Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• winding geneva pulley

I had a helper thought he knew what he was doing and took both geneva plates off, I was never shown how to wind it back. Which direction? How much wind does it need?

If cables are stall on just replace the plates

If not 1.1/2 turns should do the trick

Comment

Pardon the intrusion but I kept hearing the phrase 'geneva plate' or 'geneva wheel' and was curious being an AMF mech. I'm assuming it has to do with this mechanical device? Never heard of it but very interesting. Didn't get much chance to really dig into Brunswicks now that Adam Davis is gone from the biz but eventually would like to really see the guts of them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geneva_drive
      Failed safety course.Question #1:In case of fire what steps do you take? Apparently 'Friggin long ones!" is the wrong answer.

Comment

Is it clockwise or counter clockwise. He changed moving deck cable and took off both plates to check the rollers, because he said it wasnt shifting properly.

Comment

Originally posted by Pietenpol View Post
          Pardon the intrusion but I kept hearing the phrase 'geneva plate' or 'geneva wheel' and was curious being an AMF mech. I'm assuming it has to do with this mechanical device?
          The geneva "wheel" is a pulley, located on the left (7 pin) side of the deck assembly, and is, essentially, a cam follower. The cam(s) are the geneva plates.

The geneva plates are located on both sides of the deck, and are connected by the torsion shaft. Wound around the torsion shaft is a torsion spring. The geneva plates are, aso, connected to the moving deck assembly.

What happens is this: located on the gearbox is a cam that operates once per cycle. This cam has two purposes, depending on the ball cycle. First, through a cam follower, it closes and opens the scissors, and; second, through another cam follower, operates the moving deck. The scissor cam follower is connected by a link that runs to a pulley (located on the "bastard shaft") that, when it rotates, operates a cable which (again through linkage) closes and opens the scissors.

The other cam follower operates, through cables, the moving deck. Basically, the cam follower relaxes the cable; however, tension is provided by the torsion spring. The torsion spring forces the moving deck to the rear through the geneva plates, thus opening the deck and allowing it to spot ten pins to the lane.

Both of the 1 to 1 cam followers are controlled by a blocking finger (which some guys call a "flag") which gets its signal from the detector; which, in turn, gets its signal from the height of the deck above the lane during its cycle.

I know that this explanation isn't perfect; but it should give you some idea of what happens during a pinsetter's cycle. Steve, I hope that it answers your question.

Comment

Originally posted by Pietenpol View Post
            Pardon the intrusion but I kept hearing the phrase 'geneva plate' or 'geneva wheel' and was curious being an AMF mech. I'm assuming it has to do with this mechanical device? Never heard of it but very interesting. Didn't get much chance to really dig into Brunswicks now that Adam Davis is gone from the biz but eventually would like to really see the guts of them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geneva_drive
            The Geneva Drive for the Brunswick pinsetter uses two rollers to produce the movement. The rollers are located just off center of the pulley. Here is a picture of the rollers and the plate on one side.

In this setup...the shaft with the rollers will rotate clockwise as you see it to move the moving deck to the rear. After half a revolution, each of the rollers will be in one slot each. During the next half revolution, the moving deck will move further to the rear. The Geneva drive refers to the pin riding in a slot...much like the rollers here riding in the slot.

Hope that makes more sense and helps in understanding the use of the "Geneva" term.
            Last edited by Steve Stafford (JBEES); 06-27-2012, 02:05 AM.
            TSM & TSM Training Development
            Main Event Entertainment
            480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

Thank you both. I read that wiki article that described the concept of a geneva wheel and its neat to see how its been used in this application.
              Failed safety course.Question #1:In case of fire what steps do you take? Apparently 'Friggin long ones!" is the wrong answer.

Comment

Riverside:
                Not to rechange the topic but, the spring is wound clockwise if you are looking straight on at the 7 side rollers
                rfm

Comment

Thank you Roscoe and Wepauls!

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                  widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                  Working...
                  X