Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 hp motor failures ???

What are the most common reasons 1 hp motors fail...burn up...trip the overload???

Full of dirt?
    rfm

Comment

I have to go with Roscoe on this one. It is extremely important to keep dirt build up out of these motors, especially the old GE motors that depend on air flow through them to keep windings from overheating.

There are a few other less common reasons such as a broken lever on the start winding switch or a failed start capacitor or even a gearbox issue such as a worm gear being worn or no oil in the gearbox.

Look at the bottoms of all of your motors be sure that the motor screens are clear. If not inspected and cleaned on a regular basis the airflow will be choked off causing the overheating of the motor windings.

Mike
      Mike Wilson
      Bowl-Tech Inc..

Comment

If the motor is hot when running (should be warm) it is running it is full of dirt and not getting air flow thru the motor. Take apart and clean and pack bearing and they should run cooler and last longer. I would take mine outside and blow out the windings with the air compressor, you would not believe how much dirt can collect in the motor.
        For Sale, Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Comment

I use a touchless infrared thermometer to check the temperature of motors, log the temperatures and then note any increases in temperature over time.

The temps are checked about 1 hour into a league (each Wednesday as we are full on that day) so the results were consistent in run time. This lets me know when the motor is getting clogged ahead of the schedule I have set up for cleaning the motors out. Currently the motors are on a 4 year cleaning schedule. In the center I am currently in, the last of the motors will be cleaned by August and we will start the cycle over again. One of the reasons to track the temps this past 4 years is to be sure no motor began getting hot before its "appointment" came up. I doubt I will need to continue the regiment after we finish the last motor as I have yet to see any motor in this center full of dirt and I am very certain none of them were cleaned for over 5 years before I arrived. However, the readings will continue just to see if the theory holds water.
          TSM & TSM Training Development
          Main Event Entertainment
          480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

Due to the number of smaller centers i service most motors never get cleaned out, and i have found that most failures happen during the summer when machines have been shut down for several weeks and not run at all, and i suspect that most of the time when the humidity is up, dirt in the motors collects moisture and shorts them out.
            Brent V
            Hi-tech Repairs-Duck tape & ty raps

Comment

Originally posted by brentman1 View Post
              Due to the number of smaller centers i service most motors never get cleaned out, and i have found that most failures happen during the summer when machines have been shut down for several weeks and not run at all, and i suspect that most of the time when the humidity is up, dirt in the motors collects moisture and shorts them out.
              That's a good possibility. Motors need to be run periodically, twice a week minimum. Without the main motors, machines don't run.

Depending on the size of the center, go in a week or two before going back into fulltime operation and clean out the motors and give the machines a complete check-out.. This will eliminate problems while the center is in operation.

Comment

I do the same thing as Steve with the thermometer.

Marty - Pro Bowl West
                56 Jap A-2's Qubica VDB's
                2 Kustodian Walkers
                http://s1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa408/a2mechanic

Comment

When I take a motor out for cleaning I like to wash out the bearings and repack with grease. Or if the bearings are bad they get replaced.
                  (Psalm 37:29) The righteous themselves will possess the earth, And they will reside forever upon it.

Comment

This may sound a little crazy but,,,,,,I use to run my motors through the kitchen dishwasher when I got them disassembled.

Of course, this was after I ran the computer boards through, LOL.

These are what I used on my Toshiba motors.

http://www.palmerwahl.com/product_ho...ine=75&itm=352

A box of 20 for $21.00, can't beat the price! Also, they are non-reversible. I put one on the motor winding area, and one on the gear box at the worm shaft area. Once they detect heat at their trip point and change color, they stay that color.
                    Last edited by jim_long; 06-01-2012, 03:27 PM.

Comment

I finally got around to starting cleaning all 48 of our motors. I dont think theyve been touched since the place opened in the '50s with how much dirt is in them. When I placed it on the workbench about 1lb of dust came out of the vents.

But I Just take the air compressor to it for most of it, then take a rag to whatevers left. A fresh coat of paint and some grease and we slap em back on

Comment

An air compressor is good for cleaning them out but I would let it sit for a day or two before putting it on. Water can accumulate in your compressor tank and get into the motor when you are spraying it down.
                        (Psalm 37:29) The righteous themselves will possess the earth, And they will reside forever upon it.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                        widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                        Working...
                        X