Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rake hook not disengaging

So, everytime I run one of my machines, the rake hook won't disengage after it has already swept. So it sweeps again while the deck is moving down. A bad jam accrues due to the left rake arm and the the little cover for the moving deck/scissor cables collide. I have to knock them apart, which is not easy. Hence the two rake arms shoot forward violently. I am worried to keep messing with it without direction to avoid damage to the machine or myself. Any clues how to solve this? Thanks!

Check the rake sweep hook adjustment. Make sure you have proper gap between block and hook with the rake crank link fully extended. If there isn't enough of a gap the sweep hook will not disengage properly and cause the problem that you are having.

Adjustment 3-4 in the service manual.
    You don't have to be crazy to do this job...But it helps!

Comment

Check your hook selector cam roller.
      I'm going fishing and camping!

Comment

I had the same issue recently and what it turned out to be was the idler gear from the 1:1 to the detector the bolt on the idler had come loose after tightening up the bolt the problem went away.
        Last edited by Gary R.; 03-06-2012, 06:59 AM. Reason: Forgot info

Comment

Need to do a full rake adjustment by Steve Stafford. He has the best one!

Comment

Originally posted by PJ View Post
            Sounds like this little roller is broken.
            (Psalm 37:29) The righteous themselves will possess the earth, And they will reside forever upon it.

Comment

Highball, the hook selector is part of the detector. There is a link that runs from the top of the hook selector up to a collar on the cross shaft on top of the machine. The stud bearing is on that hook selector. Sounds like the outer race is gone 'cause what you describe is what happens when that bearing goes.
              It is wiser to find out than suppose.--Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Gary R. View Post
                I had the same issue recently and what it turned out to be was the idler gear from the 1:1 to the detector the bolt on the idler had come loose after tightening up the bolt the problem went away.
                I had the same issue with rake sweep hook was not letting go

As i arrived to machine and observed the problem i found the idler gear on 1 to 1 and detector all chewed up because of a freaking xwasher that fell in.....man that ruined my day

mike
                DO A NEAT CLEAN JOB, AND FIX IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME. THE ONLY WAY TO WORK.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary R. View Post
                  Its all well and good, suggesting something to do with bearings and all that, but remember the KISS theory. It could be something as simple as someone hitting the rake and bending the rake crank link just a little bit.

This is something that I find 90% of the time. Not broken bearings. I know that bearings do break and wear out, but suggesting things like that FIRST could end up costing a lot of time and confusion for somebody that is just getting into the business, when the most common problem(s) are the ones that should be suggested looking at first.

I certainly don't mean for anybody to take offense at this. I have all the respect in the world for you guys and your VAST knowledge of these machines, how they work, and what goes wrong with them. I am just stating MY opinion.

Comment

If the rake rod was bent, the block would not reach the rake hook!
                    I'm going fishing and camping!

Comment

Originally posted by cuda96 View Post
                      Check the rake sweep hook adjustment. Make sure you have proper gap between block and hook with the rake crank link fully extended. If there isn't enough of a gap the sweep hook will not disengage properly and cause the problem that you are having.

Adjustment 3-4 in the service manual.

Let me first say I am not offended. Nor is it my intention to offend you. IMO in your first post you kinda stated just what you said in your recent post and it was a good suggestion. I don't see anything wrong with different ones posting all the possible problems that could cause his issue. It will serve to educate the original poster and maybe any who might read the thread. In the end it is the tech that is employed by the center who is responsible for maintaining their pinsetters. He can pick and choose which suggestions to use.
                      (Psalm 37:29) The righteous themselves will possess the earth, And they will reside forever upon it.

Comment

If it was bent while it was hooked it would never let go!

Comment

here is a picture of the hook selector bearing..

bearing_bad.jpg

Comment

One cause of this issue is the rake sweep hook link and roll pins that attach the link to the rake sweep hook and the bellcrank. Once these wear, the hook will not raise as high. Eventually this can lead to the hook not coming off the block. The mechanic's first reaction to this is to raise the hook by using the adjustment. Eventually, the adjustment causes the curved shoe to bottom out on the bottom of the bellcrank. This will put too much pressure on the moving parts, forcing that pressure to be transmitted back to the roller bearing on the rake sweep hook cam follower in the detector. This pressure can eventually break the bearing on the cam follower...which then leads to the hook not letting go of the block again. This is when the mechanic usually ends up finding the broken bearing and then changes the parts needed...but sometimes misses the original cause. The wear on the link and the roll pins. If you find a broken bearing...be sure you check the link and roll pins.

sweephook.jpg
                            TSM & TSM Training Development
                            Main Event Entertainment
                            480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

I just recently had this problem. For me the the blocks for the adjusting rod were egged out from the detector to the middle shaft of the rake assembly. replaced the blocks and no problems.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse