Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turning the light

I just installed a new motor contactor, and there is no place to put the light relay on. Where do you put the light relay??

Light relay? Are talking about a switch that mounted to the rear of the Guardian motor contactor? If so, you will need to do a little wiring to get the deck light to work. THe easiest way is to attach the leads ffrom the deck light receptacle to the coil wires of the motor contactor. However, if you have 208 volt machines, this is not recommended as this might not supply enough voltage to the deck light. Start by measuring the voltage to the coil of your motor contator and see if it is in the area of 115 volts. If so, go ahead and wire the deck light wires to the coil. If not...get back with us with the voltage reading and we can let you know where to wire everything
    TSM & TSM Training Development
    Main Event Entertainment
    480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

I already checked all voltages in the box. Can not find 125 off when machine is turned off. I can find on all the time, as long as the power is at the machine. Thanks

Comment

There should be 0 volts on the motor contactor coil when the machine is off; and there should be a voltage when the machine is turned on. The best and safest way to check your electrical box voltages is to unplug the main motor. And use caution when using the meter probes. There will be a lot of dangerous voltages in the electrical box.

Also, there is a difference between the motor start relay and the motor contactor. The motor start relay coil should be 24 volts AC when the pinsetter is turned on; while the motor contactor coil operates at line (110 - 205 or 220 VAC) voltage. The motor start relay controls the voltage to the motor contactor.

Steve is correct. Check the voltage going to the motor contactor coil is at 110 - 120 volts. This is where you want to connect the wires to the pin light. If the voltage is anything other than 110 - 120 VAC, STOP! (If the voltage is higher, there's the possibility of blowing out the pin light ballast.)

The way to check the input voltage of the pin light ballast is to disassemble the pin light fixture and look at the ballast. It should have a label with the input and output voltages clearly marked, as well as the color codes as to which wire is which. (Usually, the black and white wires are the input (connected to the mains), and the green wire is the chassis (earth) ground.) The output wires (usually red and another color) go to the fluorescent tube.

Let us know what you find.

Comment

Sounds like you are reading voltages to ground...don't. Measure everything between two points within the electrical system. Reading to ground will give you false and/or misleading information.
          Main Event Entertainment

Comment

No place to mount the relay to the top of the new contactor

Comment

i DONT KNOW IF THERE IS A WAY TO REMOVE A POST? i DOUBLE POSTED?
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Mechanick; 04-29-2012, 07:16 PM.
              Nick

Comment

A pic is worth a thousand words.

Is it a "new" contactor......or an older used one that is new to that electrical box?

This is a new contactor....is this what you installed ?:
                watermark_450x450_450_450_uploadscacheimagesparts12-862111-000_a_410_306.png
                Or are you mistaking the newer thermal overload relay for the contctor?

hammer.JPG

I was wondering if this is part of your issue with not being able to fit the motor start relay. Typically electronics get smaller and more compact as time passes, but this is not the case with their new motor overload. The newer one is much bigger than the older one. The installation of the newer larger one requires the motor contactor to be raised so that the motor start relay can fit in its spot.
                Nick

Comment

That is the one I installed. The old one has the light relay on top mounted with two screws. Some of the other machines have a micro switch mounted to the top of the contactor. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by mustangjeff View Post
                    That is the one I installed. The old one has the light relay on top mounted with two screws. Some of the other machines have a micro switch mounted to the top of the contactor. Thanks

Im unfamiliar with a switch or a relay mounted above the contactor....if it aint too much work, would you be able to post a pic of an electrical box with the setup you are speaking of?
                    Nick

Comment

You will see this on the pinsetter schematic diagram page 1-71 figure 67. Go to the TLP6 (pin light) follow wire #29 go's to RL3 at point 7 and wire #31 go to point 2. As far as I know all A's have these. A contact or (relay) opens when the contactor pulls in turning the pin light on. My contactor has no spot to mount this contact or relay. I will try to post pics tomorrow. Thanks

Comment

mustangjeff, I have replaced several old Federal Pacific contactors on converted A2's. I believe what you are talking about , which has led to some confusion, is an open point switch mounted to the top of the contactor . When the contactor is energized, the switch is held closed. The pin light is powered from this switch. When you identify it as a relay , i think most are visualizing a cube relay. The schematic that I looked at shows the contactor (RL3) with an extra switch for the pinlight. The newer contactors do not have the extra switch, and you pick up power to the pinlight from one side of the new contactor coil as Steve pointed out in an earlier post.
                        There is light at the end of the tunnel - just be sure it is not a train.

Comment

Originally posted by ewen View Post
                          mustangjeff, I have replaced several old Federal Pacific contactors on converted A2's. I believe what you are talking about , which has led to some confusion, is an open point switch mounted to the top of the contactor . When the contactor is energized, the switch is held closed. The pin light is powered from this switch. When you identify it as a relay , i think most are visualizing a cube relay. The schematic that I looked at shows the contactor (RL3) with an extra switch for the pinlight. The newer contactors do not have the extra switch, and you pick up power to the pinlight from one side of the new contactor coil as Steve pointed out in an earlier post.
                          Great post ewen

Mike
                          DO A NEAT CLEAN JOB, AND FIX IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME. THE ONLY WAY TO WORK.

Comment

Did you measure the voltage at the coil of the motor contactor? What do you have there?
                            Main Event Entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Mechanick View Post
                              Im unfamiliar with a switch or a relay mounted above the contactor....if it aint too much work, would you be able to post a pic of an electrical box with the setup you are speaking of?

The contactor that I think you are speaking of seems to have shown its face in another thread!

http://www.bowltech.com/forums/showt...l=1#post472144
                              Nick

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                              Working...
                              X