Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• moving deck - deck bell crank...

Recently there have been a few posts regarding sticky moving decks... or decks that will not shift properly...

Here is one of 4 deck bell cranks that I have replaced in an 8 lane house.

Bad_and_Good_Deck_Bell_Crank.jpg

What caused the part to bend?

It took me 3 years and a master electrician to find out why... After spending 7 hours of volunteer time (14 for both of us) a few weeks ago... apparently, the bolt for the turret jam switch had been screwed down so the machine could not be turned on from the counter. Also, someone had changed the center switch in the back to bypass the safety switches. The machine safety switches which were not functioning; are now working as they should. This will keep the machines from destorying themselves (or the mechanic/pinchaser) when there is a pin jam... As always, nobody confesses to the who or when... but it sure feels a lot safer when I go to catch a stop.

So as a safety share... please go through and check your switches periodically to make sure they are working as they should. 2 minutes of preventive maintenance can save hours on replacing a 1 to 1 or 2 to 1 cover plate... I should know

UPS
    Last edited by wepauls; 04-09-2012, 01:07 PM.

Comment

amechwannabe needs a new name course you [ ARE A MECHANIC ]

GRATE POST + PIC

Comment

Originally posted by amechwannabe View Post
        Recently there have been a few posts regarding sticky moving decks... or decks that will not shift properly...

Here is one of 4 deck bell cranks that I have replaced in an 8 lane house.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2267[/ATTACH]

What caused the part to bend?

It took me 3 years and a master electrician to find out why... After spending 7 hours of volunteer time (14 for both of us) a few weeks ago... apparently, the bolt for the turret jam switch had been screwed down so the machine could not be turned on from the counter. Also, someone had changed the center switch in the back to bypass the safety switches. The machine safety switches which were not functioning; are now working as they should. This will keep the machines from destorying themselves (or the mechanic/pinchaser) when there is a pin jam... As always, nobody confesses to the who or when... but it sure feels a lot safer when I go to catch a stop.

So as a safety share... please go through and check your switches periodically to make sure they are working as they should. 2 minutes of preventive maintenance can save hours on replacing a 1 to 1 or 2 to 1 cover plate... I should know
        I believe that part is called the deck ball crank.
        I'm going fishing and camping!

Comment

Hate to ask this but, where do you locate that part at? Must be hide pretty good from me.

Comment

Originally posted by PJ View Post
            I believe that part is called the deck ball crank.
            I always called it the bell crank also or the geneva lever which i believe is its proper name. On the online version it is names as a ball crank... but I would not be suprised if it is mis-spelled.

Actually I just pulled out a 1999-2000 parts catalog and it is named a bell crank in there
            Last edited by Mechanick; 04-09-2012, 08:36 PM.
            Nick

Comment

Originally posted by yazu View Post
              Hate to ask this but, where do you locate that part at? Must be hide pretty good from me.
              On the sides of the moving deck towards the rear you have a plate on each side with slots in them (geneva plates) On the left plate you have a geneva pulley that the deck cable wraps around with 2 bearings that follow in the slots of the plate. On the right side you have the geneva lever ( item in the picture) with 2 bearings that follow in the slots of the right side plate.
              Nick

Comment

Sorry about the deck bell ball crank lever...

yazu.. it's on the 10 pin side geneva plates. I normally take the plate off, run the machine back to 0, then replace the ball crank. @PJ I have always called it a deck bell crank , but dang if the pinsetter parts manual don't say ball crank... guess I'll go check the parts manual before I post (normally I do, but I guess I thought I had a memory like a steel trap... but then I found that the hinges were rusty.)

Comment

I guess it does'nt really matter what it's called as long as person knows where it is located and how to replace it.
                  I'm going fishing and camping!

Comment

In the 2006 version of the new pinsetter parts catalog it says ball crank. This is one of the many mistakes Brunswick made in this edition. The correct word is bell-crank. This mistake might not be crucial but there are many others that are. They came out with the newer version that Mechanick referred to, which from what I understand, has been corrected.
                    (Psalm 37:29) The righteous themselves will possess the earth, And they will reside forever upon it.

Comment

Amechwannabe,

Thanks for the tip. I have not checked my jam switches in a while and I should do that in the near future.
                      (Psalm 37:29) The righteous themselves will possess the earth, And they will reside forever upon it.

Comment

wow........

I have never seen one of those do that

Mike
                        DO A NEAT CLEAN JOB, AND FIX IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME. THE ONLY WAY TO WORK.

Comment

seriously... I had 4... in one center... with 8 lanes!!!! You have to remember... the safety switches were bypassed with the center switch in the back. The torque that the gearbox and motors is unbelieveable.. and after seeing what it does to some of the metal parts.. it scares the crap out of me knowing that the machine wouldn't shut off if there was a major problem. But they do now!

Popeye - you are more than welcome.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                          widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                          Working...
                          X