Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Short turret belts

Ok, I'll ask. Why two different lengths?

Originally posted by yazu View Post
    Ok, I'll ask. Why two different lengths?
    ONE is for stamped cams
    ONE is for cast cams

Comment

Originally posted by wepauls View Post
      ONE is for stamped cams
      ONE is for cast cams
      Thanks and which is which? How much of a difference is there in the height of the 2 cams?

Comment

Originally posted by yazu View Post
        Thanks and which is which? How much of a difference is there in the height of the 2 cams?
        About half the thickness of the belt possibly more as one of the small pulleys is just two plates put together and the other small is machined offset to one side.
        70's MP/PBL/LBS,Q-Score
        Prolane Walker sport

Comment

cams.jpg
          These are your two different cams, cast and stamped.
          I'm going fishing and camping!

Comment

I thought it had to do with what kind of pulley was on the clutch - the one piece or the split two piece style.

Marty - Pro Bowl West
            56 Jap A-2's Qubica VDB's
            2 Kustodian Walkers
            http://s1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa408/a2mechanic

Comment

Here is Steve's pic of a side by side comparison of the 2 types of cams.

Go with what works and not what the book says.

Comment

This is one way to tell if your belt is too short. Rotate the turret around to the 1 pin position If the top turret clutch pulley and the cam touch, your belt is too short. Stand up above your turret on the platform. (Not the catwalk, which is, by the way not a catwalk.) Observe the torsion latch shaft from above. If it is hiding under the trip lever shaft your belt is too long. (Maybe stretched too.)
                (Psalm 37:29) The righteous themselves will possess the earth, And they will reside forever upon it.

Comment

For the cast cam it's the offset pulley.
                  I'm going fishing and camping!

Comment

Originally posted by wepauls View Post
                    ONE is for stamped cams
                    ONE is for cast cams
                    Actually, that has nothing to do with it. The longer belt came out as there were issues with the clutch pulley (upper) hitting the spider release cam as the cam came around. Use the shorter belt unless the cam is striking the upper pulley.

When the newer stamped cam was put out, the parts book told you to order a series of parts to make the change from cast to stamped. The belt was not one of those. I have had to use the longer belt on both styles of cams so what style cam you have does not seem to be the deciding factor.

I know the latest parts book states that the longer belt is for the stamped cam while the shorter one is for the cast version...but the latest full parts books are the first books to state that. The annual parts book does not even state what the difference is besides length. And the length seems to have changed over the years. Started at 48 and 48 1/2 and now they are up to 49 1/2 and 50. Inflation I guess?

Bottom line, use the one that fits your setup.
                    TSM & TSM Training Development
                    Main Event Entertainment
                    480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

Have replaced the belt with a few used ones. I get the same results. It sometimes dbl. indexes after 5 only. Other times it runs just as they drew it up. Will look closer for binds and or adj.

Comment

Replace the belt with a new one and see what happens. The used belts could be stretched which can lead to double indexing after the 5.
                        TSM & TSM Training Development
                        Main Event Entertainment
                        480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

What lenght should I buy? Serial numbers of machines are 3400. This appears to be a hit and miss problem. Like I stated before , it sometimes works well.

Comment

[QUOTE=Steve Stafford (JBEES);470847]Actually, that has nothing to do with it. The longer belt came out as there were issues with the clutch pulley (upper) hitting the spider release cam as the cam came around. Use the shorter belt unless the cam is striking the upper pulley.

Like Steve says, use the shortest belt that will fit your machines. If the upper clutch pulley is hitting the spider cam use a longer belt. You can try looking on your existing belts for a part number. Worst case scenario, order one short one and if it works, great! If not you will have to order the longer ones.
                            (Psalm 37:29) The righteous themselves will possess the earth, And they will reside forever upon it.

Comment

I, too, agree with Steve Stafford. Use the belt that works the best. And always replace a used belt with a new one. That way there'll be no doubt if the belt is the cause of the issues.

One other thing. If you use the two-part tension spring on the long belt, make certain that it's not too tight. The easy way to adjust the spring is to back it off until the turret hesitates between the 5 and 9 pin positions. Then turn the spring two full turns clockwise (as you face it) and watch the turret index between the 5 and 9 positions. When the turret indexes smoothly, that's the position that is the best. Too much tension on the long belt can cause issues.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                              Working...
                              X