Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lubricants

Everybody has their own type of oil they like to use for different applications. Me, I like using 3n1 on oilite bearings, while using bar/chain oil on metal-metal parts. The other day while I was in Wal-Mart walking through the gun section I got to thinking... what about gun oil? If it's in something like a GUN, it has to be able to withstand the "punishment" on the machines, right? Especially for most centers that don't have that good of a PM. It would probably last a lot longer in between lubrications. Anybody try it before? Pros/Cons?
    jsebeny1980@gmail.com | jsebeny <--YouTube | Cell: 309-275-2453

On/In the Detector, I like to use a 50/50 mixture of bulk WD-40 and Marvel Mystery Oil from a spray bottle. On all the rest of the pivot points (except where grease is required), I use 90w gear oil. The reason for 90w is that is doesn't drip as fast as 30w and stays on the components longer.
    "Efficiency is, doing better what is already being done!"
    Pinsetter Technical Services 214-505-7663

Comment

I too prefer the 90 weight oil for lubrication. It lasts a lot longer than the lighter oils. Except for things like the hand dryer motors I use 3 in 1 oil. 90 weight bogs these small motors down.
      (Psalm 37:29) The righteous themselves will possess the earth, And they will reside forever upon it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lonnie_Mitchell View Post
        On/In the Detector, I like to use a 50/50 mixture of bulk WD-40 and Marvel Mystery Oil from a spray bottle. On all the rest of the pivot points (except where grease is required), I use 90w gear oil. The reason for 90w is that is doesn't drip as fast as 30w and stays on the components longer.
        Lonnie,
        Do you have feet or rollers in your detectors? Would you use this mixture in a detector with rollers?
        (Psalm 37:29) The righteous themselves will possess the earth, And they will reside forever upon it.

Comment

WD-40 means "water displacement," and the first 39 formulations didn't work. I've always used 20-50 motor oil in most applications, unless grease was required. One of the reasons for the 20-50 motor oil was that it's thin when cold; but, when parts get warmed up, the oil thickens. I believe that this combination works a lot better than 90 weight, which is a constant consistency.

Comment

90 W has a high shear factor, much superior to regular non detergent oil.
            rfm

Comment

I recall mention that 90w will not penetrate oilites the way the thinner oils will, or that it will now work its way into the places that a thinner one will. I use 90W in some places (cam surfaces, needle bearings) and a 10w 30 in other places (oilites).
              Nick

Comment

Marvel mystery oil...great stuff. Works wonders in oilites.
                TSM & TSM Training Development
                Main Event Entertainment
                480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

Originally posted by Popeye View Post
                  Lonnie,
                  Do you have feet or rollers in your detectors? Would you use this mixture in a detector with rollers?
                  Since I am not employed at any ONE center, and am self employed as a traveling technician, I service many centers, of which have detectors with both the feet and rollers.

I use this mixture in all detectors. The WD-40 displaced the water, cleans, breaks up and frees rusty components and the Marvel Mystery Oil keeps these areas well lubricated and as Steve said, it works great in Oilites.

Comment

Originally posted by Mechanick View Post
                    I recall mention that 90w will not penetrate oilites the way the thinner oils will, or that it will now work its way into the places that a thinner one will. I use 90W in some places (cam surfaces, needle bearings) and a 10w 30 in other places (oilites).
                    Ditto.
                    Factory & Converted A-2 (US, Ger, Jap)
                    Comscore ECT, Matrix & DuoHD
                    Walker B, Sanction Standard, Original K, Flex Walker & Ikon
                    Kegel C.A.T.S

Comment

I only used WD40 to clean with and it works great for this.
                      30w and 10 w 30
                      Prizm penetrating lubricant with PTFE (Teflon). Great spray lube came out as a liquid and then would gel up after a a few minuets. Works great where a little thicker lube is needed, I once had the bearings in the bottom pulley for the shaker drive belt and all the ball bearings fell out during a full house tournament and after spraying with this it ran for 3 hours with the inner and outer races rubbing with no problems. It was not cheap but It is one of the slickest lubes I've ever used.

Wish I had thought about Marvel Mystery oil great product.
                      For Sale, Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Comment

I agree with Lonnie. I have used the same combo for many years....works great.

Comment

Some in the Auto industry are using PAM! (where it might come in contact with paint)
                          Over WD-40.
                          If at first you don't succeed, try, try, again. Then quit. There's no use being a damn fool about it.&quot; -W.C.Fields

Comment

Originally posted by Lonnie_Mitchell View Post

Lonnie,
                            How much do you spray in the detector? Do you put rags under to catch drips? I have just ordered some Marvel Mystery Oil and have been looking on this site for how people are using it. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Popeye View Post
                              Lonnie,
                              How much do you spray in the detector? Do you put rags under to catch drips? I have just ordered some Marvel Mystery Oil and have been looking on this site for how people are using it. Thanks!
                              Popeye,
                              I use 2 very slow squeezes of the spray bottle for a light mist over the detector during the cycle. Don't spray directly into the detector. I don't have much of a problem with drippings. Always a good idea to have a rag ready if there are any

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                              Working...
                              X