Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worn friction disk

IMG_20120528_163553.jpgtemp.jpg I came across this friction disk assembly while rebuilding a turret. Never saw one look like this before and wanted your opinions. It's obviously wider (and longer) than what is normal. Is it ok to still use even though it's worn the way it is? My question is what will happen when it wears down enough and there's the inside edge that's keeping the top clutch disk from contacting the friction disk. Better to just install a different facing?
    jsebeny1980@gmail.com | jsebeny <--YouTube | Cell: 309-275-2453

Personal opinion John, I'd get rid of it. I,ve seen a few of those and never had much luck with them. I like ones like i pulled couple weeks ago at Striketown, original Otis copper w/carbon discs. Cleaned it up, a little oil & grease, new carbon discs and good to go. Only problem is the rivet holes are smaller and you have to grind down edges of carbon discs to fit and that is a PITA. I think all of them are still copper.
    Brent V
    Hi-tech Repairs-Duck tape &amp; ty raps

Comment

That's the new Brunswick style. I can only see the extended surface producing more friction once it makes contact with the ridge below the surface of the top pulley.

I've got several in the same state, perhaps slightly more worn... No problem here...but the extra cost of them just isn't worth it IMO.
      Factory & Converted A-2 (US, Ger, Jap)
      Comscore ECT, Matrix & DuoHD
      Walker B, Sanction Standard, Original K, Flex Walker & Ikon
      Kegel C.A.T.S

Comment

i was thinking of junking them myself. i think it'd be smarter anyway than having the inside edge still "new" compared to the rest of the piece and most likely causing issues down the road. i'll talk to w/the HM and see what he'd rather do. overall though, it WOULD be ok to keep it this way, correct?

Comment

John
          You can always redo pads by sanding down unwarned even with the rest
          Easiest way is to lay a sheet of 60 gr paper a flat serves
          As long as you have 3/16th at the rivets

Comment

John...there are no issues using that style. They are sold by Quality and Murrey International. I have not had any issues with them. If the inner surface does eventually reach any of the other surface of the drive pulley, it will wear at the same rate as the rest of the friction material. It will not cause the disc to slip.

I prefer these versus the white ones personally...but that is just my take on them.
            TSM & TSM Training Development
            Main Event Entertainment
            480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

I agree with Steve, used the black ones for years and was the best I found.
              formerly dunsel
              ITS NOT HOW MUCH YOU KNOW ITS HOW MUCH YOU CARE!!!!!

Comment

ive heard of the black ones being more durable than the white ones. im just wondering about the wear. I see what Steve is saying, that both will wear at the same rate, so it won't really make much of a difference switching it to the white ones.

Comment

I have heard of issues with the black ones...but I think that was a manufacturing issue years ago. I have not seen an issue with them since. Clean everything up and put it back in and see if anything occurs. I doubt it will but it will make a nice experiment...and I know you are not afraid of trying things like that.
                  Main Event Entertainment

Comment

well we've never had an issue (as long as I've been there--since September). only bad part is, I can't remember which turret it came from, 25 or 26 hahah. only issue i do know we had was the turret would fail to index at the #1 spot (lane 26). I'll put it all back together and install it and keep an eye on it and keep this up to date as best i can.

Comment

If it fails to index at the 1...it isn't the clutch facing. Other issues cause that problem.
                      Main Event Entertainment

Comment

If you have just replaced the short turret belt and have a bind or what seems to be a fail to index at the 1 position the spider release cam can hit the front of the top turrret clutch pulley if the belt is to short
                        formerly dunsel
                        ITS NOT HOW MUCH YOU KNOW ITS HOW MUCH YOU CARE!!!!!

Comment

i guess i should've made it clearer... as of now we are not having that issue (swapped out turrets since we're rebuilding them anyway). we did have that issue on 26 however. none so far

Comment

those black one work great when you have a pulley turned down past the wear groove. the wider facing rides on all of the pulley alowing it not to break by being thin. you get extra life out of old pulleys.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                            widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                            Working...
                            X