Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken 4:1 ? I think so .what do you think ?.....video

I believe I have a broken four to one .....the 4:1 and the spring guide tube jump a little at about 80 degrees ....well the guide tube jumps the crank arm on the 4:1 falls about 10 degrees back when get to about 80....motor heated up and trippped the overload...Im thinking broken gear inside the 4;1 housing...any input would be great thanks!!! sorry about the video it was hard turning the gearbox with one hand and holding the camera in the other

I would suspect damage to the worm wheel and the input worm shaft. Time for a rebuild.
    Clarence Metzger

Comment

I have only removed the worm shaft at 270 but I cant advance the machine past approx. 170 and cant back it up past approx 80 ...I can get to 90 is there a procedure for this at 90 degrees ???

Comment

I would think you could pull the worm shaft at 90, but IT MUST BE ON STANDING PINS. As you know the worm holds the gear train together...Pulling it out without the deck supported or at 270 will cause the deck to crash down, and cause personal injury.
        My father told me to never get old...I should have listened!

Comment

Jhova:
          Check 4 to 1 removal under tech reference, Brunswick. It will outline removal at 90
          rfm

Comment

sounds like a bad worm wheel in the 4-1. i have changed one at 90. you would have to support the deck on an oor pin or anything that you can get the weight of the deck off the gb. there is a procedure for removing the 4-1 in the tech reference. also if you do change out the 4-1, i did block the 1-1 that way the gb doesnt move when you remove the 4-1, and alot easier for your timing marks.

Comment

I had the same exact problem and took out the spring guide tube and whammo the spring was broken into about 7 peices and replaced it with a new one and I was happy until I tried to cycle the machione
              and it was still locked up.I took out the worm shaft and the last in. of the worm shaft was broke off and the bronze gear was stripped out.I had to replace the 4 : 1and the worm shaft and all was good.
              Good luck Ron.

Comment

Originally posted by Phil_B View Post
                I would think you could pull the worm shaft at 90, but IT MUST BE ON STANDING PINS. As you know the worm holds the gear train together...Pulling it out without the deck supported or at 270 will cause the deck to crash down, and cause personal injury.
                You can pull the 4:1 at 90 degrees without supporting the deck on pins. The weight of the deck will hold the gear box in position. 90 and 270 are the same to the 2:1...so you will have no issues. Just be sure the weight of the deck is actually on the 2:1 and not on the deck holding hook. Follow the instructions suggested by Roscoe and you will be good.

For those that stated to support the deck with pins...if the gear box is at 90 degrees, the 2:1 will be at its lowest point in its travel. With the weight of deck on the 2:1 this would hold the 2:1 at its lowest point as the 2:1 can not go any lower and the weight will not allow it to go higher. Hope that helps explain why you can do this at 90 without supporting the deck with pins.
                Last edited by Steve Stafford (JBEES); 04-29-2012, 12:45 AM.
                TSM & TSM Training Development
                Main Event Entertainment
                480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

Good points Steve...Just figured to it's better to be a little overly safe than not.

Comment

so i pulled the worm shaft it is in good condition no gouges scrapes ect....and what I can see of the worm wheel/gear it looks like the new one I have in stock....is there a way to rotate the worm wheel to see the rest without messing up the position of the gear box...???

Comment

Not unless you lift the deck clear up, and even then its dangerous. The failed part of the gear is only about eight teeth and they are not visible at 90, usually about 80 to 75.
                      rfm

Comment

Drain the GB oil and look for chunks of bronze gear material in the oil. This will give you a clue...

Comment

From the video it looks like you are missing a few teeth off of the bronze gear for sure. When I rebuild anything I always change the keyways. Just good insurance....

Comment

By resting the deck on pins...you would allow the gear box to "float" while the 4:1 is out. You want the deck unsupported so it can hold the gear box in place while you align the 4:1 when re-installing.

To pull the 4:1 out if you already have the worm shaft out is about an hour (or less). I would go ahead and pull it out to be sure there are no issues with the teeth. JMO
                            TSM & TSM Training Development
                            Main Event Entertainment
                            480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

If deck is supported and you still cant move gear-box
                              [ snap a photo of crank link arm noticing arms portion as a clock ]
                              arm is pointing to the 7
                              when installing point arm to 7 you cant go wrong

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse