Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lift rod stud hardware

IMG_0308.jpg IMG_0310.jpg

So I am trying something with the use of different hardware for the lift rod stud. This is something I see a lot ^. Nylocks come loose but look tight, then over time they wear out the end of the lift rod as such. It becomes sort of counter sunk. Then when you go to put new hardware on, when you go to tighten it it will be tight for a bit and then shortly it will come loose and and the hardware becomes like above. If you put a washer to try to solve the problem it does not work because the nut just deforms the washer...I have tried putting thick grade 8 washers and it does the same. When you have the situation above, a lot of the time the nut will strip or deform the threads on the stud end. This happened on one of the ones I tried this to. I went over the threads with a 7/16"-20 die and was was able to get the new nut on nice and tight...I got lucky!

So I am doing an experiment with the use of 2 types of nuts.

IMG_0313.jpg IMG_0302.jpg IMG_0312.jpg IMG_0311.jpg

The first is a 7/16" top lock flange nut. Its got a meaty base on it that will prevent it from getting sucked into the couter sunk wear in the lift rod end. I tired some on thier own and some with a 1/2" external tooth lockwasher in case it comes loose without it. I got them from fastenal PN 0167017.

The second is a bit more pricy but I wanted to give it a try. It is a 7/16"-20 "disc-lock" nut from fastenal PN 11129047. It is a specialty nut that is supposed to prevent loosening by shock and vibration in high stress applications. I tried some on their own, and some with a thick grade 8 washer to see which works out best. On this one I think the washer will work out better because it will create a bigger foot print for the nut.

I will periodically check them and will see over time which works out better.
    Nick

Nick - I believe that you're on the right track. However, I would take it one step further. I would bore out the spring rod enough to insert a bronze oilite bushing. Run the separator shaft through the bushing. What this should accomplish is keeping the nuts tight on the separator shaft; and allow the spring rod to rotate on the separator shaft.

What I believe is happening is that vibrations and a tight fit with the spring rod causes the separator shaft to rotate, which loosens the nuts, therefore causing the "counter-sinking" problem.

Of course this is only theory, as I've been away from pinsetters for about a year and a half.

Comment

nick
      I found over the years 7/16"-20 lock nut with a 7/16 lock washer works very good
      even when things get whacked out to rod ends

most hold for years with monthly maintenance [titening ]

Comment

I don't use a flat washer. I find that they get bent when the nut is torqued down, and end up getting clamped on to the threads of the stud. I just put on a 7/16" split lock washer, and a ny-lock or regular nut and torque the bajesus out of it. I check them and torque them down annually, but most of the nuts stay tight.

Comment

Split lock-washers can separate with adverse torque. I have found that the lock nut called for along with sufficient torque keeps them tight...I use 100 foot pounds...using an actual torque wrench. I check these once a quarter but very rarely need to tighten them. Apply the torque wrench and it just clicks...letting me know that the proper torque is still present.

I have used grade 8 washers in the past and the same result occurs as with the grade 2 washers. It just took a longer amount of time for the washer to start to cup around the lock nut.
          TSM & TSM Training Development
          Main Event Entertainment
          480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

It is not a split lock washer. Its a heavy duty disc lock nut....time will tell how well these preform.
            Nick

Comment

We also tighten certain nuts/bolts quarterly which includes the lift rod hardware. Rarely I'll find one that has become loose. If I do, I replace the nut; this goes for all nylocs I find that have come loose.
              Factory & Converted A-2 (US, Ger, Jap)
              Comscore ECT, Matrix & DuoHD
              Walker B, Sanction Standard, Original K, Flex Walker & Ikon
              Kegel C.A.T.S

Comment

Nick, where did you get those lift rod caps?
                (Psalm 37:29) The righteous themselves will possess the earth, And they will reside forever upon it.

Comment

Originally posted by Popeye View Post
                  Nick, where did you get those lift rod caps?
                  I got mine from JCP. I think QAMF sells them too
                  Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Mechanick View Post
                    It is not a split lock washer. Its a heavy duty disc lock nut....time will tell how well these preform.
                    I was referring to wepauls statement that he uses lockwashers. I have seen many split lockwashers split once torqued to a level that will keep them tight in this application.
                    TSM & TSM Training Development
                    Main Event Entertainment
                    480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                    widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                    Working...
                    X