Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Correct procedure/method for bending lift rods?

Collapse

Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Correct procedure/method for bending lift rods?

    Hello everyone,

    I have been doing quite a bit of searching through the forum trying to learn an answer to a question I have concerning bending the lift rods. What exactly is the correct procedure for doing this.

    I know the method involving the long rod but the short rod on some of my machines is just simply way too scrunched towards the long rod causing spinning ball calls up the wazoo. Is there a pretty straight forward answer or procedure for bending the short rod? I was looking at a set and remember a mechanic friend of mine who is excellent just shoved a metal pole between the S curve of the short rod and bent it down or up. However as I look a this, won't this change the height of the short rod as you bend it up which also increases the distance between the short rod and the long rod? Is there a method just to simply bend the short rod out?

    I'm not sure if I'm getting my idea across or not but I have always wondered the full method for doing this. I have a hard time with it since I only have roughly two feet behind our machines. Not much room for much leverage with a long steel pipe. I am a light guy as well.

    Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Wish I could be of more assistance to the guys on here myself but it would seem my advice would be alot of "What he said..." type stuff.

    Dan

  • #2
    If you eat more you will get more leverage, but you might not fit behind the machines. just kidding, I'm AMF, hope you get your answer!

    Comment


    • #3
      I am interested but yet I am lost. So the space between the two rods are to close to one another or farther apart?? Also are you saying the one side of the lift rod is higher then the other? If they are spread apart from one another a C-clamp does wonders but that might not be the problem. How are the kickers on the ball wheel? is the ball wheel sitting on the two lower guide rollers? what is the condition of the lift rod covers??? height of liftrods(screw break?) lets start small here and go from there. Hope we can help.

      Comment


      • #4
        If you don't have leverage maybe you can try something like spreading them apart with a scissor jack? If you want to spread one side but not the other maybe insert a block of wood either against the elevator and the lift rod, or the cushion and the lift rod (depending on which side you don't want to bend). This is just theory....I have not tried this before with a scissor jack.
        Nick

        Comment


        • #5
          Boom! That sounds like it might just work!

          Originally posted by Mechanick View Post
          If you don't have leverage maybe you can try something like spreading them apart with a scissor jack? If you want to spread one side but not the other maybe insert a block of wood either against the elevator and the lift rod, or the cushion and the lift rod (depending on which side you don't want to bend). This is just theory....I have not tried this before with a scissor jack.
          I must not have been very clear when I tried typing my problem out. The space between the two rods is too small. I took a picture with my phone with a tape measure shown but have not been able to get that to work yet. Will post a pic when I get home. Still at work actually! Anyways I measured the lift rod in question and compared it against four of my other machines. The other machines were hovering a little over 4" from elbow to inside of long rod. On the lift rod in question, this gap is roughly 3 1/2". It is a used lift rod I picked up from SBI so I can start rebuilding lift rods without having a lane down.

          Anyways... the ball wheel is sitting perfectly on the bottom trunion rollers. I know this because I just replaced the lower 10 pin side trunion because it was totally gone basically so the ball wheel was sitting way askew. I then centered the ball wheel and it is riding beautifully. The kicker strips on the ball wheel are like on all my other machines. Three strips of cork material from EBN spread evenly. I know it to be the lift rod because I switched the lift rod set out into another machine and the problem moved. I then grew suspect of the short rod and realized how small the gap was between the short rod and the long rod. Hope that... explains it a little better?

          Dan

          Comment


          • #6
            How come spreading them apart is not entering my head as a problem? I mean as the ball travels up the lift rods it would help spread them apart so the C-clamp would help keep them close to one another. I have nothing besides a confused brain right now. How do the get closer to one another?

            Comment


            • #7
              MazdaAspec,

              I am not sure what you mean with respect to the C-clamp. The problem is them being too close so a C-clap would not do much good in this situation. I am not sure how they got close together... maybe damage during shipping or the mechanic that had these lift rods bent them too close? I really don't know, I bought them second hand used. Either way... I know that regardless of what I do to the adjustment on the rods, I still get spinning ball calls up the wazoo and this is with a no spin device. The pit board is set at a good height too and is not hitting the ball. The ball is sitting centered on the ball wheel with these rods when they were in the machines.

