Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clutch cam oil seal replacement >>>>

what is the proper method of changing the oil seal on the clutch cam on the 4:1 ?

LOTO
    I personally remove the cross conveyor at this point but you can try this without doing that. It takes about 10 minutes to remove the cross conveyor and will give you so much room to work...you will thank yourself later.
    Drain the oil in the gear box.
    Remove cam.
    Remove spacer that is behind the cam.
    You can remove the O-ring if you like to prevent accidental damage from any tools you might use.
    Using a seal removal tool, place the sharp end in between the seal and the 4:1 shaft.
    You should now be able to pry it out. Here is a pic of a seal remover similar to what I use.

You may need to pry a couple of times in different locations but the seal should come right out.
    To install the new one...find a socket that will fit the metal outer cover of the new seal. It should also be large enough to fit over the 4:1 shaft...but if it fits the seal, that should not be an issue.
    Align the new seal, place your socket over the metal section of the seal and tap the new seal into the 2:1 housing. Be sure you keep the seal square to the housing and drive it in until the outer metal part of the seal is flush with the housing.
    Put O-ring back on if you removed it earlier.
    Place spacer back over O-ring and inside seal. (Lube lightly with gear oil before installing)
    Install cam
    Replace cross conveyor.
    Fill gear box back up.

This is how I do this. I usually replace the cross conveyor with a rebuilt/painted one that I would have made up before starting this project.
    Last edited by Steve Stafford (JBEES); 06-01-2012, 01:47 AM.
    TSM & TSM Training Development
    Main Event Entertainment
    480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

Draining the oil is good practise, however not required for this procedure. In fact the two to one can be removed without draining the oil.
      rfm

Comment

Be careful when you reinstall the cam. IT can be installed 180 out.

Comment

When I typed this up...I actually had that draining the oil is optional...but I changed that as from time to time...gear boxes can be overfilled. Draining the oil would prevent spillage if it was overfilled. Roscoe is correct...draining should not be needed...but I certainly wouldn't want to say you didn't need to do it and have a mess later...
          TSM & TSM Training Development
          Main Event Entertainment
          480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Stafford (JBEES) View Post
            Roscoe is correct...draining should not be needed...but I certainly wouldn't want to say you didn't need to do it and have a mess later...
            Personally, I would drain the oil. The old oil may contain metal filings, which could cause additional wear on the gears and bearings. Flushing the gearbox and refilling with clean oil would keep the gearbox clean and well lubricated.

And with poor record keeping, you don't know how long the old oil has been in the gearbox.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
            widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
            Working...
            X