Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deck lowering hook broken off

Quick post on a new problem for me. The hook end of the deck lowering hook is broken off one of my machines. I have a spare part, and it looks like the mechenical aspect of replacing it is within my capability, but I'm concerned about why this happened. I don't want to put another one on just to have it snap off too because of another problem. Has anyone encountered this issue before?

There are a couple of reasons that the hook broke.
    1. metal fatigue;
    2. a bind in the deck lift shaft.

How smooth or jerky does the deck go up and down on the lowering link? If it's smooth, blame metal fatigue. If it's jerky, check your deck lift shaft for a broken bolt, bad bearings, or the deck lift shaft could be cracked or broken. Let us know what you find.

Comment

Most common reason is a binding brass ring on the eccenctric, either too tight or needs lubing. When it binds it punches the main frame resulting in a broken hook, it does this when setting new pins. Will actually bend the main tube
      rfm

Comment

Had this happen a few years ago. If you look close enough, you can see the dent in the crossframe that Roscoe was talking about.

http://s97.photobucket.com/home/Mook_064/allalbums

Mike

Comment

I have this one dis-assembled down to the brass eccentric, and it's very sluggish, I need to remove it and clean and lube before going any further. I also found the x-washer pin through the short slotted link badly grooved. After getting the broken part off and comparing it to my spare part, I noticed a difference in design. The part I removed had a raised "bead" along the inside perimeter of the part that mates with the brass ring, and the replacement part has only a short hollowed out groove with a curved steel rod which
          fits in the groove and also in the groove of the brass ring. I couldn't find a drawing of the hook I removed from the machine. Don't know if this is an older part, or maybe not original Brunswick? I can't see any reason why there would be any difference in operation. Anyway, a little more cleaning up, and I'll be ready to start putting everything back together. Thanks to everyone for your replies. I'll let you know how it goes.

Comment

They should both work fine I think.
            Nick

Comment

The difference in hooks will make no difference.
              TSM & TSM Training Development
              Main Event Entertainment
              480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

isn't there supposed to be a roll pin in the end of the hook to help prevent that from happening?

Comment

The roll pin stops it from dropping behind the deck lift shaft pin.
                  70's MP/PBL/LBS,Q-Score
                  Prolane Walker sport

Comment

As Roscoe explained...this issue comes from the eccentric no turning on the 2:1 smoothly. Either from lack of lubrication or over-tightening the U bolt that wraps around the eccentric. As the 2:1 begins to rotate, the direction of travel for the 2:1 would lift the hook if the eccentric ring (also known as a bearing) doesn't slide on the surface of the 2:1. This "lift" can end up forcing the end of the lowering hook into the crossmember...denting the crossmember and...as in this case...breaking the end of the lowering hook off.

The eccentric ring is nothing but a large bearing. It needs to be kept lubricated with oil (read as "not grease") to prevent binding just like any other bearing needs lubrication. Book states to lube it every week with 2 drops of oil on both sides of the eccentric. There is also a wick inside the cover plate keeping the eccentric on the 2:1. The wick should be lubed with 10 drops of oil every month. This will keep the eccentric lubed enough to prevent it from "gumming" up.

Hope that helps...
                    TSM & TSM Training Development
                    Main Event Entertainment
                    480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

Steve, where is the wick you mentioned and what does it look like? I looked in the parts catalog, and the only ones I saw were index numbers GB400A and GB401a (Pg.33). I don't remember seeing a wick among the parts I removed. I got everything back on yesterday, and am ready to start making the adjustments. Do I need to back up and install this wick before proceeding?

Comment

It is between the ring and eccentric, and no you dont have to back up. On the side of the eccentric facing the cross conveyor you will see a small hole to put in oil, you may have to cycle the machine to be able to see it.
                        formerly dunsel
                        ITS NOT HOW MUCH YOU KNOW ITS HOW MUCH YOU CARE!!!!!

Comment

I've had this broken off by a pinjumper clearing a deck jam and lifting the holding hook when he shouldnt have.. GRRRR.. result was a broken hook during league play

Comment

Originally posted by john dubose View Post
                            isn't there supposed to be a roll pin in the end of the hook to help prevent that from happening?
                            Make sure this roll pin is in place. Also check to see if your eccentric adjustment is right. It could have slipped and could have made the hook too long, hitting the cross member.
                            (Psalm 37:29) The righteous themselves will possess the earth, And they will reside forever upon it.

Comment

Originally posted by Popeye View Post
                              Make sure this roll pin is in place. Also check to see if your eccentric adjustment is right. It could have slipped and could have made the hook too long, hitting the cross member.
                              Not if one hole the hook up by hand

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse