Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• turret clutch assy.

Broke the weld on plate that holds post for torsion latch. Put new plate in. Oiled and greased all bushings and slides. When I reassembled all componets, the time delay gear turns way to slow to work properly. Seem to have a bind someplace. Clutch plate and all parts appear to be in good shape. The plate moves freely in its mountings. Had a 2 piece spring, swapped for 1 piece. The torsion arm that traps the time delay gear does not seem to be very far under the gear. That has to do with the rubber stop thickness. Spring and retainer ring are installed correctly, with roll pins in holes. Will disasemble again later. Was working fine until weld broke. Could something besides metal fatigue have caused this break?

You said the roll pins are in the holes but are they flush or slightly recessed in the spring retainer. If they are up ever so slightly it could put a bind on the oilite bearing on the friction disc. Also check the condition of the teeth on the friction disc and the time delay gear. Let us know what you find.
    (Psalm 37:29) The righteous themselves will possess the earth, And they will reside forever upon it.

Comment

Is there a chance you reversed the position of the bearings? Or perhaps contaminated the clutch facings when reinstalled.
      There is light at the end of the tunnel - just be sure it is not a train.

Comment

One thing with those older sleeve and plate assemblies is that they almost always need to be tweaked to make them work as they should. Before installing you need to make sure the post is perpendicular to the plate and that there is clearance between the torsion latch stop arm and the bottom of the delay gear. If the arm is rubbing you'll need to file the oilite on the bottom of the torsion latch; if the arm sits too low you only need to add a fine washer.

Adjusting the stop is as easy as using the wire wheel on a bench grinder on the stop surface. If you go too far you can add a washer behind the stop. The older plates allow for an easy view of the delay gear stop arm from underneath when installed. I allow a 1/16" gap between the delay gear stop arm and the side of the wedge on the delay gear.

Did you use the original 1/4" bolt and stud or did you drill out the hole on the plate and install the newer stud?
        Factory & Converted A-2 (US, Ger, Jap)
        Comscore ECT, Matrix & DuoHD
        Walker B, Sanction Standard, Original K, Flex Walker & Ikon
        Kegel C.A.T.S

Comment

If you did not put oil on the top of the spring retainer you could have problems with it not turning properly.

Comment

If you used the teflon facings make sure you have the turret clutch bolt tight.That's the biggest problem I have with those; I really have to muscle them.
            It's better to remain silent and let people think you're stupid than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

Have the white clutch facings. Made sure I did not finger them when assy. I did not oil top of retaining ring. Pins were properly seated in ring and holes in plate. I put a different plate in. Will try again today. Thanks for help.

Comment

Forgot I also scuff them a bit ith 150 grit sandpaper
                It's better to remain silent and let people think you're stupid than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

If you tightened the rivets to much when replacing the facings, they will distort the facings. I would place the clutch face down on a sheet of 80 to 100 grit sand paper and flatten the surface of the facings once again.

Comment

A helpfully trick for repaired slide plat is to in stall delay gear and shaft+stop arm to check alignment
                    [ some tweaking to welded repair can be accomplished with vice and adjustable ranch ] to stop arm plat

Comment

Originally posted by wepauls View Post
                      A helpfully trick for repaired slide plat is to in stall delay gear and shaft+stop arm to check alignment
                      [ some tweaking to welded repair can be accomplished with vice and adjustable ranch ] to stop arm plat
                      I tried that trick; but I shoved a 3 foot long pipe on the adjustable wrench, for extra leverage. You have to be careful when doing this, as you can distort the plate, and make it worse than before.

And sanding the clutch facings is a good temporary repair. The best bet is to remove the distorted facings and start all over again.

Finally, make certain that the roll pins in the spring retainer is below the point of being flush. Just a hair or two will do the trick. What will happen if the retainer is not lightly oiled, the ring will wear before the roll pins; and the roll pins will contact the bronze bearing on the clutch disk. But, that's in an unusually rare occurrence. On the other hand, it's better to be safe than sorry.

Comment

Tom hes has the slid plats off A machines not A2s
                        A2s have one level slid plats
                        i beleve As have a welded side arm for stop-arm 1/4" off /\ hire

Comment

11012012905.jpg

It doesn't take much to "adjust" the post position.
                          Factory & Converted A-2 (US, Ger, Jap)
                          Comscore ECT, Matrix & DuoHD
                          Walker B, Sanction Standard, Original K, Flex Walker & Ikon
                          Kegel C.A.T.S

Comment

Originally posted by wepauls View Post
                            Tom hes has the slid plats off A machines not A2s
                            A2s have one level slid plats
                            i beleve As have a welded side arm for stop-arm 1/4" off /\ hire
                            Bill, it doesn't matter if the pinsetters are As or A-2s. I have seen the flat slide plate in both As and A-2s.

Comment

Originally posted by jbl View Post
                              If you did not put oil on the top of the spring retainer you could have problems with it not turning properly.
                              Oil is 103 per brl. A few drops on the spring retainer, and ta-da. I forgot the KISS, Keep it Simple Stupid! Thanks to all.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                              Working...
                              X