Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loud Pits

I have a pit that is louder than any other pit I have worked with. I have checked all of the bolts to make sure they are tight. Any suggestions?

What kind of noise are you hearing? Banging...bearing rumble...ticking...
    And, welcome to Bowl Tech!
    (Psalm 37:29) The righteous themselves will possess the earth, And they will reside forever upon it.

Comment

Yeah, what Popeye said. And check your upper and lower pit frames. May have one that is busted. Usually when the lower frame breaks it makes the most noise. Sounds like a threshing machine. And if it ain't a busted frame, pull the vibrator shaft assy. and take to the shop and check all bearings and replace as needed.
      It is wiser to find out than suppose.--Mark Twain

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

I know I am going to probably catch a lot of flack for this but I used to take the motor to gb belt off and turn the machine on and climb into the pit to see what was making the noise. I would do this both with the pit board in and out.
          "Hey, barkeep, whose leg do you have to hump to get a dry martini around here?"

Comment

Originally posted by chipman View Post
            I know I am going to probably catch a lot of flack for this but I used to take the motor to gb belt off and turn the machine on and climb into the pit to see what was making the noise. I would do this both with the pit board in and out.
            YOU WOULD BE A LOT SAFER IF YOU REMOVE PIT-DRIVE BELT OFF DRIVE ARM AND SET UP A 1/4 MOTOR TO DRIVE PIT SYSTEM
            CHECK AND REPAIR AS NEEDED

Comment

Pits that make lots of noise...like a train coming down the tracks...will no doubt need to be pulled apart and inspected for broken parts, bad bearings and even loose bolts. There are many different things that can cause a pit to make noise...so jump in with both feet and take a look. After you determine that the pit board is not the issue...loose clamps ar broken clamping bolts, remove the pit board and grab the upper pit frame and try to move it back and forth. Loose main bolts, loose jogger arm bolts, bad bearings or inner races will no doubt show at this point. You will feel it move back and forth and possibly hear it tick if this is the issue. If this fails to reveal the issue, remove the upper frame by removing the Keps nuts at the four corners of the upper frame and the bolts that go through the small bearings in the jogger arms. This will allow you to remove the upper frame. You can then remove the 6 bolts that hold the main shaft bearings to the lower frame and remove the shaft assembly. (Don't forget to remove the drive belt) Remember to grab the inner races from the small bearings in the jogger arms so you don't lose them. Lastly, you can check the lower frame for breaks and remove the frame if need be by removing the four locknuts that hold it to the sub-mounting plates.
              TSM & TSM Training Development
              Main Event Entertainment
              480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Stafford (JBEES) View Post
                . Lastly, you can check the lower frame for breaks and remove the frame if need be by removing the four locknut's that hold it to the sub-mounting plates.
                AFTER REMOVING LOWER FRAME LEAVE ALL WASHERS ON THAR BOLTS SO LEAVING THE LOWER PIT FRAME WILL BE THE SAME AS IT WAS
                IT would be a good time to clean out the pit

Comment

I've seen a few lanes that have had issues with the 'flat' style jogger arms where the top front of the arms have been hitting the bottom of the pit frame causing a metallic "rat tat tat" sound... especially when the weight of a ball and pins is added to the pit board.

Just had one this week actually. A quick fix is to add a couple of flat washers to the top pit mounts to raise the frame a little. Or, you can grind the jogger arms where they hit the frame.

Check for any broken or 'sagging' pit mounts first, of course.

Comment

With the flat jogger arms, make sure they are in correctly. They may not look like it but there is a top and bottom to them. One side is angled slightly to keep it from hitting the top shaker frame.
                    You don't have to be crazy to do this job...But it helps!

Comment

Originally posted by chipman View Post
                      First off, and as I would tell new hires, these machines are DANGEROUS! Tag out lock out the whole machine before climbing in. It doesn't matter what you're going to be working on, TOLO first. Use a drop cord trouble light or a flashlight to see what you're looking at.

As Steve Stafford mentioned, there are lots of things that can cause a noisy pit. It could be some as simple as a clamping bolt hitting the tail plank to a bad bearing.

Here's something that will make noise like a freight train rolling through........

Look for metal filings on the floor. This will be a good indication of a bad bearing or loose hardware.

One other thing, if the pit board is bouncing, use a piece of worn ball lift rod cover, and clamp on the shaker frame.....

Used ball lift rod cover stock is handy to keep around. You can use it to replace or shim missing pit board rubber strips.

Comment

I stopped working on shakers in pinsetters i keep a whole assembley rebuilt and ready to drop in board out 4 bolts and a belt done no back pains lol makes for a nice easy repair project while the pinsetters are all running and I take them completely apart and check everthing and always replace all 12 rubber mounts re grease vibrater shaft and check bearings check for frame cracks worn clamp asembleys by doing this when you reinstall them they will run for years without any problems plus I use a 2 1/2 inch elevator drive pulley to slow things down so frames dont crack near as much bearings last longer to / Bill Castaways bowl

Comment

I have pulled pit frames that previous mechanics have welded the frame to the sub-plate because of the mounting holes being worn out. Sub-plates with loose or worn lag bolts will enlarge the plate's mounting holes. I have at many times, had to drill new holes in the sub-plate and add new lag bolts. Cracked or broken sub-plates and loose lag bolts, will make noises and you will never find this cause unless you get in there with a good flashlight or drop light.

Here is an example of some of the plates I have dealt with;

Photo09151.jpg Photo09141.jpg
                          "Efficiency is, doing better what is already being done!"
                          Pinsetter Technical Services 214-505-7663

Comment

Turn pinsetter off and make sure it will stay off. Remove tension from ball wheel belt. Assemble cordless drill, 1/4" hex drive to 3/8" square drive adapter, extension, 3/4" socket. Put socket on rear nut of pulley arm shaft. Run drill clockwise so you don't loosen the nut. Listen as you vary the speed of the drill.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                            widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                            Working...
                            X