Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PINDECK LIGHTING

I am in need of fixing one of my pindeck lights....My machines are wired up for 208.
    I was sent a replacement ballast that is 220v.. 60htz rapid start.

My fixture is old, and with starters.
    I am going to put new spring loaded ends on, and install the new ballast.
    Am I going to be alright installing this ballast???

I will just say it......Electric is not my thing.
    WE ARE NOW REALLY TWIN OAKS LANES.

Is it not supposed to be a 115V ballast? If you are going to be using the regular T-12 bulbs, make sure its a T-12 ballast you are getting. The wiring diagram on the ballast is pretty basic and easy to follow. It will show a diagram with either 2 or 1 bulb setup....follow the 1 bulb setup.

Originally posted by JEFF KUHNLE View Post
    I am in need of fixing one of my pindeck lights....My machines are wired up for 208.
    I was sent a replacement ballast that is 220v.. 60htz rapid start.

My fixture is old, and with starters.
    I am going to put new spring loaded ends on, and install the new ballast.
    Am I going to be alright installing this ballast???

I will just say it......Electric is not my thing.
    Nick

Comment

If you are getting new ballast I would go with T5 ballast and bulb. All my deck lights are 110V.
      I'm going fishing and camping!

Comment

Originally posted by PJ View Post
        If you are getting new ballast I would go with T5 ballast and bulb. All my deck lights are 110V.
        I have been switching to T8 as I go along because I can use the same lamp holder that was used for the T12.....aren't the T5 bulbs a bit shorter in length, so you wouldn't be able to mount lamp holders in the same manor as the t12/8 lamp holders?
        Nick

Comment

I have the F40T1050 bulbs I switch to 10 years ago.
          They work fine with all my other light fixtures.
          I think the old ballast was just wore out.......
          I was more worried about the ballast being the correct one for the machine being wired 208.

Comment

The old ballast was listed 208. Had to be original ballast. I wired the fixture up, put my new ends on......plugged it in and all seems to be fine.
            I dont know about other folks......but I get a little shakey if have to do anything electrical with more than 120.......I'm OK with plugs, outlets, etc.......

Comment

I hear ya, 220v can really bite. (bar dishwasher) The new ballasts seem to be more universal for more applications.

Comment

Originally posted by Mechanick View Post
                I have been switching to T8 as I go along because I can use the same lamp holder that was used for the T12.....aren't the T5 bulbs a bit shorter in length, so you wouldn't be able to mount lamp holders in the same manor as the t12/8 lamp holders?
                T5 lamps are the same length (as the larger in diameter lamps they are replacing) but are smaller in diameter than the T8 which are smaller in diameter than the T12. But if I remember correctly the T5 lamps use different lampholders than the T8/T12, I believe the pins on the tube ends are a lot closer together.

Comment

Originally posted by Tablejam View Post
                  T5 lamps are the same length (as the larger in diameter lamps they are replacing) but are smaller in diameter than the T8 which are smaller in diameter than the T12. But if I remember correctly the T5 lamps use different lampholders than the T8/T12, I believe the pins on the tube ends are a lot closer together.
                  The pins are closer together....I have a T5 I use in my aquarium and it is a couple of inches shorter than the T12/t8 bulbs.
                  Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Mechanick View Post
                    The pins are closer together....I have a T5 I use in my aquarium and it is a couple of inches shorter than the T12/t8 bulbs.
                    I have been corrected.

Comment

I Know the T # is the mm. in diameter. But why are they going smaller when the compact florecent have the spiral tubes to get more surface area to glow.

Comment

Apparently the smaller diameter lamps are supposed to be more energy efficient.

http://ext.homedepot.com/shopping-to...bulbsizes.html

Light bulbs are measured at its widest point by eighths of an inch and the letter corresponds to its shape. For example, a standard A-19 lamp has an "A" or arbitrary shape that is 19 eights of an inch at its widest point. Linear fluorescent tubes, such as a T5 are Tubular and 5/8" in diameter. A PAR 38 floodlight lamp is a Parabolic Aluminized Reflector and at its widest point, the face of the bulb, is 38 eights of an inch.

Comment

Thanks TJ I just looked at a ruler and there is 25 mm in an inch.

Comment

Originally posted by rivmike View Post
                            Thanks TJ I just looked at a ruler and there is 25 mm in an inch.
                            You would think the measuring system would be something simple like that but sadly, no!

Comment

Originally posted by Tablejam View Post
                              My bad, I meant T8. All the overheads in the center has been changed to T8, just a few pin deck lights to go.
                              Last edited by PJ; 03-10-2012, 05:38 AM.
                              I'm going fishing and camping!

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse