Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Used A-2's

Anyone have an idea on a price for 3000 serial number pinsetters. A house near me is tearing out 8 of them and I was going to buy two of them for parts. They are in pretty good shape.Help!
    If the bowling center is full, there is an empty trailer park somewhere!

Its whatever you guys can come to an agreement with.....I have heard of people paying as low as $300 for a pinsetter to $1000. $500 (or less if the person is willing) is about what i would be looking to pay for pinsetters if I was looking to buy one for parts.
    Nick

Comment

I would say if the machines are in descent condition $500.00 is a fair price, $300.00 in poor condition and up to $1000.00 for top notch machines
      Do it right and you wont do it twice!!!

Comment

It would be a SHAME to use 3000 serial# machines as donors. Swap out 2 of yours and install these and use yours for parts.
        Of course the above statement is just my opinion
        70's MP/PBL/LBS,Q-Score
        Prolane Walker sport

Comment

In opposition to Keeth's statement, I believe a machine is a machine, nothing more and nothing less. The bowlers don't know the difference, nor do they care, as long as they work.

I believe that a prototype or machine serial number 1 should be kept in a museum. After those, every one else is an improvement. An improvement in the manufacturing process; an improvement in materials used; and an improvement in the way the machine operates. A GSX series machine is an improvement over the GS90, much like the A-2 is an improvement over the model A. The thing is that a 3000 series model A can be rebuilt into an A-2 with the available parts, and nobody (read: bowlers) would know the difference.

An A-2 scissors operate the same way as a 3000 series. An A-2 deck moves the same way as a 3000 series. There is a very little difference in the frames of an A-2 vs 3000 series. Both ball and pin elevators operate the same, as does the turret, cross conveyor and pit conveyor. A machine is a machine.

I worked in a boneyard, dismantling machines. Put a 2000 series next to an 80000 series and they look the same. The only difference being one is newer than the other. Both had near new parts; and both had highly used parts. So, who really cares what the serial number of the machine is, as long as the parts can be put to good use.

Comment

Originally posted by keeth View Post
            It would be a SHAME to use 3000 serial# machines as donors. Swap out 2 of yours and install these and use yours for parts.
            Of course the above statement is just my opinion
            For the bolwing tech, there is a sence of history in the fact that it is a lower SN machine. The bowlers and the management may not care quite as much....unless the owner has an appreciation for bowling machinery (maybe they do some of the work if its a smaller center), I doubt they will allow forthe extra man hours it would take to swap pinsetters.
            Nick

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalTom View Post
              In opposition to Keeth's statement, I believe a machine is a machine, nothing more and nothing less. The bowlers don't know the difference, nor do they care, as long as they work.

I believe that a prototype or machine serial number 1 should be kept in a museum. After those, every one else is an improvement. An improvement in the manufacturing process; an improvement in materials used; and an improvement in the way the machine operates. A GSX series machine is an improvement over the GS90, much like the A-2 is an improvement over the model A. The thing is that a 3000 series model A can be rebuilt into an A-2 with the available parts, and nobody (read: bowlers) would know the difference.

An A-2 scissors operate the same way as a 3000 series. An A-2 deck moves the same way as a 3000 series. There is a very little difference in the frames of an A-2 vs 3000 series. Both ball and pin elevators operate the same, as does the turret, cross conveyor and pit conveyor. A machine is a machine.

I worked in a boneyard, dismantling machines. Put a 2000 series next to an 80000 series and they look the same. The only difference being one is newer than the other. Both had near new parts; and both had highly used parts. So, who really cares what the serial number of the machine is, as long as the parts can be put to good use.

I have to agree with you in the fact that whether a newer or older SN A/A2 is on the kickbacks, it essentially does do the same thing. But newer does not always mean better and improved. Sometimes it means not as strong and reduction in production costs. You see this in the aluminum parts of the A2s (moving and stationary decks, gearbox housing) Older and newer machines both had their pros and cons. Older ones where a little beefier material wise in some spots, but some parts and functions were improved in later machines (metal guide roller flanges=bad, no shotgun for quick rake drop, etc..). On the other hand, later machines did have some improved parts and functions as the problems with the earlier machines were discovered, but in an attemp to reduce some of the costs of production, some of the parts and asssemblies produced were not as high in quality as the older stuff ( Ive never had an A gearbox hoising break, but I have seen it happen to quite a few A2 gearbox housings......newer moving decks tend to break more also)
              Nick

Comment

As long as the machines match what you have, it will be worth the cost. If you buy 3000 serial number machines and it is still an A...with steel turrets...and you have A-2's with aluminum turrets, I might pass...might pass.

If you have A-2's and the machines are still straight A's...the side frames would not work as is...you would need to cut them and then install the proper feet if you were ever to need them.

Yes, there are machine parts that would make it worth while, but you would miss out on many parts as they would not match what you have. With that said...it would depend on how much you are going to pay and the shape of the parts. Heck...the pinsetter motor could be worth as much as you are going to pay if the price is right.

Price and interchangeability will determine if it is worth purchasing.
                TSM & TSM Training Development
                Main Event Entertainment
                480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

Thanks everyone. I'll keep you posted on what I do.
                  If the bowling center is full, there is an empty trailer park somewhere!

Comment

My pinsetters,serial#400's are alot stronger than the newer a-2s, especially the deck, newer decks crack as mine are as good as day 1,1956. Gearboxes are better also. I buy used pinsetters usually old ones(serial #2000 or lower) as these are pretty much the same as my old "greenies". Bought 8 pinsetters 15 years ago ( $200 bucks each) from a closing center, serial #1200, still using parts from them and I spend less than 500 a year on parts, don't really think front office understands what I save them.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse