike
            DO A NEAT CLEAN JOB, AND FIX IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME. THE ONLY WAY TO WORK.

Comment

BROCKEN SPRING INSIDE upper adjustment tub for deck hook

Comment

Make sure you don't have a missing bolt on the LH side of the rake shaft where it mounts to the frame. A missing lower bolt will result in a turned and raised rake shaft, placing undo pressure on the sweep hook bearing by pressing it against the rake lever shoe, raising it out of the way and keeping the sweep hook from engaging.
                "Efficiency is, doing better what is already being done!"
                Pinsetter Technical Services 214-505-7663

Comment

Quick update, the adjusting bolt and nut to hold the adjustment backed off of the auto out of range. I tightened the screw so there is enough tension so the lever is not grabbing the upper roller on the hook selector bearing. Ran through about 20 cycles and looks back to normal. I will see how it runs tonight with open bowling.

Thanks again

Comment

So last night at the center I work at, we had a pin that got caught at the Y, and jammed about 3 balls up, well the rake was in the 180 position and somehow, it bent, and i mean BENT the arm that catches the rake sweep latch. took me a good time to pound it somewhat straight in order to engage the rake sweep. anyone had this happen??? and of course we didnt have a replacement

Comment

Good time to start replacing with collapsable rake rods.
                      I'm going fishing and camping!

Comment

Originally posted by kblackk64 View Post
                        So last night at the center I work at, we had a pin that got caught at the Y, and jammed about 3 balls up, well the rake was in the 180 position and somehow, it bent, and i mean BENT the arm that catches the rake sweep latch. took me a good time to pound it somewhat straight in order to engage the rake sweep. anyone had this happen??? and of course we didnt have a replacement
                        not sure what the correlation between the balls jamming up the y-switch is with the bowed sweep link.....but I don't think it is the cause. What may have happened to cause this was the shotgun became unlatched at 180 degrees and possibly dropped behind the tail plank of the pin deck, or got caught up as it was dragging again the flat gutters. Check your shotgun to see if it is possibly unlatching when its not supposed to, and more importantly check the adjustment #3- item 6 of the adjustment in the service manual. If this is out of adjustment the rake can catch the tail plank causing the bowed sweep link.
                        Nick

Comment

Originally posted by pt3 View Post
                          I check the roller bearing in the detector on hook selector and it was there with now grooves in it.

If anyone has any thoughts I would appeciate it.
                          PT3 - did you change the hook selector bearing? The grooves are the race that the bearing rides on. I have 4 detectors that need the cam replaced because no one knew to change this bearing.

bearing_bad.jpg

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse