Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rake trip bracket

I just wanted to share this. this is something i have been doing to my brackets with good hole so that the they don't end up with egged ou holes from the x-washer pin spinning around. use a bolt with a locknut snug enough so that it does not spin. then i add another nut to retain the spring.
    IMG_0202.jpg

Out of the 36 lanes i have about 20+ that have sloppy holes. This is somthing i am going to do a few at a time to repair them when i am in and all the lanes are going and i have time for benchwork specific tasks. I have some new ones, so i can swpa out these with some bad ones and then work on them at my own leasure. I kade a jig for repairing them with an old bad one:

IMG_0187.jpgIMG_0204.jpgIMG_0205.jpgIMG_0206.jpg

Then this is how I repair them. weld in the holes (with a copper plate backing), grind them flat, and drill holes with the jig I made. This puts the holes in the exact place as a new bracket. Its as good as new again after a coat of paint.

IMG_0189.jpgIMG_0190.jpgIMG_0193.jpgIMG_0207.jpgIMG_0209.jpgIMG_0210.jpg

Then I put on the bolt in place of the x-washer pin and they should never have to be replaced again.
    Nick

nick
    was [pm] lackeding before you started working thar ?

Comment

yes it was....

I have a lot of cuchion/rake triangular plates that I can do a similar repair to! lol.

I know that these parts do not cost a ton of money, but when you add up how many of each of these are in need of replacing throughout the center, then the $ amount adds up. If i can manage these tasks in the time where i can't do lane work ( Every sunday morning during the fall/winter season I have time to do this while leagues are running) then I can use this money towards other parts. Example...by repairing those brackets i can buy a urethane cushion facing, or a couple of pit rugs instead.

I don't have an issue with myself or others repairing a part and using it as long as A) the quality of craftamnship in the repair is good, and B) it is done in a manner where you end up with a part in the end that is as good if not better than the original.

I feel my craftsmanship if good and the end result is a part just as good as new. The holes are exactly where they are supposed to beand this is shown in the last picture with all 3 brackets lined up together with bolts
      Nick

Comment

seems like a lot of work. i did the same fix to a few of mine at my old place w/o welding the holes shut and re-drilling. worked fine and no slop. if i had to, i just added a washer on the INSIDE of the bracket to pick up some slack. good idea though! I, personally, think it's too much work, lol.
        jsebeny1980@gmail.com | jsebeny <--YouTube | Cell: 309-275-2453

Comment

Does the price in welding rods (or wire), your time on the project, and time away from other machine/building maintenance save time in the long run? Or cost effective?

I like the idea, and am not bashing it. I personally wouldn't have the time to do such a thing due to other projects and business. And my company does not allow welding. So I have to use plan b.

Just seems like more money going into repairing a failed part, rather than just order the part that's not too expensive. Curious on your thoughts.

Comment

I can probably get 8 - 10 of these done in an hour. Take a hand full of them and weld them, grind them, and drill them. Have the pinchasers clean them up, paint them, and assemble them. It gives me a little project for those sunday mornings when all I can do is benchwork. And it is more beneficial for the center that I be doing such tasks in those hours that all the lanes are needed instead of sitting on my ass or sociallizing ( like the rest of the staff at the front!). And gives some tasks for pinchasers which they definantly have room for while they are in the back during league nights
            Nick

Comment

Originally posted by House View Post
              Does the price in welding rods (or wire), your time on the project, and time away from other machine/building maintenance save time in the long run? Or cost effective?
              a 2 lb spool of flux core welding wire costs me $20 and I could probably weld 1000 (guesstimate) of these with that spool. Not a lot of welding wire used for filling those 2 holes so I don't consider that much of a cost really.

Would I come into work and do this when I could be doing other preventative maintenance on the pinsetters......no. I do have priorities and this repair is not high on my list when i can spend $10 do buy a new one if I had to.

Would I do this and similar projects on those shifts when all the lanes are needed and I am babysitting the pinsetters in the back....definantly yes! Why not. Its better than sitting on my ass! The way I see it is I will be saving the center a couple of hundred bucks by doing it on thoses hours.
              Nick

Comment

I have done the same "mod" to my brackets minus the welding. I have yet to have any issues with the holes being egged out. I like the idea though and if I could weld in our center, I too would do it in my spare time. Does not take long to weld in a hole and then grind it down smooth. I do paint mine though...
                TSM & TSM Training Development
                Main Event Entertainment
                480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Stafford (JBEES) View Post
                  I have done the same "mod" to my brackets minus the welding. I have yet to have any issues with the holes being egged out. I like the idea though and if I could weld in our center, I too would do it in my spare time. Does not take long to weld in a hole and then grind it down smooth. I do paint mine though...
                  Steve, I got part of this idea from you because I would have never known about the trick of using a copper plate as a backing to fill in holes (the steel does not stick to the copper). This is something I beleive that you suggested in repairing the holes for a pit cushion.
                  Nick

Comment

Hey Nick, I did pretty much the same thing to a lot of the rabbit ears on my machines. I don't know if it saved a lot of money versus time spent to do repairs on those was a bit more than filling in a hole as a lot of mine were simply missing the whole end of the metal bar and had peices of metal welded on to extend it out or washers welded on one side etc etc. I'd love to say they were just "egged" out. It probably cost my center the same to pay me versus buying a good used one, however like you it did allow me to buy something else that wasn't repairable. I'm sure just buying it is justifiable if the center will spend the money but as most of us know that usually isn't the case.

P.S. the brass/copper works well but if you check with your local welding supply... they sell ceramic backings which will accomplish the same task. Couple of plus's to this is they don't have the little bit of contamination from the brass, the ceramic has a slight depression in it to allow the weld to flow downward into it and if it's on something large it does have self adhesive tape on it to hold it in place around the weld while you initially start welding. The ceramic will slightly stick to the bead after you start welding so when the tape gives up or burns off it won't fall off... with a light tap the ceramic will pop off, and a whole strip of the blocks if fairly cheap.
                    Call if you need help. I may not answer but I will return your call when I get back. 757-653-7230

Comment

Other projects that I have worked on in those peak hour where the lanes are going include:

Repairing bad time delay modules
                      1001707f.jpg

repairing 5-pin chutes with broken arms
                      1002156z.jpg

I made a parts cleaner for myself
                      1002011t.jpg

I made camera guards
                      1002167.jpg

If i ask my owner Im sure he is happy that I did these things rather than go to the front counter and be a 3rd (uneeded) front counter helper during those hours
                      Nick

Comment

Nice parts cleaner dude.....

Mike
                        DO A NEAT CLEAN JOB, AND FIX IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME. THE ONLY WAY TO WORK.

Comment

nice work im gonna try a few im doing all my machines over some guy painted them all blue..

Comment

Originally posted by madblackout View Post
                            nice work im gonna try a few im doing all my machines over some guy painted them all blue..
                            eww, depending on the shade of it, i don't think it'd be THAT bad. i'm still wanting to try black/yellow since it looks so awesome on bikes, but not quite sure how it would on assemblies. so i'll stick to my gloss smoke gray/gloss black/aluminum
                            jsebeny1980@gmail.com | jsebeny <--YouTube | Cell: 309-275-2453

Comment

Who really cares what color the pinsetter is painted as long as the machine operates properly. However, the only parts you should worry about are the deck shields and rake boards. Those are the only parts seen by the customers.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Table cutting off before the end of the cycle

I have one lane that has been giving me trouble lately. It used to be every once in awhile but now it is happening every cycle. Start 1st ball cycle, sweep drops does the usual...

ETU diagnostic tool

I've posted before about wanting to try and figure out how to fix these trigger boards we have. I'm trying to map the thing out and create a schematic, but it's slow going, especially...

Gutter Straps

Hey everyone, I hope someone can direct me in the right direction. I'm looking to find either a part number or someone willing to part with some.gutter straps. I have plastic...

AMF 82-90XL BE Gearbox seals part number cross reference.

I have spent a few hours cross checking part numbers for my 82-90xl's Back end gearboxes. I have found that most auto part stores carry these seals for a fraction of the price...

Roller Clutch issue

Has anyone had to remove the plastic ring in the back side of the plate in order to achieve good indexing? I now have 2 roller clutches without the backing rings in service. Either...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                              Working...
                              X