              Dan

              Comment


              • #8
                I am not sure how they got close together...
                1[ one reason is if machine triggers to soon with cushion is up ball can hit short rod driving rod back closer to long rod
                2[ after rods were removed from machine other things got stacked on top
                3[ maybe damage during shipping as you bought them second hand [ maybe from a center that closed ]

                first installation i would like to see if spring rod is center with ball wheel
                temporary install one nut and bumper no springs look ware ball sets on ball wheel look to see if ball is centered
                in reference to rods with rods at the lowest adjustment ball should be about 1/2" to 3/4" from short rod [ in my option ]
                turn ball wheel by hand to see if ball engages rods if not some rod adjustments will be necessary
                If all is good install push rod spring and completes the install

                Hopefully this helps

                FYI
                I think master nut has the measurements for the rods front to back

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by PlaydiumJumper View Post
                  Hello everyone,

                  I have been doing quite a bit of searching through the forum trying to learn an answer to a question I have concerning bending the lift rods. What exactly is the correct procedure for doing this.

                  I know the method involving the long rod but the short rod on some of my machines is just simply way too scrunched towards the long rod causing spinning ball calls up the wazoo. Is there a pretty straight forward answer or procedure for bending the short rod? I was looking at a set and remember a mechanic friend of mine who is excellent just shoved a metal pole between the S curve of the short rod and bent it down or up. However as I look a this, won't this change the height of the short rod as you bend it up which also increases the distance between the short rod and the long rod? Is there a method just to simply bend the short rod out?

                  I'm not sure if I'm getting my idea across or not but I have always wondered the full method for doing this. I have a hard time with it since I only have roughly two feet behind our machines. Not much room for much leverage with a long steel pipe. I am a light guy as well.

                  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Wish I could be of more assistance to the guys on here myself but it would seem my advice would be alot of "What he said..." type stuff.

                  Dan
                  The height of the short rod is determined by the height of the lift rods. You vary the height of the lift rods by bending the long or short rods in or out. Unless someone has welded the rod (had that happen), you should be able to sort out the problem by bending the rod as your friend did. I have a procedure I haven't finished yet for a complete procedure for bending the rods...just don't seem to get the time to finish it off...

                  Have you tried Lonnies adjustment for the rods? I haven't, but I've heard good things about it.
                  Factory & Converted A-2 (US, Ger, Jap)
                  Comscore ECT, Matrix & DuoHD
                  Walker B, Sanction Standard, Original K, Flex Walker & Ikon
                  Kegel C.A.T.S

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Kanga,

                    Thanks for the reply and advice! I would love to try and bend the rods as my friend has however I simply don't have the room to get the leverage required. There is very little space behind the machines. Possibly fab up a mount and bend them in the shop room? I have tried bending them but feel as though I am fighting a loosing battle with my short bending pole.

                    I have done the adjustment that works on every other lane to this rod and just can not get it to be happy at all regardless of how I adjust it. Just seems like the short rod is too far centered and not where it should be.

                    Dan

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Thank you wepauls,

                      I will look into this and see how far off I am. Thank you for the tips. I will let you know how I make out. Where in N.Y. are you located? Maybe meet up for coffee sometime.

                      Dan

                      Originally posted by wepauls View Post
                      I am not sure how they got close together...
                      1[ one reason is if machine triggers to soon with cushion is up ball can hit short rod driving rod back closer to long rod
                      2[ after rods were removed from machine other things got stacked on top
                      3[ maybe damage during shipping as you bought them second hand [ maybe from a center that closed ]

                      first installation i would like to see if spring rod is center with ball wheel
                      temporary install one nut and bumper no springs look ware ball sets on ball wheel look to see if ball is centered
                      in reference to rods with rods at the lowest adjustment ball should be about 1/2" to 3/4" from short rod [ in my option ]
                      turn ball wheel by hand to see if ball engages rods if not some rod adjustments will be necessary
                      If all is good install push rod spring and completes the install

                      Hopefully this helps

                      FYI
                      I think master nut has the measurements for the rods front to back

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        If youd invest in the brunswick spinning ball eliminator you may just save yourself awhole lotta time and effort...JMO

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Try this link from Kingpin Enterprises (Lonnie Mitchel) Scroll down to bottom.
                          http://www.kingpinenterprise.com/Technical-Tips.html
                          I'm going fishing and camping!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Dooo! Kanga, you beat me b4 I could get back! I found out the reason on how they could be closer together and it was from being welded back after it was broke at one time thus being shorter and closer together from just misweldeing a bit. Bending them is out of my league there fore I am 5'7" and weigh 140lbs. Good luck!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I use a vibrator shaft and a 4x4 piece of wood to bend them. No question on leverage there.

                              Comment

                              Topic Starter RibbonScript

                              Collapse

                              Adsense Classic 2

                              Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                               

                              Well this is a first.

                              We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...
                               

                              Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

                              Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...
                               

                              Even old mechanics find something new.

                              All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...
                               

                              82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

                              We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...
                               

                              Prolane damage

                              Can this be repaired?
                               

                              LED Ball Lights

                              Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                              Working...
                              X